IF the straight-fairy showed up....

Discussion on what it means to be straight acting, whether it's good, bad or indifferent.

Moderators: selective_soldier, furface

If the straight fairy offered to turn you straight, would u accept?

Yes
28%
No, but if it came when i was 18 yes.
18%
No
54%

Total votes : 111

Postby michaelk69 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:45 am

Beamer wrote:Voted yes - If given the chance, I would immediately accept that offer.

That makes me so sad to read, because it makes me think you must be really unhappy, which is such a shame, since you are such a nice, funny, smart and sexy guy (as far as I can tell from a tiny photo of your various body parts, lol)

"Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all" . .. no, really! Would Whitney lie? lol . .

You hang in there bud!
michaelk69

Postby devilnuts » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:35 pm

michaelk69 wrote:
Beamer wrote:Voted yes - If given the chance, I would immediately accept that offer.

That makes me so sad to read, because it makes me think you must be really unhappy, which is such a shame, since you are such a nice, funny, smart and sexy guy (as far as I can tell from a tiny photo of your various body parts, lol)

"Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all" . .. no, really! Would Whitney lie? lol . .

You hang in there bud!

It's that kind of mindset that leads to self destructive behavior such as what the good god fearing preacher just admitted to.
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby blu » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:12 pm

I love being gay, and its a bonus to be fem because nobody will sit next to you on the bus and you have extra room. LOL, kidding.

Life would be so bland and boring if I were straight, I would lack the wit and charm that every gay person has, unless I were rich or somthing.
blu

Postby GX » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:34 pm

blu wrote:You keep mentioning rainbows, I hardly ever see any. The only people who really wave rainbows, wear the bracelets, keychains, happen to be lesbians.

You don't get out much then. :lol: It is a fad with lesbians to put those stickers all over their cars but fruity guys usually have gay symbols around as well.

Two Christmas's ago one of my bf's queeny friends gave him a crocheted rainbow blanket as a gift. We buried the thing so far in the storage shed that I don't think it will ever be found. :lol:
GX

Postby blu » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:16 pm

GX wrote:
blu wrote:You keep mentioning rainbows, I hardly ever see any. The only people who really wave rainbows, wear the bracelets, keychains, happen to be lesbians.

You don't get out much then. :lol: It is a fad with lesbians to put those stickers all over their cars but fruity guys usually have gay symbols around as well.

Two Christmas's ago one of my bf's queeny friends gave him a crocheted rainbow blanket as a gift. We buried the thing so far in the storage shed that I don't think it will ever be found. :lol:

eh, it looks tacky to me, plus Im not trying to be anyones target for gay bashing(bring me my knife) :lol:
blu

Postby Beamer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:36 pm

michaelk69 wrote:

You hang in there bud!

Ah, don't worry about me. It was just a rhetorical question and I was being honest. Given my experiences with dating guys, I'd be more than willing to join the other team if given the chance. I know, who's to say it would go any better? Not going to happen though, so I really don't waste much time thinking about it. But since the subject was brought up...

Anyway, thanks for your compliments MK, I think you're a pretty cool guy too. Too bad you left NJ.. :( :wink:
Beamer

Postby TarRhu » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:08 pm

Hi to all, loved this post like so many others. I would like to really like to say yes, but know better, ie, it really wouldn't make most of life any easier for me and I would dislike myself eventually. I have to admit I've paid dearly professionally for being out, has cost me a major promotion in the past. The world is very unfair to gays, especially here in the states.
"Review everything you've been taught.
Discard anything that's an insult to your soul. And begin again."
...Walt Whitman
TarRhu

Postby mike724 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:49 pm

I'm definately not unhappy with who I am. I've been lucky, I have an accepting family and great friends...straight and gay. But there are a few things that I wouldn't mind having in life that being gay doesn't allow like the ability to create a new life...a child with someone that your in love with and watching that child grow. I know that you can adopt or have a "donor mom" with your bf or partner but it's not quite the same to me. Some people have mentioned that they feel like they are not accepted by or don't fit in with the gay community but I don't feel like I need to fit in with any community. I'm an individual...I'm Mike, a guy who happens to be gay and I'm not trying to fit in with anybody. I'm proud of my accomplishments in life and of who I am and being gay is just a part of that. So, obviously, I'm mixed on this question.
mike724

Postby Beamer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:52 pm

mike724 wrote:I'm definately not unhappy with who I am. I've been lucky, I have an accepting family and great friends...straight and gay. But there are a few things that I wouldn't mind having in life that being gay doesn't allow like the ability to create a new life...a child with someone that your in love with and watching that child grow. I know that you can adopt or have a "donor mom" with your bf or partner but it's not quite the same to me.

That's pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.

mike724 wrote:Some people have mentioned that they feel like they are not accepted by or don't fit in with the gay community but I don't feel like I need to fit in with any community. I'm an individual...I'm Mike, a guy who happens to be gay and I'm not trying to fit in with anybody. I'm proud of my accomplishments in life and of who I am and being gay is just a part of that. So, obviously, I'm mixed on this question.

I am on board with this too.. especially about not needing to fit in with any groups. Why should I change to be accepted by a group that feels I need to change - but also feels I should "be myself". Not interested.
Beamer

Postby Frizzurd » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:03 am

Rather than have my own kids i spoil my little sister and im going to mooch off of her kids when she has them lol
Frizzurd

Postby devilnuts » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:35 am

^LOL...I do that with my nephew. It's the greatest because when you get tired of them after a few hours, you can simply return them. LMAO :lol:
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby Jay » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:03 pm

It's a long journey in learning to accept and love yourself.

There was a time when I thought happiness could never fully be attained as long as I was gay. I felt that the happiest I could be would always be under the bar for normal happiness.

Now I scoff at such ridiculous and destructive thinking of the past!

My 30s have been very, very happy. And I'm getting more and more comfortable being who I am.

It's not perfect. But no straight person's life is either.

I still feel the sting when I'm in an all straight environment and hear gay bashing. Especially when it comes out of nowhere from people I had liked. When you hear them joking about gays or mocking them, it makes you feel horrible inside.

Should I be strong enough to confront them and out myself? Maybe one day I will.

It's all a journey. I'm happy. And so too will the people younger than I on this thread who say they'd change.

You ARE going to change soon enough. Change into being HAPPY and ACCEPTING of yourself.

It comes with age.
Jay

Postby crankycurmudgeon » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:15 pm

I voted no. All things considered, if I were straight, I'd probably have some other 'issue' or difference to reconcile (I'm assuming that my risk profile, conflict aversion and other personality variable remain the same). I might not have done a very good job playing the cards I've been dealt, however who knows what else was in the deck and how I would have played those cards. This life is just FINE!
Like a bad penny, some things just keep coming back.
crankycurmudgeon

Postby Kaniz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 pm

Hell's no, maybe its because I live in Canada, and Toronto at that, its very 'easy' being and out gay male here, and I love my life and my lifestyle and wouldn't want to change it.
Kaniz

Postby alteregoron » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:21 am

Yes! It would make such a difference in my life. Then I could be not having sex with women, instead of the way it is now: not having sex with men. :(
alteregoron

Postby Schlodesss » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:59 am

alteregoron wrote:Yes! It would make such a difference in my life. Then I could be not having sex with women, instead of the way it is now: not having sex with men. :(

Wait! You just put something into perspective for me LOL.. I always moan to myself that it would be eaiser to be straight and meet a partner and to some degree i think it might, but it still seems like lotsa guys and girls I know don't get laid... in the straight world there are more potential mates, but also more 'stiff' lol competition!!!!!!! So probably the same amount of loners in the end??

I can't remember if I answered this already.. but I changed my mind. I wouldn't come back Gay or straight or even human, since we've collectively screwed earth up so bad.. But if I HAD to come back, it would be as a snake of some sort, something badass like a Gaboon Viper, A Spitting Cobra, Taipan, etc.. If I were a constrictor i'd want to be an Emerald Tree Boa.. waay out in the middle of nowhere.

Otherwise.. human, I guess i'll stay as I am, I am not a kid person, and some whiney woman nagging would drive me nuts, plus loading up the minivan full of kids and stuff and going to hockey wouldn't be my cup of tea [all the time] plus alot of the kid BS my friends go thru... I'd be cool if I met someone with kids.. but not full time. Spoil them then sneak off when they act up and yell for their dad to come discepline.. LOL.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby crankycurmudgeon » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:21 am

alteregoron wrote:Yes! It would make such a difference in my life. Then I could be not having sex with women, instead of the way it is now: not having sex with men. :(

Welcome back! It has been a while.

Now back to our topic...
Like a bad penny, some things just keep coming back.
crankycurmudgeon

Postby soldierguy20031 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:05 am

It's been forever since I've been on the boards...long story why, but it had nothing to do with anyone here. So I'm starting to come back and browse the boards...figured I'd comment here.

There is no way I would change if I could. Sure, life would be much easier...I wouldn't have to worry about losing a job, I could get married (but I wouldn't want kids...just a personal preference)...there's a lot more I could mention, but I won't list it all.

I wouldn't change simply because the process of coming out forced me to take a hard look at myself, my life, my friends, my family, etc...I spent a long time working to get to the point where I could accept my sexuality and be glad in it, and along the way I learned SO MUCH about who I am as a person. It was a painful journey, but incredibly worthwhile because I know myself well. Along the way of discovering who I am, I was also able to make some changes for the good in who I am, and although I'm not perfect in any way, I'm happy with who I am, and I'm MUCH richer for the journey of learning who I am. I'd feel like I was abandoning who I am.
soldierguy20031

Postby rovie » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:23 am

Nice to see you around soldierguy. Good on you for finding your way.
love thy neighbour
rovie

Postby Creature » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:40 pm

NO NO NO

"You are who you are.............and I wouldn't want to change a thing
in spite of all the pain that love can bring.....................what can I do
I'm so in love with you"

I love being gay. I love not having to fit into the cosntraints of marriage that society imposes. I love having access to sex almost whenever I want it. Maybe it is a selfish existance, but my soul needs this at the moment.

What felt like a horrible trap a teenager has afforded boundless personal freedom as an adult.
Creature

Postby Gryphon711 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:59 pm

Yes, the "Straight Fairy" was something that I made up in my head a while back. It kind of poked fun at my constant fantasies of some magical being that would show up out of nowhere like Cinderella's Fairy Godmother and fix whatever problems I had with myself; the cheif ones were my weight and my sexuality.

I don't have those fantasies anymore. It's nice. I've discovered that I can be a sexual person (if you asked me in high school I would have told you that i didn't have a chance at losing my virginity until I lost all my weight and got myself looking like the QB) and I can be loved (boyfriend!) and I have sex appeal (aren't bears wonderful?).

I encourage those people with frequent "wouldn't it be nice if I were straight?" fantasies to kick the straight-fairy in the face and enjoy your homosexual life.
Gryphon711

Postby Texas_Thang » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:04 am

I'm going to agree.

It's like... NO. NO.

I am who I am.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby SportsOutdoorsGA » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:03 am

I gotta admit that I'd accept the offer. The number of gay men who want a monogamous relationship and a life in society's mainstream seems incredibly small.
SportsOutdoorsGA

Postby h00kairz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:41 pm

In a manogamous relationship. Would NEVER consider going straight cuz U luv him.

But would I if I didn't have him? Prolly not. Straight relationships present their own challenges. It's a grass-is-always-greener thing. I have quite a few straight friends who've recently married and are starting to have kids. And let me tell you, they're miserable, constantly at each others' throats--bickering and nagging and griping.
h00kairz

Postby Cajun » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:50 pm

SportsOutdoorsGA wrote:I gotta admit that I'd accept the offer. The number of gay men who want a monogamous relationship and a life in society's mainstream seems incredibly small.

You busy Saturday night????

:wink: :wink: :wink:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

PreviousNext

Return to Straight Acting Men