Caffeine addiction

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Caffeine addiction

Postby MrGreen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 am

This is my first post here. Hoping someone could give good advice on breaking addiction on caffeine.
I use it mostly in overcoming procrastination. I have tried eating healthy but it does not seem to work. I think the problem is really that I use it to medicate the procrastination problem. I used to think I am just lazy but when I get into it I really work hard. When I don’t take high doses of caffeine I simply can’t seem to function - it really is hell. Has somebody gone throught the same thing.
MrGreen

Re: Caffeine addiction

Postby nimby » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Hiya and welcome!! I'm one of those folks where caffeine has little effect on me. I can have a coffee before bed and no problem, so, sorry, I wish I had some advice for ya. Is it really that bad? I've read that up to 400 ml/day is normal for the average adult. Are you way above that?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby doctor dan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Me! I used to drink 2-3 pots of very strong coffee every day. Sometimes more. People in the office down the hall I had to pass on the way to the restroom would make fun of me. When I went on vacation one week, I suffered strong headaches the first couple days. I realized that it was caffeine withdrawal. When I returned home, I eventually dialed down the amount of coffee gradually over a few weeks. Since then (several years ago), I have one albeit huge mug of coffee in the morning. I sometimes have a second cup or a shot of espresso at work, just to be social. It's a powerful addition, with real negative health effects as you age. But if you want to kick it, do so consciously and give yourself a few weeks to do it.
doctor dan

Postby olywaguy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:26 am

My caffeine intake is via soda. However, a long time ago I replaced with non-caffeine soda like Sprite, 7-Up and root beer.

I remember losing a lot of weight when I stopped drinking caffeinated drinks.

The only other way I get caffeine is via tea.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby MrGreen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:01 am

Thank you all for your kind words. It is the encouragement that I need.
MrGreen

Postby sean304 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Hello Mr. Green,

With anything, moderation is key (including moderation, as the saying goes). Weaning yourself off it may be the way to go. Maybe not drinking caffeine in your favorite places to drink it. When I was quitting smoking I would forgo my habit in the car or while talking on the phone, my favorite places to smoke. But the hardest thing to give up was a cigarette with coffee. Good luck to you!
Sean
P.S. Lorne is awesome!
sean304

Postby MrGreen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:13 am

Yes, Lorne was my favorite Buffy character when I used to watch it. He seems mischievous and kind of sexy for a daemon.
MrGreen

Postby matinee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:25 am

Start mixing in decaf. Every few days just use more decaf. Worked like a charm here.
matinee

Return to Health & Lifestyles