Time For Change??

Here's the place for the latest updates on what's going on with the site, and your place to leave your comments and thoughts about what we're doing.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, batty, Tom-SA

Time For Change??

Postby Tom-SA » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:03 am

Hey guys,

I've spent a decent amount of time over the last several months trying to come up with an action plan for this site. A way to get us back to where we were a few years ago--and beyond. In the past, time and money has kept me from doing this when the server crashed a few years ago and we lost almost all our data and programming.

But I've recently run across something that might make this task a lot easier--and cheaper.

There's a new program out there that is open source (aka FREE) and would give us social networking site type features. Now, I know a lot of you guys are here just for the board, but we could have many other things for people to do like profile pages, matchmaking, personal ads, chat, IM, etc.

The software I am looking at is called Dolphin:

http://www.boonex.com/products/dolphin/features/

One of my second concerns has constantly been the moderation of this board. Moderators come and go, and can't always provide the support the boards need at times. And I certainly haven't been available enough to even help in this area. Well, along comes this other product from this same company called Orca:

http://www.boonex.com/products/orca/features/

What I really like about it is that it's pretty much said to be Self Moderated. Think "Report this Post" on craigslist type of a deal.

They say:

Self-moderated

* Kick-ass live voting (think Digg)
* One-click post report
* No need for admin or mods

It is my understanding that people could report offensive posts and they could either be automatically deleted after enough complaints or they could be sent to a mod/or admin to review. This would take a lot of pressure off the mods.

It would certainly change the "look" or our board and community, but we could all get used to a face lift. There would be loads of new features and I would integrate all of the active users into the system.

Sure, all of the programs are FREE, but I'm thinking my integration/design costs will be no more than $700-$1000 and I've still got some money saved up from the last set of donations to help.

Would love to hear your opinions on this. After we brought the new site up with all of the new features I'd make it a priority to bring back the quizzes--the staple of the site since it went online in I think it was 2000?!

Thanks!
Tom-SA
Site Admin

Postby Rune » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:51 am

This sounds like a great idea. But this time I suggest daily backups in case the server craps out again :)

Btw, one of the quizzes is still up, it just doesn't seem to be linked to the main page for some reason.

http://www.straightacting.com/quizzes/guy/index.php
Rune

Postby DeckApe » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:59 am

I wondered where that had gone! I like to run a periodic check to make sure I'm not losing touch--in either direction. (I usually score a 2 or 3. Damn candles!)

Oh, sorry. Wandered off topic in the second post. :oops:

All sounds interesting, Tom! :)
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby JakeMIke » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:32 am

Tom, sounds like a great idea. Looks like SA is moving into the twenty-first century.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:26 pm

Tom, even this ole dawg could learn to use them proggies.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Re: Time For Change??

Postby Gaydudelaf » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:25 pm

That sounds pretty exciting. Are you thinking about bringing the whole concept back?
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Postby chidiver » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:44 pm

It all sounds great! I'd really like to see things rockin here again. You are going to be providing your time and efforts to make this happen. May I suggest a fund drive to at least help you to cover hosting, other costs and hopefully something for your time?
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 pm

Yes, sounds very exciting. Would be great to see the website fully functioning as before.

I certainly miss the monthly cover model contests we had on the site.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby devilnuts » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:21 pm

Sounds good to me ;)
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby Texas_Thang » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:20 pm

They both look interesting to me... I'd say go for it.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby chrismanos » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:56 am

Tom, if it makes your life easier...do it.
"It's all very well in practice, but in theory it won't work."
chrismanos

Postby ulfurinn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:01 am

Let 'em web-two-zeroes in ;)
We are that which didn't kill us.
ulfurinn

Postby foxeyes2 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:15 am

Sounds like a good plan.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby Dago » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:30 pm

Yes, it is time for something new. And kudos to you, Tom, for keeping the board up all this time. I know you know how we feel about this board, especially those of us whom have been around a while. I for one, really appreciate it.

Do the new stuff and bring some fresh meat onto the entire website. You never know until you try.

Vince
Dago

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:56 am

Sounds like a plan. I don't really care about software issues here, but if it attracts "fresh meat" that would be a good thing. Things are a bit dead here lately.

People are the key to any chatboard. A good nucleus of regulars. Things were going great a couple years ago, but then a few of my favorites left. And nobody replaced them. :(
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby JakeMIke » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:32 am

So Earl, are you saying the majority of us on the board aren't "fresh meat" anymore? We old bulls can still be pretty rough when we want to!

:lol:
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:50 pm

I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to computer stuff - but you've got my vote - go ahead, give it a try.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Texas_Thang » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:38 am

Earl Butz wrote:Sounds like a plan. I don't really care about software issues here, but if it attracts "fresh meat" that would be a good thing. Things are a bit dead here lately.

People are the key to any chatboard. A good nucleus of regulars. Things were going great a couple years ago, but then a few of my favorites left. And nobody replaced them. :(

And to think, Earl...I thought I was one of your favorites. :P

Oh wait.... I have the gnarly teeth, per some members... so I can't be cool.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby Tom-SA » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:44 am

Thanks for the positive feedback guys,

I'll get busy!!
Tom-SA
Site Admin

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:13 am

Aw. You are one of my favorites, Paul. :P

I have a separation anxiety problem perhaps. Hate to see people leave and never come back.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby stevestr » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:56 pm

Texas_Thang wrote:
Earl Butz wrote:Sounds like a plan. I don't really care about software issues here, but if it attracts "fresh meat" that would be a good thing. Things are a bit dead here lately.

And to think, Earl...I thought I was one of your favorites. :P

Oh wait.... I have the gnarly teeth, per some members... so I can't be cool.

LOL. Well that's all they have to do for a past time in LA is critique teeth. Now you understand why I moved further south. It was the teeth police. They ran me out of town. :?
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Postby DerWanderer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:15 pm

I'm always game for something new...But if I break the Interweb, it's all YOUR fault. :P
DerWanderer

Return to SA News