Taking a Big Step

Was it tough or was it easy, or are you still locked in? Tell the world anonymously about your gayness should you choose.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface, foxeyes2, olywaguy

Taking a Big Step

Postby olywaguy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 pm

On Friday, I took a big step since coming out to myself. I let seven other people know that I am gay.

The college I work at has an annual event known as Day of Absence/Day of Presence. The idea is based on a play where it shows how life would be like without people of color.

Well, on Day of Absence, all people of color from college go off-campus to a community center where events are created to talk about issues of interest to people of color, etc. This year, there were two breakout workshops. One on youth and adult power and the other for GLBTQ people only. I didn't know it was for only GLBTQ only but nonetheless I stayed. There were seven other people there (5 students and a staff person, and the facilitator).

We talked about issues relevant to GLBTQ people, defined several -isms, played YES/MAYBE/NO (where the facilitator makes a statement and you are to stand under one of the signs (YES/MAYBE/NO) and talk about that. Felt like a very group therapy kind of thing to do. The facilitator gave us all some play-doh to play with as we might be nervous talking about certain things and it kept our hands busy.

Interesting hour and a half for me I am sure. But for me, it was the first time I let others know about my orientation. Lately, it has been on mind because online dating is for the birds and maybe letting others know might help me out a bit. At least have someone live locally to talk about it would help. Like I said, a big step for me.

I still can't believe it has been 7.5 years since I came out to myself already. How time flies. The Butch Board has helped me a great deal in that process, so for that, I am grateful.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby furface » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Good on ya, son! You'll find i easier not to have to constantly edit your conversations as ya speak.

Oh, one other thing - now ya don't have to go out of town to hit a gay bar. :wink: :D
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Screamer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Hopefully it's a positive step forward. I've never heard of a Day of Absence or Presence. What is youth and adult power?
"I'm in the mood for love, simply because you're near me"
Screamer

Postby olywaguy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:57 pm

Actually I meant youth empowerment....I didn't attend that workshop since it was concurrent with the other.

We also saw the movie Mississippi Masala with Denzel Washington. We split up into small groups to discuss the movie.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby michaelk69 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:22 am

Congrats Carlos . . . even after 7.5 years, stuff like that can still be scary. Well done, and just keep on revealing what you want to whom you want, when you want, at your own pace . . . it is different for everyone. But congrats on this very big step!
michaelk69

Postby DeckApe » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:06 am

Carlos--you have to go at your own speed. Conratulations. :D
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Sportsguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 pm

Congratulations Carlos!! :D
Sportsguy

Postby solat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:38 am

Good on you Carlos!

*Big Hug*
solat

Re: Taking a Big Step

Postby nimby » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:30 pm

I kinda took a big step today. Today in a lunchroom full of tech savvy macho dudes, I defended a gay male figure skater because I think one of my class mates is gay and scared stiff with these guys. One guy said that Canada doesn't need an Olympic Gold medal in figure skating from a fag. I saw how uncomfortable the suspected gay guy looked so I pipped up, "Hey, I'll gladly take any gold medal, figure skating or not, gay or straight." I got a few grunts of approval from the guys, but a shy smile from the suspected gay guy. I gave one back too.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:18 am

Recently, at work, I have been appointed to the web team committee for the library. As a result, I need to go talk to the chair of the committee. Asked her when the next committee meeting was and it so happened to be the following day. Made not of when the meeting was.

Well, I got held up by doing other things and ended up arriving at 1:45 pm instead of 1 pm but when I got to the site of the meeting no one was there. There was some confusion about whether it would be at 1pm or 2 pm and it turned out there was no meeting.

So, I managed to find her office and we got to talking about the committee, who was in it, etc. which got to the point about talking about ourselves. She made a comment stating that she was gay (I suspected as much) and my response to that was "me too." Told her the difficulty I have been having meeting someone...she knows everybody. She emailed me her phone number so we can hang out sometime. I, in turn, sent her mine.

This is a big deal for me because I have never come out to a co-worker. Little steps, right?
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby DeckApe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Little steps are still steps, Carlos. Good for you. :)
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Return to Coming Out