"Reality TV Shows"

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

"Reality TV Shows"

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:02 pm

As an American living abroad, with admitted limited language skills & an even more limited selection of TV shows in English, I'm seeing more and more "reality shows" (especially on the "History" channel ~ talk about a misnomer ~ I'll save that rant for another time).

I cringed when "Swamp People" and that "Honey-Boo-Boo" & Kardashian nonsense hit the airwaves. This morning I turned on the TV and got my dose of CNN (another rant :twisted: ) and saw yet another drivel-proported-to-be-"reality"-TV show entitled "Big Giant Swords".

"Reality" shows now run the gamut from toddlers in tiaras (which is beyond :? & hopefully off the air in all civilised countries), to lumberjacks engaging in unsafe logging, to guys who drive 18-wheelers over ice roads, some guy driving a taxi in the world's worse traffic, ghost and parnormal hunters too numerous to mention ~ but all purported to be "real", to pawn shops in Vegas & South Africa...Now some guys are driving across Alaska on some sort of 4-wheel-drive race while other guys are "alone" on some reomote part of Vancouver Island facing extremely bad weather, man-eating wildlife such as insects, bears & cougars (not the type found in bars)...

Is it just me, or have we become a culture of voyeurs?

Not expecting a response - I'm just happy that sa.com is here to allow me to ventilate...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: "Reality TV Shows"

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:48 am

Garbage I mean reality t.v. is much cheaper to produce than paying actors, writers, etc. Oh the irony. There was more to watch back in the 3 channel universe than there is now with 100 channels. Now there's nothing to watch. At all.

If I had to pick a favorite though, I would go with COPS. It has no script and is in fact "real" life.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Re: "Reality TV Shows"

Postby DeckApe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:28 pm

I thnk Earl hit the problem right on the head... cheap to produce. We watch it because that's all there is.

Well, some do. I tend not to. Except maybe Ghost Hunters if I can find it (I ditched pay TV a year ago). Because Steve Gonsalves. :twisted:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure