Service above personal life

Our military forum goes way beyond how hot military guys are, and explores in-depth those masculine men of the armed services.

Moderators: selective_soldier, charmcitywop, devilnuts

Service above personal life

Postby Sweeet » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:36 pm

I recently read Joseph Rocha article, “I Didn't Tell. It Didn't Matter.”, in Washington Post . In the article he says,“ I chose to put service above my personal life.” I realized that's what I did. I put service so far above that I didn't have a personal life. Towards the end of my enlistment, I met someone who made me see what I was missing. When I got out, I was so ready, I didn't know where or how to start. It was like arriving late to a party. Too much lost. If I knew then what I know now, I'd know it's not worth it.

How many of you think or thought service about personal life was worth it.
Different men often see the same subjects in different lights; and, therefore, I hope that it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen, if, entertaining as I do, speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve.-PH
Sweeet

Re: Service above personal life

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:29 am

Ja. That's called the work/life balance paradigm.

I was 26 when I realized my life was seriously out of whack. It was all work, no fun. You have to balance out your time. Half work, half time for yourself. Don't put all your eggs in the work basket.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Re: Service above personal life

Postby nimby » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:48 am

I was the product of people who put everything else before personal life, thus I was pretty much a self raised kid. And I learned early on that that is not healthy so I did the reverse. Married young, had kids young, and devoted most of my time and energy to my family. Did my career suffer? Probably, but I don't care. Really in the end it's just a job and I won't even be a memory to my employers. Hopefully my family will remember me long after I'm gone.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Military Men