A Morbid Question...

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

A Morbid Question...

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Living far away from home, I try my best to keep up with the hometown news via the on-line edition of the newspaper...which, as morbid as it sounds, includes reading the obituaries on a regular basis...Some of the write-ups are worthy of a book or major motion picture (especially those guys and gals of the Great Depression & Greatest Generation), some bring a tear to my eye (guys that are my age or younger, mothers/fathers leaving small kids behind)...others just a passing mention on a headstone.... I've seen flowery, sentimental tributes that were obviously written to placate relatives (or heirs of an estate) & those that white-wash a life of abuse...some with a genuine sense of loss...Obits run the gamut of journalistic prose ~ and once they're printed, will be read for generations to come...

Before I left on my current overseas assignment & being single, I wrote out my obituary - gave it in a sealed envelope to my brother - with instructions that it be opened only upon my death. I was looking to spare my family the pain of having to write an obit ~ and to avoid the flowery (and often inaccurate) prose of the obit-writers... It is written as a matter-of-fact statement of my life, a brief family history (written for those generations that come after me that are interested in family history ~ and happen to read the local newspaper)...short, sweet & to the point. Absolutely nothing sentimental...I'm hoping that it won't be published for a very long time...

So, a long prelude to the quesition: HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF WRITING YOUR OWN OBITUARY (or at least told your loved ones how you want to be remembered in print for posterity)?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: A Morbid Question...

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 am

I never used to read them when I was younger but I do now. I never even thought about death when I was younger. Now it's a sad fact of life I deal with every day. :(

It's always extra sad to see young people on that page. I see more and more parents of people I grew up with in there now. Seems that if you're a man and you make it past 85 you are extremely rare.

I'm the youngest in our family so I don't think I'll bother with an obituary.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:00 am

Actually, writing your own obituary is not such a bad idea. They messed up my dad's age in the newspaper. He was 56 when he died and the paper said he was 58.

None of us are invincible and preparing for the inevitable is a good thing that includes writing your will especially a living will. You can be young and die too.

I turned 50 this year so this sort of thing has been on my mind lately.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Hmmm, I think it's kind of morbid but I guess it has to be done, eh? I would hope that someone in my family thought enough of me to be able to write my obit, but now that you mention it...

Meh. No one will miss me anyway.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Users Forum