Dustin Council (1984-2010)

Here's the place for the latest updates on what's going on with the site, and your place to leave your comments and thoughts about what we're doing.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, batty, Tom-SA

Dustin Council (1984-2010)

Postby stevestr » Thu May 06, 2010 2:48 am

Not sure how many of you are over on Facebook or have seen Chip's feed, but apparently his husband Dustin killed himself today.

He mentions it indirectly on his Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/chipcouncil.

You may want to send him your condolences. Always sad when someone passes, but especially when they do it themselves. :(
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Re: Dustin Council (1984-2010)

Postby Schlodesss » Thu May 06, 2010 4:16 am

WHAT????

WOW. :cry:
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Earl Butz » Thu May 06, 2010 6:06 am

Geez. That is a rough age. Was for me anyway. And as I sit here on a freezing cold snowy night in May, that is the cherry on top of a miserable day. :cry:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby foxeyes2 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:38 am

OMG that is so sad. I don't know what to say. Poor Dustin and poor Chip.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Thu May 06, 2010 10:39 am

I honestly dont know what to say.
Just the other day I was telling my bf about how I missed Chip and Dustin and mentioned to Jo-Jo about planning to go to Ft Lauderdale.
:cry:
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby Rico » Thu May 06, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm sorry for Chip and for Dustin and for just about everybody else. Oh, how I wish I hadn't logged on at this moment to read this. I feel sick.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Thu May 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Whoa!! That's horrible. I hope Chip is doing all right. Big hugs to you, Chip.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby drtom » Thu May 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Oh My God!

This is absolutely horrific news. I really don’t know what to say.

My heart goes out to Chip and Dustin.
drtom

Postby nimby » Thu May 06, 2010 8:22 pm

I am just speechless and just sick. Chip, I am so sorry!!!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Fri May 07, 2010 1:45 am

Can't really convey the right words in times like these.

Been thinking about you all day Chip..
solat

Postby doctor dan » Fri May 07, 2010 9:25 am

Me too. I thought about it all day and woke up several times in the night. Words cannot soothe or console Chip, but I hope he knows how many of us have him in our hearts.
doctor dan

Postby drtom » Fri May 07, 2010 11:34 pm

I find what has happened so disturbing - can't get it out of my mind. I've looked online to find any other info and come upon this tribute which I think is very nice. I have no idea who the blogger is.

http://www.beaupedia.org/2010/05/07/dustin-take-your-bow/

Dustin Take Your Bow

Dustin Council
November 20, 1984 - May 4, 2010

We’re gonna miss your song and dance
The way you made us laugh
And we’re so glad we had the pleasure for a while
But on the other side you’ll find a better audience
Just be yourself and you can’t help but make the angels smile
Baby all the world’s a stage
Playwright pens your final page
And then he brings your curtain down
So blow us your kisses and drench our eyes
We’ll rise to our feet to wave goodbye for now
So baby take a bow
The world is lovelier because you had your moment here
And we could see a friend of heaven in your face
And in your song we heard the longing for a distant shore
Now your time has come to go
And so be on your way
Baby all the world’s a stage
Playwright pens your final page
And then he brings your curtain down
So blow us your kisses and drench our eyes
We’ll rise to our feet to wave goodbye for now
So baby take a bow
Your show is over now
It’s time to lay your burdens down
So baby take your bow

Baby Take Your Bow ~ Chris Rice
drtom

Postby DeckApe » Fri May 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Even though I have never met either of them, my heart goes out to Chip and Dustin. So sad... :(
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby michaelk69 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:49 am

hey guys - have been away for awhile - but just came back and found this news. I am speechless over here, too, and so so sad for Chip - don't really know what to say, except that we are all thinking of you. What an awful shock. I am so so sorry.
michaelk69

Postby MattMurdock » Sun May 09, 2010 5:29 am

Just managed to talk with Chip yesterday...
Words are not enough! I just feel so sorry. Been trying to type here for 30 minutes and just keep on typing and deleting!
Chip, just give it time...i dont know what else u say, u know it!
MattMurdock

Postby Beaupedia » Sun May 09, 2010 6:55 am

drtom wrote:I find what has happened so disturbing - can't get it out of my mind. I've looked online to find any other info and come upon this tribute which I think is very nice. I have no idea who the blogger is.

http://www.beaupedia.org/2010/05/07/dustin-take-your-bow/

Dustin Take Your Bow

Dustin Council
November 20, 1984 - May 4, 2010

drtom, I am that blogger. I found this site by seeing incoming clicks from this blog and searched for Dustin's name. I have been friends with Dustin for many years, and was Dustin's best friend. We met back in 2002 and I've loved him so very much for the past 8 years. I'm struggling, and have been in touch with Chip. I don't have anything to add here, as seen in my blog post, I haven't been able to come up with my own words yet. Just lots and lots of crying. I swore I wouldn't let this happen.

Anyway, I just registered because I wanted to post a thank you all for the very kind words. Any little bit helps through all of this. You guys seem like you have a great community here, thanks again.
Beaupedia

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:23 am

I'm in complete shock.... My heart goes out to you Chip. I pray you get the strength you need to make it through this difficult time.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sun May 09, 2010 3:11 pm

This is terrible. We met several times in the past, and I thought he was a really nice guy. I could tell he was depressed (I'm not one to talk as I've suffered from depression my whole life, albeit mine was more "explosive" and his seemed more subdued). But I always thought that his being with Chip (You're in my thoughts and prayers buddy! Let me know if you want to talk or if there's anything I can do to help), who is one of the nicest, most approchable guys (he's somebody you could talk to about anything, few people are like that) I've ever met, would no doubt have saved Dustin from his inner turmoil. Sometimes it just doesn't happen, no matter what. As many of you know, I have made 2 unsuccessful attempts myself, the first in '95 when I was 20, the second in March of '03 when I was 28. Both times I tried to poison myself, but panicked because I didn't know for sure if it would be agonizing (the first attempt would have as I took over 1,000 aspirin so I would have bled to death) and made myself throw up in time. So to an extent I guess I can understand just how terrible suicidal people feel.

I know it's probably too early to ask this, but does anyone know why he did it? From my experience, there's a trigger involved which pushes an already depressed person over the edge. Also, how is Chip coping? I know he will get through this, but right now I can imagine he's quite down. Being widowed at a young age has got to be awful (regardless of whether or not where you live recognizes it, they were married, and I know here in MA he would be legally widowed, at least on a state level).

So sorry to hear about this. I don't know what else to say.
J

Postby nimby » Sun May 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Beaupedia wrote:
drtom, I am that blogger. I found this site by seeing incoming clicks from this blog and searched for Dustin's name. I have been friends with Dustin for many years, and was Dustin's best friend. We met back in 2002 and I've loved him so very much for the past 8 years. I'm struggling, and have been in touch with Chip. I don't have anything to add here, as seen in my blog post, I haven't been able to come up with my own words yet. Just lots and lots of crying. I swore I wouldn't let this happen.

Anyway, I just registered because I wanted to post a thank you all for the very kind words. Any little bit helps through all of this. You guys seem like you have a great community here, thanks again.

Guy, my heart goes out to you too. It sound like you had a very special friendship there, and I'm so sorry for you too. Please take care, and thank you for posting such a wonderful tribute. I believe that Dustin has been called home for some much needed rest. He will be back, in one form or another, to carry on in his journey. Peace to Dustin Council.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Beaupedia » Sun May 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Chip has posted the following and I wanted to pass it along. Thank you all for the continued support and kind words. It's one day at a time.

Dustin Council Memorial Update

I just wanted to give everyone an update on whats happening. Dustin made if very clear that he did NOT want a funeral. Instead I am going to plan a crawfish boil/picnic in Lafayette, LA near his family. The goal will be to laugh and celebrate his life not cry (althought I might disappoint). I am going to need some help planning this as my mind is still pretty traumatized. This is what I need!

1. A date (one when Grandma Merlyn and Grandpa Tim, and his Brother Kale can be in town.
2. A place to have a gathering like a park or something near Lafayette, LA
3. Everyone to pitch in with covered dishes and food
4. Inexpensive accomodations for those coming from out of town
5. I need to find a charity that is working to help people with BiPolar Disorder where people can send donations in his name if they wish.
Beaupedia

Postby nimby » Sun May 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Beaupedia wrote:Chip has posted the following and I wanted to pass it along. Thank you all for the continued support and kind words. It's one day at a time.

5. I need to find a charity that is working to help people with BiPolar Disorder where people can send donations in his name if they wish.

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageSer ... ecialfunds

Here ya go.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Beaupedia » Sun May 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Nimby, thanks so much. I will pass it along.
Beaupedia

Postby Gaydudelaf » Mon May 10, 2010 1:07 am

Guys thanks so much for the kind words. As you can imagine, I am feeling anguish unlike any I have ever felt in my life. Beau has been crying with me as I try to survive these long nights in an empty bed. Whenever I close my eyes I have flashbacks to hugging him thinking he was asleep and realizing he was lifeless. Ithink of the hour I spent on the ground in handcuffs and the eternity I waited alone in the interrogation room until they realized it was self inflicted. I feel the guilt of leaving him alone that night and anger toward his mother for neglecting him, our neighbor for stealing his meds, the doctor for not trying, the fucker who stole his cherished kilt and hat a few weekes earlier. I hope that he will not die in vain and that he can be used as an example of how we fail our mentally Ill.

Ok sorry for venting but sa.com has always been there for me and I miss all of you and appreciate your friendships.
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Postby Earl Butz » Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 am

I'm so sorry, Chip. I suffer from depression myself. I didn't even know I had an illness back in 1994 when I tried to do myself in. All I knew was I couldn't take the pain anymore. Mental illness gets very little respect because there are no physical symptoms. But it is debilitating. A brain chemistry disorder....nothing more, nothing less.

You're in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Mon May 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Life is never going to be the same so just take it one day at a time for now and try to keep busy.

A year from now it may start to be more "normal", whatever that is. From my experiences you may find that you stop listening to music you once listened to and that can be strange, too. I think it took about 10 years for me to transition to my new life.

Best of luck with everything... and remember to keep busy. Keeps the mind occupied. There may be a few strange dreams from time to time. Regards, Butch.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Next

Return to SA News