Effects of Penis Size on Men who have Sex with other Men

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Effects of Penis Size on Men who have Sex with other Men

Postby olywaguy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:51 am

This article appeared recently in the June 2010 issue of the Archives of Sexual Behavior.

NIH-Backed Study Examined Effects of Penis Size in Gay Community

By Judson Berger

Published July 18, 2011

The federal government helped fund a study that examined what effect a gay man's penis size has on his sex life and general well-being.

The study was among several backed by the National Institutes of Health that have come under scrutiny from a group claiming the agency is wasting valuable tax dollars at a time when the country is trying to control its debt. This particular research resulted in a 2009 report titled,[url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874247/] "The Association Between Penis Size and Sexual Health Among Men Who Have Sex with Men."
[/url]
The study reported, among its findings, that gay men with "below average penises" were more likely to assume a "bottom" sexual position, while those with "above average penises" were more likely to assume a "top" sexual position. Those with average penises identified themselves as "versatile" in the bedroom.

Though it's difficult to trace exactly how much federal funding went to the project, the study was one of many linked to an $899,769 grant in 2006. The grant was administered by NIH's National Institute on Drug Abuse, and went first to a group called Public Health Solutions and a researcher with the National Development and Research Institutes before going to individual researchers.

Those researchers then compiled data from a survey of more than 1,000 gay and bisexual men at events in New York City for the gay community.

"This country is broke and we cannot spend money on this kind of stuff," said Andrea Lafferty, president of the Traditional Values Coalition, which drew attention to the report as part of a six-month investigation into NIH grants for examples of "institutional waste."

"We're spending money on wacky stuff," Lafferty said.

But one of the researchers involved with the report told FoxNews.com that NIH funding was only used to help "analyze and write up" data that had already been collected without the use of taxpayer funds.

"The data were not collected using taxpayer funds," Jeffrey Parsons, a professor with Hunter College, said in an email. "NIH funds were not used to measure anyone's penis size."

"This study was funded by the Hunter College Center for HIV/AIDS Education Studies and Training," the National Institutes of Health said. "Dr. Christian Grov was supported as a postdoctoral research fellow at the time the research was conducted by a National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)-funded training grant."

Parsons took issue with Lafferty's description of the grant.

A Traditional Values Coalition release stated that at least $9.4 million went to a 10-year study that included the penis-size research -- but Parsons said it appears that references a much broader "post-doctoral training program" of which the penis-study funding was a "small" part.

Other studies stemming from the same 2006 grant examined topics ranging from the drug market in Houston following Hurricane Katrina to the connection between contraceptives and STD prevention in Madagascar.

"To suggest that 9.4 million dollars was spent to study penis sizes is factually inaccurate and simply designed to create news," Parsons wrote.

The study, which last year was published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior, claimed there previously had been "little research among men who have sex with men assessing the association between penis size and socio-sexual health."

The study found that men with larger penises were more likely to contract certain sexually transmitted diseases. It also found that men with above-average penises enjoyed more satisfaction with their lifestyle.

The original survey had a relatively high response rate -- with 83 percent of those approached agreeing to participate. "As an incentive, those who completed the survey were given a voucher for free admission to a movie," the study said.

Lafferty's group drew attention to several other studies Monday that it claimed were "bizarre" in the current fiscal climate. Among them was one that asked individuals to "mail in their toenails" to measure "toenail nicotine," according to the values coalition.

"The president has said he's going to hunt down waste. Well, I'm going to give it to him on a platter," Lafferty said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07 ... z1SiXWkv3M

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: Effects of Penis Size on Men who have Sex with other Men

Postby nimby » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Interesting article. I think we need some member opinions too to check the accuracy of the article. :lol:

I'm average and...
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:19 pm

I wanted to create a poll, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that here any more.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby furface » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:51 pm

You never could create a poll within an existing topic/thread. You can still create a poll as the anchor post of a new topic/thread.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Kori » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:26 am

"It also found that men with above-average penises enjoyed more satisfaction with their lifestyle." Well, what does that mean? Sexual lifestyle? Lifestyle in general? I get really frustrated when articles don't give operational definitions for terminology linked to studies, arguments, or research.

I can see why people are frustrated with the study; it seems like an unimportant issue (and I will concede that it certainly isn't a timely event), but "useless" studies such as these often lead way to excellent advances in cognitive therapy and counselling.

I question the validity and staff of the study heavily, though. After sitting back and reading it, I found many absent conventions and interesting choice of adjectives throughout the notes.

"They found even though 66% of men rated their penis size as average, 46% of these same men desired a larger penis and 45% of all men desired a larger penis."
I'm surprised the number is less than 50%.
Kori

Postby sidaga » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:57 am

I can speak for gay men, we do not consider the size of penis of our partners just like the straight couples do. Hence gay men do not have SPS (small penis syndrome) and they are more happier than straight people. I think government should not spent that much money on this kind of survey.
sidaga

Postby nimby » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:05 pm

It's been my experience that guys with large dicks are lazy lovers. They figure because they bring superior equipment, the other has to do all the work. That gets boring very fast. No thanks, I'll take average every day of the week.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 am

Why do most gay men ask if you have a big cock as a prerequisite to even talking to you? There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.
Carlos

olywaguy

Return to Health & Lifestyles