25Years Ago

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

25Years Ago

Postby Guinness Fan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 pm

On Friday, a buddy of mine retired after 25 years on the job...Over a few drinks we were geezing as to how fast the time flies & where we were 25 years ago.

Me; Working in Memphis, TN. I left for Europe shortly thereafter & haven't been back there since.

You: ?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: 25Years Ago

Postby olywaguy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:35 pm

In 1986 I was with my parents (who are missionaries) helping them in the mission field. We were living in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana (Cut-Off, LA) at the time. Then in the fall 1987, I would enter LSU as a junior and graduate from there in 1989 and remain in Baton Rouge up until 1996 (my first library job was with LSU from 1993 - 1996).

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Schlodesss » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:39 am

Riding my 1983 KX 80 balls out on a small supercross track my neighbor built for me in his field because he saw what a monster my dad was...
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby nimby » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 am

I was still in highschool (grade 11) and proably getting ready for a Depeche Mode concert.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Re: 25 Years Ago

Postby DeckApe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:48 pm

I was in seventh grade, going through all the usual 7th grade stuff. I was still a year away from discovering masturbation and homosexuality.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:05 pm

March of 1986? I was in 9th grade going on 10th (the Philippine school year ends around March 20-31). Had just started experimenting with smoking cigarettes and alcohol. Listened to New Order, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and Depeche Mode. Could not stand Madonna. Was obsessed with Charlie Sheen (hahahaha when I look at him now) and Andrew McCarthy, but never talked about it with anyone. Was turning down invitations to friends' parties because I didn't know how to dance.
edu999

Postby jabpcola » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Having retired from 21 years of Naval Service and returning to college for a degree in Computer Science, I was 2 years into my 2nd career, Federal Civil Service as a System's Engineer. A rewarding career from which I retired in January of 2004 after 20 years.

In a way, those were the "Good old days", a hellova lot of very good memories...
jabpcola

Postby doctor dan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Spring break 1986. I was in the throes of my first true love affair with my college boyfriend. I was a senior and having the time of my life! I had seven housemates, all of whom I really liked. I had been accepted to all of the PhD programs I had applied to, so I knew what I would be doing the next year. I had considered employment, but just learned that I had been turned down by the Company for employment due to my background check (out, gay); however, I had an offer from another, even more secretive governmental agency (after a second, separate background check -- go figure). I opted for graduate school.

I was driving my 1984 Vette (Che-vette, that is!), which was a horrible, unsafe piece of crap. But it got me to Florida and South Padre for several spring breaks over the years. That year was the first really big spring break on South Padre following the Ixtoc oil disaster in 1980 that closed most of the beach resorts there for years. What a trip down memory lane...
doctor dan

Postby J » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:10 pm

I was 10 years old and in the fourth grade. Sometime this time of the year we took a field trip (which was maybe 2 miles away) to the JFK museum/memorial in Hyannisport. That's all that comes to mind. I remember a lot of events from that year, but as far as specific dates, it's been too long and I was too young.
J

Postby mojo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Never thought I'd be old enough to answer a question like this, but here we are, guys......'86, huh? Hmm. Young, idealistic, the goody two-shoes of the family who never got in trouble, gainfully employed, sexually inexperienced and pretty damn naive,and a year later fell in love with the nicest girl I ever met (and still am in love with her) We'd marry a year later. Homoerotic feelings ran thru me at times but were far overshadowed by my placid, peaceful existence, and I chose to keep them unexplored. Fast forward 20 years-- mid-life crisis hit completely out of the blue, on several occasions I uncharacteristically overdrank and ended up experimenting. Several times. Yeah, I liked it...but had to "make a choice", said both of the counselors I sought out. My choice was my wife and family, but she had a choice too-----and she walked out, and everything went. Now, three years later, I still miss her but am back on my feet.....and thinking if it were 25 years ago, I'd do some things differently. (LOL---Sorry, man---guess I should've just answered your question in ten words or less !)
mojo

Postby nimby » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 pm

mojo wrote:Yeah, I liked it...but had to "make a choice", said both of the counselors I sought out. My choice was my wife and family, but she had a choice too-----and she walked out, and everything went. Now, three years later, I still miss her but am back on my feet.....and thinking if it were 25 years ago, I'd do some things differently. (LOL---Sorry, man---guess I should've just answered your question in ten words or less !)

Geez, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hazard to say that the councellors were wrong. Why did you "have to make a choice"? There are lots of happily married bi and even gay men with understanding and compassionate wives. Believe me, I know. It all comes down to how it was handled. But too late for that I guess. Best of luck in the future.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby mojo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks, nimby--sounds like you've racked up a few experiences too. The "pro's" saw I was pretty torn as to what to do at the time, so it was felt the best thing to do was Choice A or Choice B. But, much as I love her, she's an "old-fashioned girl"---very straight-laced, and I knew what her reaction to my situation would be....precisely why I didn't tell her about it, though I wanted us to work together with it. But---after losing her, the kids, the house, the car, the cat, the dog, and what modest savings there were----a guy learns the art of survival. It's either pick up and keep going, or dwindle and fade away into the bottom of a bottle. You'd be surprised at how little you really need to get along----it can be kind of a relief, financially, to simplify. Appreciate your thoughts as always, man. Lots of heartfelt comments to be found on this board. And, as for me, the sun is out again, even if it isn't totally perfect---she and I still get along great, and who knows what may happen in the future. The kids are nearly grown, affectionate and well-adjusted. (and P.S.--I got the cat back.) Ciao for now---
mojo

Postby nimby » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Let's just say that I too have one of those "old-fashioned" wives. But once we hashed things out, she is much more liberal that I ever could have hoped for. One thing I've often heard said about bi people is that they're greedy, or "they want their cake and to eat it too". Well, duhh!! Who doesn't want to eat their cake? The trick is to not be greedy. It is a balancing act, but it can work if everyone is willing.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Keeper » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:34 pm

25 yrs ago I was a Sr in highschool. looking forward to getting to college (and out of the house). ;-)
Keeper

Postby LtotheP » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:00 pm

Well Im only 22, so I wasnt even in the womb :(
LtotheP

Postby olywaguy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm

LtotheP wrote:Well Im only 22, so I wasnt even in the womb :(

You were just -3 years old that's all.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby crankycurmudgeon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:21 pm

March 1986 would have been the end of Winter Term of the second year of grad school . I think that was the term that I decided to break the sequence and finish the program on my schedule rather than the prescribed schedule.
Like a bad penny, some things just keep coming back.
crankycurmudgeon

Postby Tom-SA » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Wow, I had just graduated from high school and was headed to college. I hadn't even come out to myself at this point!

In one sense that seems like a LONG TIME ago, but in another, I can remember it like it was yesterday. Sigh. I'm getting old!! :D
Tom-SA
Site Admin

Postby crankycurmudgeon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Tom-SA wrote:Wow, I had just graduated from high school and was headed to college. I hadn't even come out to myself at this point!

In one sense that seems like a LONG TIME ago, but in another, I can remember it like it was yesterday. Sigh. I'm getting old!! :D

You are entering your prime. This is the time that all your previous decisions bear fruit.

I have a friend who decided that once she turned 80, well, that really was old. However she only uses 'old' as an excuse when it comes to things that she really doesn't wan to do (e.g. Weeding the garden -- too old; a trip to Costa Rica -- sign me up!).
Like a bad penny, some things just keep coming back.
crankycurmudgeon

Postby nimby » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:18 pm

I think "old" is just a state of mind now. I met this one gentleman at the gym a few months. He was in fantastic shape. Great golden skin, very decent psyique, and just a wonderful smile and amazing outlook on life. He was so proud to say that he was 80. I know guys half his age that will be ready for the "home" way before him.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:51 am

As an aside... 25 years ago today, the accident at Chernobyl happened.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Keeper » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:27 am

nimby wrote:I think "old" is just a state of mind now. I met this one gentleman at the gym a few months. He was in fantastic shape. Great golden skin, very decent psyique, and just a wonderful smile and amazing outlook on life. He was so proud to say that he was 80. I know guys half his age that will be ready for the "home" way before him.

A lot has to do with how you live your life. If you take care of yourself; don't abuse harmful things (excessive alcohol, partying) and are relatively stress free with your homelife then you tend to age better. I also have learned that caloric intake has a lot to do with age related damage.
Keeper

Postby nimby » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Agreed that stress has a lot to do with it. I think that the single life is a lot less stressful than the family life. Raising kids and supporting a partner is stressful. That's why I think gay guys look better in the end. :)
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Tristar » Thu May 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi guys,

I'm in my 40s and newly out (yeah I know it took me a long time) and this is my first post. I'm so glad I found this board!

In 1986 I was a sophomore in college and enjoying my education in the Theatre and Drama department and having crushes I didn't dare act on (or so I thought at the time). It was a completely unexpected direction for my education (I once thought law school was a destination) but I a lot of fun and I was learning so much about myself and others. Some of the best times I've had.

Ironically, I have had nothing to do with theatre since graduating (other than seeing a handful of productions). I develop software for a living and have enjoyed it as a career.
Tristar

Postby DeckApe » Fri May 06, 2011 10:59 am

Welcome aboard! :D We are happy to have you with us.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Return to Users Forum