Post Employment Depression: For Whiners Only

There's a lot of discussions about "internalized homophobia" going on here. Talk about racism, prejudice, religion, and all that's on your mind. Now you have a new place to gab.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, edu999

Re: Post Employment Depression: For Whiners Only

Postby madsglen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Congrats, Chip! I wish you (and Dustin) the best of luck. Hope it all turns out great for you guys.

Yeah, I agree things seem to be picking up somewhat but it can still be discouraging. Got to a third interview with one health care company here (including a second interview that was with about eight people in the room) for a compliance management position. After #3 they ultimately chose an 'internal candidate'. While I understand i haven't 'grown up' in the health care adminstration field, it did feel like I was being used in some way to validate a decision they wanted to make earlier on but needed to show they'd looked at their 'options'. Hard not to feel a bit discouraged.

The really discouraging ones were the two offers I received earlier this summer that I had to turn down. Both offers were for pretty good jobs but one was for just over half what I had been making before and the other turned into a 'contract' type position after the process started which included few benefits and was also for what I considered a significantly lower salary.

After all that I got two phone calls from my former employer. One was about a risk manager position to cover a group that was carved out of my former division. Met informally with the hiring manager for dinner when he was out here on the West Coast at one of the group locations in Portland. No formal interview yet but evidently there are a number of people whispering in his ear about me. The other was to let me know of some other changes that have resulted from the reorganization which resulted in my position being terminated and that there will likely be a position opening up covering my old turf on the West Coast. That one would be only one job grade lower than the one I had when I left, so not too bad. Unfortunately, as of last week I've passed the period where I could be rehired and retain my years of service (which affects vacations, future severance, etc.). Still I would like to work with my old colleagues again.

We'll see what happens. I've been tapering off the applications, etc. for the last couple of weeks since I'll be out of the country (and halfway around the world) for the first couple of weeks in September. Figured it wouldn't be a good idea not being able to respond to voicemail or e-mail in a timely manner.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby Gaydudelaf » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Madsglen, you are very highly qualified and pretty impressive. I think the one thing that has helped me more than anything else is what Chi said. One month for every 10,000 per year. That seems to be ringing true.

It is starting to look like the Houston job is going to happen so we will be neighbors with the Houston boys! The cool thing is we won't have to travel for the Houston get together's anymore. Anyone have a house we can rent. :)
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Postby catapult » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Many communities have dental clinics for unemployed or low income. And these are not students. Real dentists give their time. Check it out where you are or where you land.

IN the meantime, clove oil works great on a tooth ache to get you by.

I've lost a huge % of my retirement to the downdraft in the stock market and it has NOT come back. And my online income stream has dwindled to survival levels only. I'm looking for new sources of income.

GL
catapult

Postby carguy60 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:00 am

I've been unemployed since May 2008. I had worked as a Service Advisor for a local car dealership and we had a new Director of Service come in and clean house and put his own folks in place. My boss, the Service Manager, had been there 22 years! I interviewed with other dealerships, but it always seemed like the interviewer was good friends with the guy that fired me, so nothing ever went any further. I was chosen for another job at a repair shop about 100 miles away, but then the owner turned around and sold the business before I could relocate. Last spring, I was called back for a final interview at a large, local repair shop. When I got there, I was told there was a family emergency. I rescheduled for the following day, and after waiting 2 hours, they told me they had just filled the position. After that, I got so discouraged and depressed, I gave up looking for the summer. Tomorrow, I start again. I have a college degree and also attended tech school, which is more than is usually required for this job.

I have made enough on unemployment to pay my monthly bills, but unless they extend the unemployment, I will run out of money soon. I am diabetic, but haven't been able to afford my meds in over a year, which is taking a toll on my health. As usual, I make just a bit too much for any kind of assistance. I am going to see a recruiter tomorrow, so wish me luck!
carguy60

Postby J » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:12 am

I've given up on the job hunt after several lost interviews and my UI benefits ($550/week net) being extended 18 months. So I'll just falsify my "job hunt" for now. My car has already been reposessed, my credit is about 330 (not exaggerating), I've been reported to that asshole "chex systems" so what else do I have to lose? Every time I lose an interview, I want to kill myself (and others by jumping off an overpass), so probably best to enjoy my "vacation" paid for by the government. Hell, they owe me! Let the rich lucky employed bastards support me! I have no qualms about it. So no job hunting in the near future for me. And the only offer I've gotten pays $11/hour, far less than I get from unemployment, where I can lie in bed all day! I really hate this capitalist "winner take all" cuntry. I wish I was born and raised in Sweden, hell, they pay 60% in taxes, but everyone's taken care of! Even Canada! I'd have health care, and be able to take care of this anxiety driven blood vomiting and internal bleeding (ie, shitting torrents of blood). So fcuk america and the capitalist fukers who want a winner take all society where they throw a lock on any opportunity for the rest of us. I hate this cuntry more than words can describe.
J

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:04 am

Sweden's too cold. Try Cuba. Free health care, and lovely weather year round! :mrgreen:

Love the cheery red font...easy too read, too. Too bad your life is such a horror story, though. Sleep is certainly comforting when you're depressed. Sometimes in the winter I wake up and realize where I am and just go back to bed.

Yeah. Life's a bitch. :?
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:43 am

J, I'm truly sorry for what you're going through. Just know that others are thinking of you and wishing you well.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:02 am

I saw a student I had not seen for a while on Friday evening. He graduated this past summer. The problem is he hasn't been able to get a job. So, he decided to enter the navy. He will be reporting there at the end of the month. He's 26 years old...considered old for entering the armed services these days. The only reason he's doing it is because there aren't any jobs anywhere for him.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:11 am

and yet I get so angry here cause lots of good government jobs are going to recent visible minority immigrants, just because they are immigrants of a visible minority class. Yea, reverse discrimination is alive and well in Canada. When the ad says women, handicapped and visible minorities are strongly encouraged to apply, that means no white males, thanks.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:04 pm

J, can you use this oppourtunity to go back to school? I know that here, when on EI, the government will pay for you to be retrained while you collect EI. Maybe it's the same there. And look at going into the trades. In Canada, we are screaming for skilled tradespeople, and paying them very well. The states can't be that different.

Good luck.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:25 pm

J, I'm so sorry to hear that the interviews haven't been going well for you. Know firsthand how frustrating, discouraging and depressing that can be. Unfortunately, from this far away, all I can do is to be sympathetic and encouraging even when all seems hopeless and like life has gone to hell. Know there's little or no comfort in knowing have or are dealing with the same garbage. Still, I would encourage you to try not to cut yourself off from what services or help that may be available even if it is hard to take. I'd especially encourage reaching out to anyone who's close to you there to help find services or assistance related to your medical issues, which are serious. But you already know that.

Please try to find something good in your life out of all the bad stuff that's happening if you can. And realize that there are people here and elsewhere who value you. And accept a virtual hug from me right now since that's the best I can do. Take care.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby Rico » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 pm

J -- I hope you read this. No matter how bad it seems right now for you, you'll soon learn that life is not only filled with the most terrible adversity, it's also filled with surprising adventures and the most unusual surprises.

I'll spare you the cliches. Although I'm in rather good shape financially and job-wise now, I know that in my middle-age and in this economy, it could all disappear for me in a heartbeat. For that reason I'll always keep in my back pocket Harlen's story. Nearly bankrupt, Harlen at the age of 65, using $105 from his first Social Security check, loaded his car with some pots, pans and pressure cookers, and went on the road. Ten years later Harlen sold the Kentucky Fried Chicken corporation for $2 million.

I'm not saying you'll be a millionaire, but I can assure you that the days ahead will not be as dark as the days seem now. I know for certain that sometime soon you will find both love, companionship and a comfortable existence. In the meantime, enjoy the friendship you can find right here.

All the best,
Rico
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:55 pm

If it makes anyone feel any better, there's almost someone worse off, somewhere.

Remember it's a land of opportunity and things eventually work out.

And if it makes you feel any better, I've been homeless... more than once. And I've had some very serious tooth problems, too. And it is very, very, very hard to find dental help when one has no money, no matter what "free" services "seem" to be available. And I emphasize "seem". It's not so easy as it seems. It worked out, but was a miserable experience.

I ended up in Vancouver in May '97 after losing most everything I owned and having to declare bankruptcy. In hindsight, it was my own fault for trusting someone when I was under a lot of pressure and against my better judgment... he screwed me. But it was reason to reflect on life and choose a new path and here I am, not much money, but a comfortable apartment and I have possessions again.

And I just got my first credit card after 12 years of not being able to even open a bank account. So try to stay positive and keep an eye out for opportunity and be ready to embrace change. Life, as it says in "The Road Less Traveled" is hard, but sometimes it's fun, too.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby backpacker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Be glad you don't live here in Michigan, unemployment just hit 15.3%, I believe the highest in the nation. I was delivering flowers today and drove through the industrial park, lets just say it's not a very lively place anymore, more like a ghost town with a lot of for sale and lease signs. You can really see all around town the results of what has happened, places you are used to being part of town are closed suddenly, lots of vacant buildings. I don't know what it is like in the rest of the nation because they say there are signs of recovery, but not here, people are really holding onto every penny still. The busiest places here are the grocery stores, gas stations, and the unemployment phone lines.
backpacker

Postby carguy60 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm getting real pissed off that Congress has yet to extend the unemployment benefits. Mine have expired and I'm running out of money fast. These politicians just don't get it! This is our lifeline! There, I've had my rant!
carguy60

Postby Schlodesss » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Mine [EI] ran out a few years ago....

I started working out of my shop at home and was doing a lot of high perf cars, and restoring selling a ton of MX bikes... but about 6 months ago,at least here, at least it crashed... and I am pretty much broke... I was starting to build up an ok little savings and had I been able to keep going for a few years at that rate....? Now, no ones buying anything, and no ones modding cars....

Jeff we have talked in the past so we kinda 'get' eachother... I have to say.. I feel about like you at the moment.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby J » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:26 am

Rico wrote:I know for certain that sometime soon you will find both love, companionship and a comfortable existence. In the meantime, enjoy the friendship you can find right here.

I'm only concerned with a comfortable (or tolerable) existence. And friendship of course. Love and companionship? I couldn't care less about that right now. I like living alone and not having a "commitment". I just want to live at least semi-comfortably. I don't ask for much. Never have. And on top of that, I've had to put a significant percentage of my UI checks toward Klonopin, Valium, Xanax and narcotic painkillers. Yep, I have relapsed. I hate it, but it's all that seems to calm me down and make me happy, or less agitated.
J

Postby butch » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:08 am

J wrote:
Rico wrote:I know for certain that sometime soon you will find both love, companionship and a comfortable existence. In the meantime, enjoy the friendship you can find right here.

I'm only concerned with a comfortable (or tolerable) existence. And friendship of course. Love and companionship? I couldn't care less about that right now. I like living alone and not having a "commitment". I just want to live at least semi-comfortably. I don't ask for much. Never have. And on top of that, I've had to put a significant percentage of my UI checks toward Klonopin, Valium, Xanax and narcotic painkillers. Yep, I have relapsed. I hate it, but it's all that seems to calm me down and make me happy, or less agitated.

I'm not one to talk... I've been a pot addict ($400 a month and that wasn't enough to satisfy my needs but all I had). I'm not smoking now, trying not to anyways, but I have to say that you will not have a life if you allow painkillers into your life.

I hope you can find a way out of it because there is no hope for you if you remain on painkillers. I would suggest NA (narcotics anonymous) but I wouldn't be able to deal with that myself... I don't like being around strangers, no matter how well intentioned and I consider almost everyone to be an idiot, anyways. Also I'm an atheist so the "higher power" thing is a bunch of crap, to me... stuff for morons and the superstitious. Hypnotism might help... that requires a doctor's help. I'm told exercising more makes one less inclined, but that's not an easy thing to embrace, either. The point is, you will never be up for employment with those kinds of addiction needs. I understand the desire to suppress the worldly mess, though.

I don't know the answer. My sister (an ex heroin addict) seems to feel that N.A. is what works for her. She goes to various groups almost daily... 17 years now. In the summer she is in a remote fire lookout where temptation is a helicopter ride away which makes it easier to be clean. Anyhow, she really thinks the N.A. thing works for her. She has managed to complete art school and get a B.A. in fine arts, so it must be working for her. I wish you luck on finding a way out.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby J » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Funny thing is, when I run out of my vicodin/percocet/xanax, I can barely get out of bed. It's when I have them I can be productive, take my insanely long walks, apply for jobs, etc. When I run out, I want to be dead. It's not as bad as say 2-3 years ago when I'd eat 2,000+ percocets a month. I take normal amounts, but from 2 or 3 diffrerent sources (yep I doctor shop). So I have the prescriptions to back them up. I'm certain that if I was gainfully employed, my life would turn a 180, and I could wean off the sh!t (again). Methadone worked before, I know it can work again. All I need is to be gainfully employed. It will take away the awful depression that I'm covering up with opiates and benzodiazepines.
J

Postby butch » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:43 am

J wrote:Funny thing is, when I run out of my vicodin/percocet/xanax, I can barely get out of bed. It's when I have them I can be productive, take my insanely long walks, apply for jobs, etc. When I run out, I want to be dead. It's not as bad as say 2-3 years ago when I'd eat 2,000+ percocets a month. I take normal amounts, but from 2 or 3 diffrerent sources (yep I doctor shop). So I have the prescriptions to back them up. I'm certain that if I was gainfully employed, my life would turn a 180, and I could wean off the sh!t (again). Methadone worked before, I know it can work again. All I need is to be gainfully employed. It will take away the awful depression that I'm covering up with opiates and benzodiazepines.

It's true that if you had a job you would feel more secure and, perhaps, happier. But, let me be clear, if you want to make excuses for yourself and your life then you aren't in control of your own life. All the could have been, should have been, might have been things will never happen. You will end up just like the folk who live at Main and Hastings in our Vancouver. They shoot up right in the street and no one really gives a damn about them because they don't really give a damn about themselves.

If you have half a brain in your head you will realize that all your fantasies about being happier with the pills are really no more than a fast track to a really miserable life, in the end. If you won't do the hard work to change your life, no one is going to do it for you. And why should they? Other people have enough problems of their own, they don't need your problems, too.

I guess what I'm saying is I have no sympathy for someone if they won't make the hard choices that are necessary to keep on keeping on. You know in your own head that your path is one of destruction, so I guess that is the path you choose to take. And if you expect anyone to feel sorry for you for doing that... well, they won't, and they don't.

Life is hard and you are emotionally sick but it's still up to you to seek help where you think you can find it and, from all you say, you're an addict and nothing will change until you admit it, and try to change. If you are happy with things the way they are, then keep doing what you are doing. When you get tired of it, maybe you will make the hard choices that will be necessary.

Me, I'm 65 years old. I hurt every day. I take over the counter pain killers in the morning, but I'm not about to take the morphine that would likely be more effective because I don't want a drug to take over my life and emotions. I never considered pot to be controlling my life, even if it was, to some extent. I would rather have it but I realize I can't afford it and it was actually causing some of my health problems. But I'm 65 and haven't that much time left in my life. You have a life ahead of you if you want it, or you can choose to die young. It's up to you and other people really don't care, so if you want their sympathy, you are only being selfish.

You need to be in a situation where you can express your day to day pain with others who share your pain, and it seems to me that is only going to occur in a situation like NA. Otherwise you will just have to try to deal with it on your own and I don't see that going anywhere, from what you have said.

You want some sympathy, but you need to earn it.

I strongly recommend reading the book "The Road Less Traveled" by Scott Peck. You can find it in the library.

Drugs are a very powerful enemy to beat. You are kidding yourself if you think you will remain employed while doing painkillers. It will be a battle you will have to engage in for the rest of your life so I can only wish you good luck.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:24 am

Yeah sounds like you need to detox and go on prozac or something. Everybody wants a painless life but there is no such thing.

If you don't feel pain, you don't feel anything. My brother numbed himself with booze for 30 years and now he's dying of cancer.

But it's your life. We can't live it for you. There are no spankings in real life. Just consequences.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:07 am

Ummmm..... yeah, what they BOTH said............. no, seriously...............
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby nimby » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 am

Earl Butz wrote:But it's your life. We can't live it for you. There are no spankings in real life. Just consequences.

Dead on,
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby J » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Didn't anyone read the title of this thread? For whiners only. Looks like I'm whining. Chastize me in a non-whiner thread.

And I NEVER shoot up. Never have.
J

Postby butch » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:18 am

J wrote:Didn't anyone read the title of this thread? For whiners only. Looks like I'm whining. Chastize me in a non-whiner thread.

And I NEVER shoot up. Never have.

I'm not chastising you in my comments, or not intending to.

If what you have mentioned is true (the dependence or use of so many prescription drugs) it matters not that you "don't shoot up". If you think what I'm saying to you is chastising, then so be it.

If what you have said is true (taking a lot of very serious drugs) then, judging by your reply (above), you are in denial. That is to be expected. So consider it all (what I and others have said) some kind of intervention from folks you've never met in person, but reaction from people (such as me) who have no vested interest in your life, at all, and are, therefore, not vested with any motive of any kind for, or against, your lifestyle.

I think it would be a disservice not to react to what you have said and I feel no guilt nor remorse for saying, to you, what I have. You are in denial of a life threatening situation, in my opinion.

I hope you attempt to help yourself because no one but you can really change your destructive, uhm, habit. Not the best word, perhaps but, somehow, fitting.

Nothing you do is going to alter my life in any way, so it really matters not a wit to me what you do with your life. I hope, however, you will turn it over in your mind and make choices that are healthy for your life.

I wish you all the best, but I can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Well, perhaps if you were within arm's reach, but I'm not the type to force people into anything they don't want.

Anyhow, my point is that pain killers can kill a lot more than pain. Good luck.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Internal Affairs