Children?

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Children?

Postby nimby » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Got any? Want some one day? Tonight I watched a great documentary on gay men and the desire for fatherhood. It was very interesting on how some gay men get the families they always wanted. In Toronto it is so common to see gay couples with children that even the city is encouraging gays to become foster parents and/or adopt. Is it elsewhere? Would you consider it? I ask because I get so much joy from being a parent that I wonder if other queer guys woud too. I'm realizing that my oldest daughter is becomming my new best friend. She is 13 and tonight I took her dress shopping for an end of year school dance. We have such fun together whereas my wife doesn't have the patience.

Did I tell ya'll about the time I got tricked into taking her shopping for her first bra? Oh boy! That was a mess. There we are at Old Navy perusing the training bras when all of a sudden there is this woman staring at us. "Mike?" she says. Turns out it was an old friend from primary school. How the hell she recognised me, I don't have a clue, but she said I barely changed. Hmmm, don't know about that one. So there I am, hands full of bras with a very young girl at my side. :oops: I explained that one real quick. But none the less, it was fun and I'm glad that my daughter wanted me to take her. It was a moment that she'll always remember. And that's what it's all about, the memories. I hope you don't mind if I share some of these moments with you. There are lots, and the best part is I have another daughter comming up the ranks too. Oh good times!!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Re: Children?

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:10 am

Geez I'm way too lazy. I can barely look after myself some days. If it was a boy, and you spotted me the first 10 years I would consider it. :P

I don't know how my mom handled 4 of us. It must have been tiring. And she didn't even learn how to drive until I was in grade 4. By that time, the other three were all grown up. :shock:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby doctor dan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:13 am

We got a newborn last July. Our daughter will be one year old on 5 July. The most transformative experience of my life.
Last edited by doctor dan on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doctor dan

Postby nimby » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:59 am

Awesome!!!!! Congradulations. We can learn so much from our kids. Learn lots and enjoy.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:08 am

When I was younger I always dreamed about having kids and a family. When I accepted my life as a gay man all of that pretty much went out the window. It just seemed like a fantasy that would never happen. I still kinda feel that way even though it is possible to have a child. I've had friends that are girls tell me that If I wanted one they would definitely carry it for me.

My sister has a baby and seeing him made me want a kid. He looks just like my sister and I, so it gave me the feelings of having my very own son. It would be nice and I would like it when the times right, but I still don't see it happening.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:13 pm

I was at Chapters today and came accross a book that surprised me. It LOOKS like a children's book and was right in plain view and within easy reach of children, and called a children's book right on the back cover, but I bloody well hope not. Now I know perfectly well the grief of having a child who will not sleep, but I thought this was a little much.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/ma ... -sleep-hit
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby MillerConnie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:36 am

I think I am not responsible enough to have children yet. Sometimes I feel that I am a kid myself. May be later...
MillerConnie

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:01 am

Never had a desire to have kids...I like visiting my neices and nephews ~ buying them noisy toys (with extra batteries)...and getting them hyped up on sugar & letting them run wild...then leaving them with their parents... :lol:
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Return to Health & Lifestyles