your stories about anti-gay street preachers

There's a lot of discussions about "internalized homophobia" going on here. Talk about racism, prejudice, religion, and all that's on your mind. Now you have a new place to gab.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, edu999

your stories about anti-gay street preachers

Postby rob650 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:57 pm

We've all run into these guys at some point, mostly they entertain the hell out of me.

This morning, I was bike riding through San Francisco, and stopped for a break on a bench right outside City Hall. Across the street in the plaza was a young preacher (black suit + white collar) with a megaphone, speaking out against gays and how (we) were going to destroy San Francisco and the United States. His points:

1. Gays manipulate the media to kill any news story involving a gay person breaking laws or committing crimes, so that in general society, gays can appear more "good and moral" than they are actually capable of.
2. Biologically impossible for "Heather to have two Mommies".
3. Apparently gays are in control of the white house and at least one of the armed forces.
4. Homosexuality isn't a civil rights issue, because gays were always able to sit in the front of the bus, but not blacks.
5. It is illegal to be naked in public. All gays say "we were born gay" - well, we were all born naked also. Being naked is illegal, so why is being gay not illegal?
6. God is coming very very soon to destory SF, Sacramento (head of state government) and all of California.

He demanded any qualified gay person to come and debate with him right there. I think a couple of bums argued with him for kicks. It was an interesting 15 minutes today.
Too much noise, not enough signal...
rob650

Re: your stories about anti-gay street preachers

Postby butch » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:40 am

Haven't met any anti-gay preachers, but I've been stopped by pairs of young men (Mormons) who are eager to spread the word. I take great delight in telling them a few things about God, but mostly I encourage them to beat their meat often. Mostly they get the hint I'm not waiting for salvation pretty quickly.

The J. Witnesses seem not to obvious in Vancouver, so haven't had a chance to shock any of them lately. It's always fun to start doing the math with them about the 144,000 who will make it to heaven... such as the disparity in the numbers... there already being a lot more of them than that... like who will make the cut? And what about the deceased? Great fun. And I always make sure they know I'm a fag right off the bat.

Such fun. I despise religion and enjoy any chance I have to dump on the superstitious and ignorant.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:45 am

Wow. An anti gay preacher in San Francisco? That's like running an anti beef campaign in Alberta. You get lots of tomatoes thrown at you.

Poor soul. Sounds paranoid and hysterical. 1,3 and 6 are all the proof you need.

We used to get Mormons at the door. They're a tad obnoxious so I would just say no thank you and shut the door on them mid sentence. :mrgreen:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Wow. I have never even heard of anti-gay street preachers. Had no idea such an animal existed. Would be rather entertaining. He'd get the snot kicked out of himself here, then busted for hate crimes.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby rob650 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:11 pm

Yea, you'd think it would be a waste of time. But, In SF, its a pretty safe bet if you come across a preacher pontificating in public, his got an opinion on the gays he'd like you to hear.
Too much noise, not enough signal...
rob650

Postby PhillyAgenda » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:40 am

The closest thing to the shouting street preacher thing was when I accidentally stumbled into the Equality Forum even that was being held in center city Philadelphia. I was going to see a movie and started noticing lots of rainbow flags and such. So I figured "Oh, there must be some gay pride event going on." I had never actually been to one, or really wanted to anyway.

As I was walking through the event to get to the movie theater, to my surprise I spot several people with signs that had scripture verses on them. It looked like they were shouting at people and some were shouting back while the police kept them apart. I realized what they were doing and kind of laughed to myself cause I had never seen people do that on the street before. But it made perfect sense that they would show up at a gay pride event. Shoulda taken some pictures with my phone!
PhillyAgenda

Return to Internal Affairs