Un-thanksgiving

There's a lot of discussions about "internalized homophobia" going on here. Talk about racism, prejudice, religion, and all that's on your mind. Now you have a new place to gab.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, edu999

Un-thanksgiving

Postby J » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:13 pm

It's hard to think of a year I've had less to be thankful for ("be thankful you're alive" is nothing more than a cliche). But for those who feel differently, consider yourselves lucky not to be broke, depressed beyond the point of breakdown, with no light at the end of the tunnel.

"The only way to go from rock bottom is up". Another cliche. There's always a trap door underneath you (well me at least) at your "lowest" point.
J

Re: Un-thanksgiving

Postby catapult » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:37 pm

Hang in there J. Get as much rest as you can. Sounds simple, but it can be the best Rx. Depression is a physical as well as mental thing.

Rally round a friend or family member. Sounds like you need some serious and close support at this time.

Another cliche - The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

The sun WILL come up again on your night of darkness.

GL
catapult

Postby butch » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:52 pm

Winter is a gloomy time of year but don't let it get you down.

I've been homeless, I've had many bad days in my life, but those kinds of things make one wiser, in the end.

P.S. try to find some money for vitamin D... believe it, or not, it will help a little bit with depression.

You live in a land of opportunity, the rest is up to you.

I'm not big on holidays, so I just ignore them as best I can. I'm quite the loner and it works better for me that way, even if I don't always like that fact. You will be as fine as you want to be. Remember, no one owes you anything, not even the time of day, so live with it.

Take care.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:51 am

Well you're not alone. I live with depression every day. I've been on drugs for it since 1995. 14 years and I'm still here.

I find holidays and sometimes weekends kind of a downer. It just reminds you how alone you are. So yeah ignoring them is a good tactic.

I had a bad case of the November blahs today. The lack of sunlight does that. I notice it even more on sunny days. The sun is so low in the sky there's shadows everywhere.

Hang in there. Spring is only 4 months away. :mrgreen:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Yeah, I wish I had some witty comeback for you, some little bit od sushine, but I don't. Not anymore. Just know that others are at their lowest too. And seek councelling. There's nothing wrong with admitting that you can't do it alone anymore. We finally did today.

This is what I know. I hope it helps.

On a positive note, I've learned that, no matter what happens, how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles four things:
a rainy day, the elderly, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.

I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as making a 'life..'

I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.You nee d to be able to throw something back sometimes.

I've learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you
But, if you focus on your family, your friends, the needs of others,
your work and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you

I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.

I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.

I've learned that every day, you should reach out and touch someone.

People love that human touch -- holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.

I've learned that you should pass this on to everyone you care about.I just did.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:52 am

Try to cheer up buddy. I know its difficult but it can be done. I'm just getting through a rather difficult time as well so don't feel all alone. I try to think of things this way. You can always make your present situation better; even if its just by a little bit. Also start saying (out loud) those things you want out of your life. You may not get them immediately and it may take a while but at the very least you're hearing it. Which is more encouraging then reminding yourself as to why you're upset.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Anyway, who else can say that they actually lost weight over Thanksgiving? That's somewhat uncommon, but I'm down 7 pounds since last week. Bypassing the festivities (actually, having nobody to share them with), I didn't indulge, and a bout with an intestinal problem (I'll stop there) brought me below the 195 mark again. Not that it's a big deal, I've been gaining and losing the same 10-20 pounds forever it seems. but I haven't been 189 in a while, so that was nice to see (I want to be back down to 170-175, but I don't think that'll happen).
J

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:06 am

I weigh myself about twice a year. Just to check. It rarely fluctuates more than 2 pounds one way or the other. Sometimes I gain more weight in the summer from eating too much ice cream. Whoops.

I gained about 30 pounds in my twenties, and another 30 in my thirties. Since I hit 40 though, everything stabilized. No change in diet or anything....I guess it was just my metabolism slowing down that caused all the weight gain.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby J » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:47 pm

Earl Butz wrote:I gained about 30 pounds in my twenties, and another 30 in my thirties. Since I hit 40 though, everything stabilized. No change in diet or anything....I guess it was just my metabolism slowing down that caused all the weight gain.

Sounds familiar. That's when I was over 300 (in my mid 20s) after being barely 140 in my teens.
J

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Well...not quite. I went from 170 to 200 and then 230. I guess if I exercised I wouldn't be so fat. :lol:
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Return to Internal Affairs