LGBTQ

There's a lot of discussions about "internalized homophobia" going on here. Talk about racism, prejudice, religion, and all that's on your mind. Now you have a new place to gab.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, edu999

LGBTQ

Postby chidiver » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:54 pm

I decided to return to school part time to work on my masters and receive all of the "what's happening around campus" emails. I received one today from the gay club thingy and they referred to themselves as LGBTQ. I could figure out the first four letters, but the "Q" befuddled me. I looked it up and determined that it stood for "questioning." Am I completely out of the loop, or is this a recent addition?
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby foxeyes2 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:15 pm

it is a relatively new addition as far as I know. Of course I am not young and hip like I use to be.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby furface » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Sometimes also used for queer. A number of old timers refuse to use the 'gay' appellation and identify as 'queer', as do some bis and transgenders. As for questioning ; that's fairly new to the mix and an attempt by some groups to be more inclusive.

As for being out of the loop.... We all are more often than we like to admit. :wink:
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Re: LGBTQ

Postby jkav » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 pm

I always thought that "questioning" = "gay"

It's not that way anymore.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:19 am

Always thought the all-capped acronym thing was a little goofy, frankly.

Don't remember the specific configuration, but at some point in the early eighties, it was being pronounced "lez-bee-gay-ter." Sounded like a mythical beast of some kind.
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby Cachasa » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:Always thought the all-capped acronym thing was a little goofy, frankly.

Don't remember the specific configuration, but at some point in the early eighties, it was being pronounced "lez-bee-gay-ter." Sounded like a mythical beast of some kind.

Not mention that it sounds really gay! lol

The "Q" usually means "queer" in my experience. I think its for people who don't necessarily want to labeled as "gay". Weird seeing how queer is a label too... hmmmm....well whatever to each their own.

I've also heard the "Q" be used for "questioning" too. That's usually for youth oriented groups. Some kid first coming out of the closet might not really be ready to jump in to the community. So, this helps to ease them in.
Cachasa

Postby scguy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Cachasa wrote:I've also heard the "Q" be used for "questioning" too. That's usually for youth oriented groups. Some kid first coming out of the closet might not really be ready to jump in to the community. So, this helps to ease them in.

Hmmmm......I always thought the "Bi" was for those confused lads that don't want to admit to being gay yet. Personally I'd rather be gay than queer....I've always disliked that word.....it just sounds.....so......odd. :lol:
scguy

How to order

Postby abcd680 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:01 am

On Ugamegold or other website to order wow gold, click "Checkout" when you're ready to place your wow gold order. now put your current local time in Comments for instant wow gold delivery. It is very IMPORTANT to provide your VALID EMAIL and keep it working till the wow gold delivery is completed so that your could be informed for delivery details.
abcd680

Postby nimby » Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 am

scguy wrote:
Hmmmm......I always thought the "Bi" was for those confused lads that don't want to admit to being gay yet. Personally I'd rather be gay than queer....I've always disliked that word.....it just sounds.....so......odd. :lol:

Not too long ago people thought gays were just confused too. Why does everything have to be black or white. Why one or the other? Why not both? And why not accept them (us) too?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Internal Affairs