Smoking....Cigarettes that is...

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Smoking....Cigarettes that is...

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Just wondering how many cigarette (or cigar or pipe) smokers there are on the boards...

Me; I must admit I'm amongst the unclean....Have tried to quit many times but just can't seem to kick a 30 year habit (aka: addiction). Most recent attempt was last week...made it 2 days and then fell off the wagon...I've tried cold turkey and "the patch" ~ both with negative results. I'm not one to join a "support group" - I've got to do it on my own ~ but obviously that isn't working. Nasty, disgusting, expensive, socially unacceptable, unhealthy habit, yet I continue. My only comfort is that it's less disgusting than chewing/spitting tobacco 8)
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Smoking....Cigarettes that is...

Postby nimby » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Dude, you just read my mind!!! I was just thinking of starting a stop smoking thread for those of us who want to stop. So if there are any ex-smokers on here, PLEASE!! share your secrets with us. I really want to quit. I started quite young and quit once for a year, but went back at it. HELP!!!!
Last edited by nimby on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Count me mongst the abject failures in this regard. I've tried every method knowed to man, cept being unconscious for a spell. Cold turkey, taperin' off, changin' brands, aversion therapy, patch, gum (regular and nicotine), acupuncture, hypnosis (several times), Chantix, Zoloft, naggin' friends, etc., and several of them stop smokin' 'puter thingys.

Funny thing is I gave up booze, sweets and junk food when diagnosed as a diabetic, no problem. Oh, one other peculiar thing - I usually get more flack from folks 'cause I smoke than because I'm gay or an atheist. Go figure. :?
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby matinee » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:43 am

I figure I will quit one day - when I am dead.
matinee

Postby Phoenix6570 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:38 pm

I use to smoke but I don't anymore. I'm not sure I'll be much of a help since I never considered myself a serious smoker. I use to only smoke when I drank but as the level of drinking increased cigarettes spilled over into my sober life. I smoked off and on for a while but I never felt addicted to them. Sometimes I had an urge but it never got to be a constant thing. I never went through a pack a day or anything like that.

I'll admit there were a few times when I tried to quit but fell back into it. I haven't smoked a cigarette since around December of last year and don't care to have one. When I finally stopped it was mainly because of the health issues. I was always in mental conflict about why I was smoking them while having it. I just couldn't see a reason to keep smoking so I stopped.

I'm not sure what advice I can give but I wish all of you who are trying to quit the best of luck. I've heard of electronic cigarettes which may be a help. They are cheaper than regular cigarettes and offer various levels of nicotine so it would help to ween off. Also they have non-nicotine packs too so you can still fulfill the motions of cigarettes.

http://nuvocig.com/?page_id=44http://nu ... page_id=44 This is one of the many electronic cigarettes out there so take a look if you're interested. I've heard its helped many people get in control of their habit.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:03 am

I'm fessing I smoke too, Athough I smoke American Spirit cigarrettes. There're supose to be more natural and no chemicals added. My thinking is mankind has smoked for centuries and it's the chemicals they add that make them harmful. I plan to stop one day but till then..............
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Postby jabpcola » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:38 pm

[size=150]I smoked 50 years, tried to quit many times, all without success. However, I quit, cold turkey, 3 years ago and haven't touched one since. My secret? Got pneumonia and spent 10 days in the hospital. Believe it or not, I didn't even want to smoke during that 10 days, and haven't wanted one since. :D

Now I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but my wife also smoked for 50 years. She got a prescription for Chantix, expensive, but figured if it would work it would be worth it. She quit for the first time since she was 11 years old. :D Before the Chantix, she was 2.5 packs a day. I was so proud of her! But, sadly it was a couple of years too late for her. She was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in December, 08. Docs gave her 1-3 months. She made it for 9 months before succumbing to the disease.

My advise, whatever it takes, hypnosis, Chantix, straight jacket, whatever, please for the love of life, quit while it can make a difference in your life!

Good luck![/size]
jabpcola

Postby nimby » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:20 pm

That's exactly why I want to quit. Thanks for the reminder, and so sorry for your loss. :(
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby mojo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:08 pm

You guys who are toughing it out and trying to quit are gonna slug me....I'm an occasional 'social smoker' and have never really had a strong urge to smoke regularly. A cold beer and a cigarette just go together for me at a bar. And if you never got together with another guy for leather and cigars...long,slow blowbacks and hot French kissing....RRRWOWRRR !(Check out "Hauling and Kissing" on youtube, and see if it doesn't rev your engine......) But seriously....you're right---when it becomes an addiction, it's time to take control.
mojo

Postby sean304 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:49 pm

I smoke as well. I used to smoke Marlboro Lights. My doctor told me that he wasn't going to ask me to quit (knowing it would be futile) but just asked me to switch to American Spirits, claiming they were better than the alternatives. Plus, research has shown that people who are able to switch from their brand of choice to a different cigarette were more likely to be able to quit for good someday. This probably isn't the case with me. I didn't like the American Spirits at first... but if at first you don't succeed.... Now they are my brand of choice. I also went to see a guy known as the Mad Russian in Boston. He supposedly was a quitting smoking guru with an amazing success rate. He was rubbish. He was just taking advantage of a group of people who wanted to quit but weren't invested enough to actually do some work on their own.
sean304

Postby sidaga » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:15 am

I am a ex smoker i quit smoking 1 year ago with the help of gum(general mint) and e cigarette. i think quitting is not that hard if you live with non smokers but if you are surrounded by smokers than you really need a inspiration. I quit smoking in a flash like a cold turkey without prior thinking about it, and making plans about it. If anyone wants to quit then make a 15 day deal with yourself. Anyone following please share your thoughts.
sidaga

Postby nimby » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Hey. I forgot about this thread!!

Count me amongst the ex-smokers now! I kicked the 30 year habit. Cold turkey. Firstly I started smoking ONLY out doors, then I switched from brand to brand. Founf a brand that I hated and stuck with them so I began to hate smoking. Once I removed all the enjoyment from the habit it was easy.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 pm

^^ Congrats Nimby! How long have you been on the wagon?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:14 pm

nimby wrote:Hey. I forgot about this thread!!

Count me amongst the ex-smokers now! I kicked the 30 year habit. Cold turkey. Firstly I started smoking ONLY out doors, then I switched from brand to brand. Founf a brand that I hated and stuck with them so I began to hate smoking. Once I removed all the enjoyment from the habit it was easy.

Thats awesome congrats to you and hope your success story can help others kick the habit.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby jabpcola » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Allow me to add one more reason to quit. As I said in my earlier post, I quit 3+ years ago after smoking 50 years. At my regular check-up a couple of months ago, my doctor scheduled me for an ultra-sound of my abdomen. Of course, I asked why. She said it was to check my aorta, the largest artery in the body. Apparently smokers and ex-smokers are notorious for developing aortic aneurysms. And when they reach 5cm they are likely to rupture, a condition which is normally fatal.

I went, had the ultrasound, and result was a 3.6cm aneurysm. So now I have a vascular surgeon who will monitor the aorta until it is time to put in a stint. My doctor likely saved my life.

If you smoke, or are an ex-smoker have your doctor schedule an ultra-sound of your abdomen, it could likely save your life.
jabpcola

Postby nimby » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Hey man, thanks for the tip.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm an odd one, all my family smoked, both parents, and brother and sister, never had a desire to ever. I tried it to see what it was all about and thought maybe it was a way to lose weight [I battle that, instead] and the taste was totally awful, I guess that explains the whole "everyone is into different things" because I tried that, cigars for fun and all I got was awful dry mouth and a taste that was very unpleasant.

Nimby congrats on quitting, it looks like it's quite hard from what i've seen of ppl I know trying to.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby nimby » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks man. I just had to be ready. Besides, having my Ma in the final stages of lung cancer is a great motivator. Every time I coughed I thought, "Oh oh, am I next?"
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Moxiecam » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:28 am

I quit after an 8 year habit last year, I should have known better as I didn't start until I was 21 and quit at 29. I averaged 10 a day... My advice, my first attempt I meticulously planned out the day, strategy etc. a week later I relapsed!

6 months later I was literally standing at a train station in mar 2011 and thought "I want to try again " threw the pack out and after 5 days of withdrawal cravings went away and I quit cold turkey.. I have never been a regular smoker since,

I did have one relapse just after new years in jan 2012, I had a night on the booze got drunk and decided botting a smoke off a mate was an excellent idea, I want to reiterate I only had one cigarette that night and woke up the next day hungover and my chest felt like absolute crap.

It's now 6 months since the one night relapse and I can honestly say I will never touch another cigarette again. Interestingly enough I never had cravings after the relapse ... I strongly believe it was my body saying "no more I've had enough" since I e quit I keep noticing how few people in australia are now smoking,
Moxiecam

Postby nimby » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:05 pm

Well it's comming up on 9 months since I quit, and I almost fell off the wagon a couple weeks back. One time I had such a strong craving, maybe because I friend of mine was smoking, but I took a couple of drags off a FAKE cigarette I have, and nearly coughed up a lung. Off a fake cigarette!!! Man did I feel stupid. :lol:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby jabpcola » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:02 pm

You go Nimby! Good on you! Any time I am around a smoker, I have to ask myself why on earth did I ever start? It has been 4 1/2 years for me, and I still have had not 1 desire to light up again. I have a full carton (4 years old) sitting in my desk I guess rotting LOL!

But again, my heartiest congratulations to anyone who quits. Hopefully one day we will live in a smoke-free society! :mrgreen:
jabpcola

Postby nimby » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks!! I know it may sound silly but just ask a smoker, it really is a huge accomplishment quitting smoking. Good on you too Jabpcola and all other ex-smokers.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Gaydudelaf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:02 am

I quit when we lived in Minnesota. Dustin wouldn't let me smoke in the house and it was -20 outside. One day I stopped at a store in the sky way because I realized I was out of smokes, then it dawned on me that I hadn't smoked in 3 weeks so I just quit. It was weird because I tried several times before.
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Postby Moxiecam » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:19 am

I also found that when I was a smoker I loved the taste and smell... But about 6 months after I quit I started noticing how horrible smokers smell and hate the odor in the air as well, weird how that happens....
Moxiecam

Postby Gaydudelaf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Moxiecam wrote:I also found that when I was a smoker I loved the taste and smell... But about 6 months after I quit I started noticing how horrible smokers smell and hate the odor in the air as well, weird how that happens....

It kind of grosses me out now too unless I am really sh*t faced.
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Next

Return to Users Forum