Having trouble meeting other guys into cars

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Having trouble meeting other guys into cars

Postby freshsteeds » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:34 pm

I'm a motorhead and have two cars I like to keep up and turn wrenches on and it's hard to meet other gay guys into cars and trucks. There's the classic chassis club in Austin but most of them are not my type if you know what I mean. Why is that? If there's anyone in the Austin TX area reading this then definitely drop me a line and let's talk about our cars, esp. if you're into air suckers like Beetles and Porsches though I dig cars, trucks, motorcycles of any type plus aircraft and locomotives and love to go to air shows and ride on steam trains, etc. MOst gays guys think I'm 'trying to be butch' by being into cars but I really do dig anything with gears or horsepower. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Later,

Mike
It's the broncs and the blood,
It's the steers and the mud,
And they call the thing r-o-d-e-o...
--Garth Brookes
freshsteeds

Postby Donovan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:38 pm

There was actually an interesting article in the Automobile Magazine which said that there are plenty of gay men who are into cars, but most gay men place more emphasis on the exterior design/interior amenities than on the engine/horse power, gears, sockets, etc.

It may be difficult for you to find guys who are into the same type of things (gears, motors,) because most gay men place huge emphasis on the exterior look of their boyfriend, themselves, the cars, their clothes, blah blah blah.

My question is, would you date a guy who is also into cars, who can tell you a million things about car exterior designs/interior amenities, the good and the bad, but has no apparent interest in motors, gears, etc??

Because you will have more success finding a gay guy in this category.
The essence is not in the details, but in one's intentions. I may be a bit rough around the edges, but I have good intentions.
Donovan

Postby Schlodesss » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:43 pm

I like cars, here's one of mine.

--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Texas_Thang » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:55 pm

Thankfully Schlo already replied...cuz I was gonna say... ;)
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby texcen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 am

I sure agree with you on the Classy Chassy group. Sure Austin is just
like Houston and San Antonio
50, 5.9, 190, white, prefer boots and jeans if got to dress up
texcen

Postby cumminsturbo88 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:16 pm

Oh yeah I totally understand about the no gay guys into cars thing. I LOVE anything mechanical. A lot of people think I'm nuts because I love that german mechanical sound that a porsche makes or the buzzing and whistling that a old aircooled VW makes. I've owned a 68 Karmann Ghia and a 70 regular bug by the way. I am now training to be a diesel mechanic. I'm 19 and it seems to be a trend in my area for the gay folk to act stereotypical and very feminine. I love cars before I found out I was gay lol. :D
Saying all gays have AIDS is like saying all Christians are Fred Phelps.
cumminsturbo88

Postby dracuscalico » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:15 pm

What about trying to create a network of gay motorheads or starting a website? There are probably more than you think and are as closeted as one would be in any other major sport. If you create an anonymous way for guys to find out that they are not alone, you could put together a large network that helps everyone out carwise and socially.

It would seem that if a motor head met a guy who was into interior/exterior stuff that it would be a perfect compliment if you want cars with WOW factor in appearance AND performance.

As far as the gay community calling someone BUTCH for doing masculine things, it's a misery loves company mentality over the fact that they have fallen short of society's "Male Standard", and they want to deny anyone else gay, the right to their masculinity as well, by claiming you're just trying to be something you're not. It's just sour grapes on their part, so it's nothing to worry about, except their "accidentally" outing(claiming) you in front of straight people.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby cumminsturbo88 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:27 pm

that would be pretty awesome. I wish there were more guys like us in my area.
Saying all gays have AIDS is like saying all Christians are Fred Phelps.
cumminsturbo88

Postby dudekc » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:01 am

i tend to agree i find guys into cars but its all about the show and keeping appearences

Myself i am into the mechanics complete restores retrofits and the satisfaction that i dont have something mass produced or common and if i cant work on it myself i dont want it been a mechanic sincie before i could drive and have several grage guys who i work with to problem solve even thoug i dont work on them professionaly anymore but the basics still apply but finding gay guys into this is like a tabu grease oil is so beneath them
dudekc

Postby Schlodesss » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:33 pm

I once approached the president of Lambda car club in a detailed email, with an idea of planning a event about a year in advance that would take place at a centrally located Motorsports Park somewhere in the US, and it would include camping there if one so desired, and I suggested we [I was a lambda member for a year then dumped it] team up with every other Gay car club and Gay bike club, etc, etc, and have an event that would include car shows, bike shows, drag racing [just test and tune fun runs all weekend], auto-X racing, etc...

Just a GIANT car bike weekend for same sex men/women.

I sent this dude a long detailed drawn out email... I got back about two lines.. he said

"Hello Steve, Hmm, I can't honestly say I even know of one other Gay guy that is actually into drag racing...". Maybe try starting a Gay car club that is drag race oriented and see if you get any action. At this time, we do not think there would be any, let alone not enough, interest in something like this." "Thanks."

It confirmed to me that the stereo types out there in the world about us are true indeed, and I canceled my membership to Lambda.

SOOOOO..... when I wanna do car stuff I get with my straight buds [like I do for everything else] as Gay guys and I just don't seem to mix well. I wish I were a straight man or born a straight woman... if I have to feel the feelings I have inside about men.
--------------
Schlodesss

Another GGH (gay gearhead) here...

Postby sammyboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Although I've pretty much known I was "different" since I discovered I had a sexuality at around 12, I've always loved cars and trains and planes and ships and all kinds of mechanical things and structures- dams, skyscrapers, etc. and how they're built.

Except for the fact that watching sports on TV is pretty boring to me and, oh yeah, I'd rather check out a hot GUY than some good-lookin' chick, I guess I'm more like an average straight guy. Even some of the straight guys I know are more fashion-conscious than I am. I consider my interior-decorating skills to be above-average, but unfortunately I also know plenty of straight guys who are better housekeepers than I am. If I don't push myself, I can easily be a bit of a slob.

When the straight guys at work - and not a few of the women - talk sports from the night before, I just keep quiet because I was most likely watching Modern Marvels or Extreme Engineering while they were taking in the big game or games.

As a young kid, I guess I appreciated the exterior appearance of cars more because they changed pretty dramatically every year. Now, though, when I find a new model intro article in Car and Driver I'm more interested in the new engine, suspension or other engineering features than its styling cues.
sammyboy

It's encouraging to know about other gay gearheads, but....

Postby sammyboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Do you have to be so damn young!!??

Maybe I'm stuck in a stereotypical mindset, but it seems like most of the gay guys that are my age - 54 yo in May 2009 - who I've met seem to be more the obviously "light-in-the-loafers" variety who'd rather "go antiquing" for interior furnishings than hit a (antique / classic or new) car show.

Then again, maybe it's cuz I tried to live the closeted family man life too long and just haven't met enough guys since I came out.....
sammyboy

Postby Schlodesss » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Me? I'm 33, it's not that young.. :wink:
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby cloudy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:55 pm

If you live in a larger city, sign up for some adult education class in auto.
You might learn something and meet similar minded types.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I haven't actually done that... but it's a thought. I have no idea how to meet anyone I'd like to spend time with, but a lot has to do with likes and my age. Also, most people just don't have enough life experience or knowledge to keep me amused for more than five minutes. I've learned to enjoy my own company.

butch
http://butchboard.com
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T.S. Eliot
cloudy

Re: Having trouble meeting other guys into cars

Postby carguy60 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:14 pm

I agree it's tough finding other car guys, but it can be done. I'm a Lamda member and I have met a few guys through that club, but my local chapter isn't very active and is mostly older couples. I know of other chapters that are mostly younger, single guys, and they tend to be pretty active. I think it all depends on where you live.

I have also found that gays seemed to be attracted to certain makes of cars. Over the years of owning my Edsel, I've discovered that a large percent of the owners are gay. Edsel conventions sometimes seem like a gay pride event! I've somtimes found that if you go to a local car show, you can meet gays there, too. Just look for the guy (or guys) with a Cadillac, Lincoln, Imperial, Edsel, Buick, or DeSoto. Start a conversation about their car and you'll soon be able to tell their orientation.
carguy60

Re: Having trouble meeting other guys into cars

Postby unknownissue » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:53 pm

hey , i made a page on facebook called " Gay Men Into Cars " so we have a better way for our community to connect hope to see you there.
unknownissue

Return to Guy Stuff