Rutgers Student Commits Suicide

There's a lot of discussions about "internalized homophobia" going on here. Talk about racism, prejudice, religion, and all that's on your mind. Now you have a new place to gab.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, edu999

Rutgers Student Commits Suicide

Postby olywaguy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 pm

Just read this from AOL News...what is the matter with people?

Student Kills Himself After Sex Webcast; 2 Charged
Updated: 2 hours 31 minutes ago

David Lohr Contributor
AOL News

(Sept. 29) -- Two Rutgers University students have been arrested on charges they illegally streamed video of a classmate's gay sexual encounter over the Internet. The alleged victim in the case committed suicide, his family confirmed.

According to Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce J. Kaplan, freshmen students Dharun Ravi, 18, of Plainsboro, N.J., and Molly Wei, 18, of Princeton, N.J., have been charged with two counts each of invasion of privacy for using a camera to view and transmit a live image of 18-year-old Tyler Clementi on Sept. 19. Clementi, a resident of Ridgewood, N.J., was a freshman at the university and Ravi's roommate.

Tyler Clementi, shown in a Facebook photo, reportedly committed suicide after two Rutgers University students taped him having sex and broadcast live images of the encounter. The two students have been arrested and face criminal charges.

Ravi has also been charged with two additional counts of invasion of privacy for allegedly attempting to use the camera to view and transmit another encounter involving Clementi on Sept. 21.

Rutgers police said their probe began after they learned that a camera had been placed in a student's dorm room without his permission.

Clementi is believed to have jumped off the George Washington Bridge on Thursday. His wallet was found on the bridge and his car was located nearby.

"Jumping off the gw bridge sorry," he wrote on his Facebook page on Sept. 22, according to WPIX-TV and The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J.

Through a statement issued by a lawyer, his family confirmed Clementi had committed suicide.

"Tyler was a fine young man and a distinguished musician. The family is heartbroken beyond words. They respectfully request that they be given time to grieve their great loss and that their privacy at this painful time be respected by all," the Clementi family said.

"The family and their representatives are cooperating fully with the ongoing criminal investigations of two Rutgers University students," the statement said.

Members of the New York Police Department Harbor Unit today recovered the body of a man wearing only pants and a watch, WABC-TV said.

The station said investigators suspect Clementi committed suicide after he learned about the Internet broadcast.

Authorities have yet to comment on where the live feed was broadcast, but The Star-Ledger cited a Twitter profile that Ravi allegedly uses in which a poster mentioned the instant message/live feed service iChat on Sept. 22.

"Roommate asked for room again. Its happening again. People with iChat don't you dare video chat me from 930 to 12," the message read.

A similar tweet, posted on Sept. 19, reads, "Roommate asked for room till midnight. I went into Molly's room and turned on my webcam. I saw him making out with a dude. Yay."

The Star-Ledger said that Ravi and Wei attended Windsor-Plainsboro High School North before enrolling at Rutgers less than a month ago.

Rutgers spokeswoman Sandra Lanman said in a statement that the two students could face disciplinary action. "The university takes these matters seriously and has policies to deal with student behavior," Lanman said.

Calls to Ravi's lawyer, Steven Altman, were not returned, and e-mail messages to Wei were not answered today. At this time, it remains unclear whether Wei is being represented by an attorney.

Under New Jersey's invasion-of-privacy statutes, it is a fourth-degree crime to collect or view images depicting nudity or sexual contact involving another individual without that person's consent, and it is a third-degree crime to transmit or distribute such images. The penalty for conviction of a third-degree offense can include a prison term of up to five years, Kaplan's office said in a press release.

James O'Neill, a public relations officer for the prosecutor's office, declined to comment on whether Ravi or Wei could face additional charges if Clementi's suicide is positively linked to their alleged actions. Steve Cron, a veteran criminal defense attorney in Santa Monica, Calif., told AOL News that it is unlikely they will be charged in relation to it.

"No, I don't see how they could," Cron said. "Even if they could prove it -- for instance [they find] a note saying, 'I did it because of that videotape' -- that is not admissible in court. I don't see how they could ever prosecute and say that because they did that, it was foreseeable that they should have known that this was going to happen."

As an example, Cron points to the case of Megan Taylor Meier, a Missouri teen who committed suicide in October 2006. Meier's parents attributed their daughter's death to cyberbullying, but state prosecutors were unable to find grounds for charges.

But Cron said he doubts a judge will go easy on Ravi and Wei.

"I say that only because there is a lot of publicity," Cron said. "A judge is going to want to send out the word [that] you can't do that, [and] there are consequences. This is a dangerous thing, and everybody needs to be aware of the consequences of what they are doing."

Ravi is free on $25,000 bail, and Wei is free on her own recognizance. There is no word yet on when they will make their next court appearance.

* © 2010 All Rights Reserved AOL News. © AOL Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: Rutgers Student Commits Suicide

Postby Schlodesss » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:02 pm

This worlds a mess... and it's not getting better.....
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby ispeaktexan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Wow that's just downright evil.
You don't invade someones privacy like that.
What a prick.

Definitely not getting any better.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:38 am

An update on the case.

This link also provides a video about the case.

Bias crime charges weighed after NJ teen's suicide
By GEOFF MULVIHILL and SAMANTHA HENRY, AP

PISCATAWAY, N.J. — As prosecutors consider filing bias-crime charges against two college freshmen accused of streaming online video of a classmate's sexual encounter with another man, a huge divide has emerged between those who support the suspects and those who want to see them punished.

The saga that unfolded this week at Rutgers University has become a flashpoint for debate after the revelation that 18-year-old Tyler Clementi had jumped to his death from the George Washington Bridge on Sept. 22.

Leading up to the suicide, a post appeared on a website catering to gay men seeking advice on what to do after learning that a roommate secretly filmed a liaison. While it's impossible to be certain that that post and subsequent ones were made by Clementi, they mirror the same timeline as the alleged filming and reflect the anguish someone in that situation might have felt.

Clementi's roommate, Dharun Ravi, of Plainsboro, N.J., and another student, and Molly Wei, of Princeton, N.J., both 18, are charged with invasion of privacy, with the most serious charges carrying a penalty of up to five years in prison.

But Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce J. Kaplan said Thursday that more charges were possible under New Jersey's hate-crimes law.

"We will be making every effort to assess whether bias played a role in the incident, and, if so, we will bring appropriate charges," he said in a statement.
Rutgers Student Kills Self After Being taped

The legal question has to do with the motive.

A person can be found guilty of a bias crime in New Jersey if the jury agrees that he or she committed a crime because of a belief that the victim is a member of a protected group, such as a racial minority or gay.

Ravi's lawyer has not responded to requests for comment. Messages left with an attorney believed to be representing Wei were not returned.

High school friends of the suspects, both 2010 graduates of West Windsor-Plainsboro High, say the suspects have no problem with gay people.

"He had gay friends," Derek Yan, 16, told The Associated Press. Yan said that he chatted online with Ravi, an Ultimate Frisbee player, about college life in recent weeks. "He said he was lucky to have a good roommate," Yan said. "He said his roommate was cool."

Jim McGreevey, the state's former governor who resigned after he announced he was a "gay American," said Friday he was "filled with great sadness" at Clementi's suicide. He talked about the difficulties of coming to terms with being gay, especially at a young age.

"He was trying to find a community online, but at the same time basically being terrorized online, by roommates," he told ABC's "Good Morning America."

Numerous websites popped up in defense of the suspects, with some proclaiming their innocence or calling their alleged actions a prank. Countless other sites, however, were dedicated to bashing the suspects or calling for stiffer charges, including manslaughter.

The comments on the pages are emotional and sometimes vitriolic. Some postings call the suspects "sickos" and "cold-blooded killers" while others display homophobia and racism (both suspects are minorities), even thanking the suspects for their possible role in a gay man's death.

Luanne Peterpaul, who has worked as a prosecutor and criminal defense lawyer and serves as the vice chairwoman of the gay rights group Garden State Equality, said bias crimes can be hard to prove.

She said prosecutors should look at evidence including the Twitter messages Ravi may have used to alert friends to the alleged video. She said that there might be clues as to his intent.

Peterpaul said she believes that filming a man and a woman engaged in sex in a dorm room would not have had the same results.

"It's quite possible that maybe they would have videotaped an opposite-sex couple," she said. "But would there have been such a following?"

The saga took another twist when the website Gawker reported that someone started a discussion on a graphic gay-oriented website after realizing his roommate was "spying" on him with a webcam.

The author described his conflicted feelings after reading his roommate's tweets about the author kissing a guy in their room while he watched from afar. Should he report his roommate or request a room change? Would either help or just make things worse? The author later wrote that he told a resident assistant about the filming — and that he unplugged his roommate's computer and searched the room for hidden cameras before another liaison.

The last known communication from Clementi was on his Facebook page. It said, "Jumping off the gw bridge sorry."

Friends were shocked that Clementi, a talented violinist who was known as quiet but happy, would have been embroiled in scandal — or would have killed himself.

"I would never expect this to happen to him," said John Shen, a student at the New York Institute of Technology and a high school friend of Clementi's who last saw him about a month ago. "He's such a good kid. I've never seen him angry."

___

Mulvihill reported from Haddonfield. Contributing to this report were Associated Press news researcher Rhonda Shafner in New York; videographers Ted Shaffrey in Ridgewood and Bonny Ghosh in Plainsboro; and writers Angela Delli Santi in Trenton and Wayne Parry in Atlantic City.

Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Rico » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:22 am

It's been dismaying but certainly predictable how the the mainstream media has covered Tyler's story so far. It seems the focus of the story seems to be on the dangers of the Internet, cyberspying, privacy and the like. I would have hoped that more of the story would have focused on where it actually belongs: Why a gifted young young man would feel driven to suicide for being exposed as gay, and the lack of support and understanding he expected from his friends, his family, his church, and from society in general. I'm waiting for that aspect of the story.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Yesterday the bodies of two young women were discovered north of the city, together in a field. They both went missing a few days ago. Foul play is not suspected.

Radio reports said they were lovers who comitted suicide cause both were teased for their sexuality.

"Foul play was ruled out Saturday in the deaths of two young Shelburne area women whose bodies were found in a wooded area near Orangeville one day earlier.

In a joint statement, the Orangeville Police department and the OPP identified the two bodies discovered Friday as those of Chantal Dube, 17, and Jeanine Blanchette, 21.

The pair were found dead 32 days after Orangeville nurse Sonia Varaschin, 42, was reported missing.

A dog-walker spotted her body six days later, dumped beside a rural road 12 km east of the town of 27,000. The hunt for her killer is ongoing.

Dube and Blanchette, who lived in Melancthon Township northwest of the nearby Town of Shelburne, were reported missing last Tuesday.

Police said they knew each other and were believed to be travelling together.

The wooded area where they were found is near Riddell Rd. and the

Orangeville-Caledon Townline.

The two forces stated they “do not believe that the deaths of these two young women are associated to any ongoing police investigations being conducted at this time and foul play is not suspected.”

The cause of the pair’s deaths had not been determined Saturday. The two bodies were taken to the Ontario chief coroner’s office in Toronto for autopsies.

ian.robertson@sunmedia.ca "
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Odeh » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:53 pm

What I don't understand with the bullying is why some of the kids are so sensitive these days over Facebook etc?...My reaction would be to find the culprits beat their behinds
and break their cellphones..I don't understand why he would kill himself..
Odeh

Postby DeckApe » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:17 pm

I think what it boils down to is that unlike when a lot of us were growing up, the technology and its constant-communication habit means that basically you can't get away from it. Kids think nothing of giving out their cel number, someone else's cell number, e-mail address, etc. I still don't give out other peoples' numbers and addresses. If I have it, I get whomever's number and pass it along, asking them to call.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:01 pm

I think part of it is that kids grow up without a dad. Dads are the ones who teach you how to be strong. We learn how to suck up the little things in life and move on. Instead, kids grow up with their mom and other women around the house where kids are mothered and don't learn how to be strong.

Also, the fact there is the public perception that being gay is the most horrible thing that can happen to you and to have that be known in an instant all over the world can be embarrassing...feeling like everyone is looking at you and making judgements about you.

What the roommate did was absolutely wrong and malicious. If he felt uncomfortable living with a gay person, all he needed to do was move out and find another place to live. Instead, he and his friend did this and they should be incarcerated for it.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:45 am

I'm not sure how I would react if that had happened to me. Isn't having sex with somebody (even a man) something to brag about? It certainly is for straight guys. Yet this guy had the complete opposite reaction.....humiliation and suicide.

The kid from Texas....I can relate to that. No way on earth would I have come out in middle school! In 1977! And even now...probably not. We still live in a world full of bigots and hatred. And kids have no shame about cruelty. sigh
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:18 pm

It depends a lot on the person that comes out, as well as the area.

I knew two guys who were openly gay in high school. One who was made fun of. And one who everyone loved and was on the football team.
Nobody look at the second one any differently.
But the first guy, he had it a bit rough.

I wasn't out in middle school. But high school and college haven't been bad. At all. Never experienced any problems.
I guess south texas isn't all that bad, and neither is new mexico.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:35 pm

ispeaktexan wrote:
But the first guy, he had it a bit rough.

Did he have an effeminate manner?
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby nimby » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:57 pm

olywaguy wrote:I think part of it is that kids grow up without a dad. Dads are the ones who teach you how to be strong. We learn how to suck up the little things in life and move on. Instead, kids grow up with their mom and other women around the house where kids are mothered and don't learn how to be strong.

Carlos, I have to agree. Speaking from personal experience, I had no one to show me the ropes into manhood. My Dad died when I was 10 and I instantly became the man of the family, the keeper of my sister, constant companion to my mother, and a comtributor to the family. I've been working since I was 9. Familial responsibility was pounded into me at such an early age that I didn't know anything else. I wasn't allowed to go away to school, wasn't allowed to see the world and wasn't allowed to make mistakes. Even the courses I took in college were voted on by my extended family ( aunts and uncles). And it was instilled in me at a very early age that I must settle down early and marry and start a family as to keep alive the family name. I was the last of the line, so it all fell on me.

Now I'm trapped. The more I tried to pull away, the deeper fate pulled me in. Now I couldn't get out even if I tried. At one point I too did think of an "accident", but now I can't even do that. The older I get the more I realize how growing up without a dad has really affected who I am today. It is fate and I'm just starting to realize that. I just hope that at the end of the day, I see a meaning to this life, but I doubt it. Even though I have so many surrounding me, I've never felt more alone than I do today.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:45 pm

olywaguy wrote:

Did he have an effeminate manner?

Yes he does. He is effeminate. That was the issue I think.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Return to Internal Affairs