Your Oldest Friend

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Your Oldest Friend

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Not in terms of chronological age...but who's the friend you've known the longest?

Last night I had dinner with a friend of mine that I've known since high school. We've kept in touch over the years (ok, decades) and see each other once every couple of years...Christmas cards, birthday greetings and the occasional e-mail...Even though I rarely see him & we've gone our own seperate ways over the years, every time we meet up, it's like we're back in high school...I still consider him my closest friend.

Who's the person you've been friends with the longest?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Your Oldest Friend

Postby nimby » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Believe it or not, I'm still in touch with most of my childhood friends, and these are friends that I was born with and we all grew up together on the same tiny little street. Although we have all gone our separate ways, we still try to stay in touch and see eachother as often as we can. I had an amazing childhood. A whole group of us kids, all about the same age, all grew up from infancy right through to adulthood. We were all a witness to eachother's triumphs and tragedies throughout our lives. I wouldn't trade those memories for the world.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 am

My friend Ernie and I grew up on the same street, two houses away from each other. We've known each other over 35 years. He lives in Las Vegas now so we are still in touch and see each other occasionally.
edu999

Postby Sweeet » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:37 pm

I've known my oldest friend since we were in 7th grade together. I say we grew up together. It's funny how you think you have it bad until you meet someone who has it worst. Some friends become family, so he's my brother.

While I was in the Marine Corps, his life unraveled. He got involved in drugs and went to prison. He'd get straight and crash. In and out of rehab. Meetings everyday. After five years drug free, I'd get a call telling me he's going back into treatment. He's lost everything (home, profession) but he's drawn to drugs. He's been dealing with his struggle for at least twenty years. I can't help but feel a little guilty because I didn't do enough or wasn't there for him when he needed me. But I know it's his fight and all I can offer is support and be there for him.
Different men often see the same subjects in different lights; and, therefore, I hope that it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen, if, entertaining as I do, speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve.-PH
Sweeet

Postby Davy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:17 pm

My longest-running friendship has been going on since 1978, when I was 5. Doing that math, that must be 32 years? A long time for sure.
Davy

Postby olywaguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Davy wrote:My longest-running friendship has been going on since 1978, when I was 5. Doing that math, that must be 32 years? A long time for sure.

Your teddy bear?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby DeckApe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:22 am

Davy wrote:My longest-running friendship has been going on since 1978, when I was 5. Doing that math, that must be 32 years? A long time for sure.

Right there with you, even down to the dates. The first kid I met in kindergarten.

Though come to think of it, once in a great long while I see people from the old neighborhood which pre-dates that...
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Lesley R. Charles » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:32 pm

My oldest friend in terms of being friends the longest is Alyssa, I have known her since 4th grade. She also is transgendered like me, unfortunately I did not know this until a year ago. We both grew up hiding the same issues. The great thing is that we still feel the same way with each other. I spent some time with her just before Christmas and it really was the same.
Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/lesleycharles
Lesley R. Charles

Postby DeckApe » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:25 am

Lesley R. Charles wrote:My oldest friend in terms of being friends the longest is Alyssa, I have known her since 4th grade. She also is transgendered like me, unfortunately I did not know this until a year ago. We both grew up hiding the same issues. The great thing is that we still feel the same way with each other. I spent some time with her just before Christmas and it really was the same.

There's nothing quite like finding a kindred spirit. That's awesome.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Lesley R. Charles » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:34 am

DeckApe wrote:
Lesley R. Charles wrote:My oldest friend in terms of being friends the longest is Alyssa, I have known her since 4th grade. She also is transgendered like me, unfortunately I did not know this until a year ago. We both grew up hiding the same issues. The great thing is that we still feel the same way with each other. I spent some time with her just before Christmas and it really was the same.

There's nothing quite like finding a kindred spirit. That's awesome.

It is. The funny thing is my mother always said that my friend and I were a lot alike. I just wish we both were not afraid to say anything and maybe experimented together. Oh, well that is water under the bridge.
Lesley R. Charles

Postby J » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Great to see you around Lesley! For a while I thought I'd be the lone 9/26er!
J

Postby Lesley R. Charles » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:46 am

Glad to be back J. We, 9/26er's have to stick together. :D
Lesley R. Charles

Postby RedKen99 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Guinness Fan wrote:Not in terms of chronological age...but who's the friend you've known the longest?

Last night I had dinner with a friend of mine that I've known since high school. We've kept in touch over the years (ok, decades) and see each other once every couple of years...Christmas cards, birthday greetings and the occasional e-mail...Even though I rarely see him & we've gone our own seperate ways over the years, every time we meet up, it's like we're back in high school...I still consider him my closest friend.

Who's the person you've been friends with the longest?

I call him Jimm. We are both are trying to get our lives together (jobs, living arrangements and etc.)? We both love the night, and horror films. :D
RedKen99

Return to Users Forum