The Year in Review

There's a lot of discussions about "internalized homophobia" going on here. Talk about racism, prejudice, religion, and all that's on your mind. Now you have a new place to gab.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, edu999

The Year in Review

Postby olywaguy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:27 pm

A thread to talk about how your year wen this year.

Well...2010 has been a bad one for me.

Work has been horrible having to bunt heads with three librarians who were unsupportive of the collection that I oversaw. Back in the April, the decision was made to withdraw from the Federal documents depository system. Since then, my entire job has been dedicated to deaccessioning the collection. The stress and pressure that the librarians were giving me got to the point that I needed to take two weeks off from work in order to unstress. But, of course, people were trying to meddle in the work that I was doing during the period I was off until the dean intervened and let me do the work that I am supposed to do. As a result of this, the librarians no longer supervise classified staff and department heads now report directly to the dean.

Now only do I have to worry about the deaccessioning of the collection but also about a change in my duties. Now the focus will be on geographic information systems (GIS) and maps instead of government documents and maps...though, there will still be a need for patron need for government information just not in a official capacity. Circulation can't wait to take over the shelves that the government collection was located in. After offering the publications nationally to the various government documents depositories around the country, I have these government documents giveaways on campus so folks can give it a good home and minimize the amount of titles that are being sent to the recycling bin....38 years worth of materials including some 19th century titles (luckily the majority of those 19th century titles were either retained by the library or given away to depositories that needed it). All because the librarians are under the illusion that everything can be found on the internet. Of course, the removal of the collection was all political.

On the encouragement of the dean, I audited a class this quarter on geographic information systems (GIS...digital mapping) and I did learn a lot from it...but the software is not terribly user friendly or intuitive...it is a challenge to be sure.

All year I have been looking forward to going home to Mississippi for the holidays but Delta took over Northwest (and it being the only airline that goes to Tupelo, MS). Now Delta has the route but it is way too expensive. They've always been more expensive than Northwest. For some idiotic reason, it is cheaper to go from Seattle to either Tupelo or Memphis, TN than the return trip. Why is the return trip twice as expensive as the departure trip? That is insane!! Even tried Amtrak, however had the same result. This is the first time since my arrival in Olympia that I won't be able to go back home to Mississippi for the holidays and its really making me very unhappy. Today, I began my Christmas vacation and won't return back to work until Jan. 3rd.

I can't wait for 2010 to be over.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: The Year in Review

Postby J » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:01 am

This year has been nothing but 365 days of life sucks here too.

At least you have a job, though it may be crappy. I haven't worked in over a year, can't find a thing (not sure if that has anything to do with needing about a dozen crowns for decaying and broken teeth with no dental insurance - where am I gonna find the money for $2000 a root canal/implant when my UI benefits are 2 weeks from ending?)

Speaking of which, my 3rd to last check is delayed (I hate christmas) and I have $.24 to my name.

Needless to say, I can afford nothing for anyone, and I'm willingly bypassing that awful holiday. If 2011 goes better, maybe I'll reconsider, but this year, no way. You should see my place. You'd think it was February or March. I don't decorate, and I haven't received as much as a card in years. Oh well. It won't be the first (second, third, ninth?) time I've bypassed it.

2010 for me has been the worst since 2004 and 1996.
J

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:24 am

Good lord. I just had one crown done....the pain was getting unbearable. You have a dozen teeth like that?! :shock:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby J » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:08 am

Yeah I do. With the exception of my incisors and molars, every tooth is in some stage of "crumble". I'm not in any pain though, go figure! Even the one that rotted to the gumline never caused any pain. I'm sure the screw for the implant will though. :!:
J

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:38 am

Oh. Well that's good to hear. I was imagining you in 12 times the pain I was in! I fractured my back left molar and every time cold water hit it, I hit the ceiling. The cure was also painful. I have to go back today and get the temporary crown taken off and the permanent one put on. They told me that would not hurt. Thank God. Dentists. Yeesh.

This was sure a year to forget weather wise. Cold, rainy summer bookended by the usual rotten cold winters. All twelve months were consistently below average in temperature. Depressing as hell. :x
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:23 pm

The year wasn't much fun for me either.

Too much work, not enough play.

I've got a month off, so determined to make up for it.

It's half-way through Xmas day here, so have a good one. Hope the coming year brings you happiness, good tidings and more men than you can shake a stick at.

*Big hugs*
solat

Postby Gaydudelaf » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Ha, this was a shitty year from me too! :( So let me lift up my class and say CHEERS to 2011!
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Postby nimby » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:06 am

^ Ditto. Peace, love and a better new year to all!!!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Internal Affairs