Possible Restoration of Forums (Read message before choosing

Here's the place for the latest updates on what's going on with the site, and your place to leave your comments and thoughts about what we're doing.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, batty, Tom-SA

Should we attempt to restore, even if it means losing the recent posts?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 2

Possible Restoration of Forums (Read message before choosing

Postby furface » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Need you opinion.

Doreo, the hosting company, has an archived backup of the site dated 12/09/08 at 1800 that could be used to restore the site.

However; doing that would wipe out all posts and registrations made to the board since that backup. We'd lose all the recent posts, but the old posts would be restored. And, of course, this assumes I've gotten the time frame and date correct.

Please think about it and make your selection.
Last edited by furface on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby DeckApe » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:02 pm

I see one vote, and I'm not being allowed to vote on the topic.

Personally, I can't point and say, 'that's missing,' so I think we might as well press on.

Kind of like the spring clean-out of the attic and basement. You have a momentary pang about the stuff you're getting rid of; three weeks later you don't remember what you threw out. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:09 pm

my vote is being suppressed.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby jkav » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:22 pm

I have no opinion. Either option is acceptable to me. Whatever material ends up being lost won't really stay gone. We'll have replacement things to discuss soon enough.
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:23 am

In the spirit of the season,

"Out with the old, and in with the New ! "
(There was too much Ancient History taking up too much space anyway)
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:28 am

We need to get more posting going on with the board.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby batty » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:49 am

For some reason, I can't vote. So let this post be my vote in support of Restoring the old posts.

I vote to resurrect the old board. Many of the threads on there were a wealth of information, accumulated over years, back when the board was much more active, for all the anonymous lurkers and future posters out there. It would be very useful if that information could be recovered. They can also serve as a standard as to the level of discussion and language that should be expected in posts (dare I say, it has been on the decline lately).

There were a lot of invaluable discussions in there, and maybe it's just me but it seems that conversations nowadays never reach the heart of the matter, but only brush off the first layer of a specific issue.

If we are to encourage people to join and we must choose between the old and the new, I think we're better off showing the old posts as opposed to the previous ones, which are much more varied in terms of breadth and depth.

Alright I'm off the soapbox now.
batty

Postby matinee » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:30 am

How about getting the backup database and importing stuff. I know it is more work but not exactly rocket science. All that is needed is to mount the old database as a new data source and synchronize the databases. Can be done in an hour or two. I can volunteer the software and time.
matinee

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:47 am

Yeah I can't vote either....waddup with that? :P

I think the board speeds up when you purge it every once in a while. So I guess I vote no. But if you could restore everything and keep things at high speed that would be the best of both worlds.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby foxeyes2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:53 am

I think it would be a good idea to restore because as Batty says there are some important threads that we would lose. Could we not then purge some of the old threads that are no longer relevant thus freeing up space?
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby Cajun » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:57 am

Another "suppressed" vote to restore here - the polling must be run by Katherine Harris :P
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby JakeMIke » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:06 am

I can't seem to vote either, but I say do whatever is easier and won't affect the current postings. If it's a real chore to restore (hey I'm a poet!) don't bother.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:47 am

I can't vote, either. I vote to restore. I agree with batty's comments.
edu999

Postby Lesley R. Charles » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:29 pm

I too, agree with Seb.
Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/lesleycharles
Lesley R. Charles

Postby UnRepublicanstraightactor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:11 pm

Hey. Probably too late to make any sort of difference, but I vote to restore[/i]! I was just trying to find an old post to get some critical information from it and now I figure out why it's gone. If anything can be done to bring it back, I vote we do just that. I doubt that the debate is still open for new opinions at this point, but better late than never, I guess it was worth it for me to at least have a say. Oh, well.
GOProud's board president Christopher Barron answers the question why he's a gay Republican: "I prefer my government smaller -- say the size it would have to be to fit comfortably in Terri Schiavo's hospital room."
UnRepublicanstraightactor

Location: "The laughing stock of the nation", according to those that strangely choose to live here.

Return to SA News