A Difficult Conversation

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

A Difficult Conversation

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed May 04, 2011 9:28 pm

So, there I was in my office last week, when a couple of employees asked for an audience before I had my 3rd cup of coffee ~ never a good sign...They wanted to complain about a co-worker...Long story short, the co-worker "stinks" ~ and I'm not talking about his work ethic or competency ~ he's very friendly, knows his stuff and is a great worker...the age old problem of BODY ODOR...They can't stand to be around him & didn't know how to approach him...His BO was impacting the workplace & they wanted something done about it (i.e. ME). They've been wrestling with this conundrum for the past couple of weeks...new guy ~ they like him, but didn't know how to approach him...

I've had to deal with this type of situation before ~ never easy, but has to be done & I've always had the best results by attacking the problem head-on ~ no mincing of words ~ direct, but sensitive to feelings. I called the employee into my office and after some "how are things going?" small talk, & without revealing the source of information, I basically told him that he had an extremely bad case of BO and that he needed to take care of it immediately; shower regularly, use deoderant & make sure his clothes were clean...Direct & to the point...He took it well and, as expected, didn't realize he had a BO problem. Problem solved...employees are happy, BO guy is BO free and my 3rd cup of coffee today went down smoothly without interruption...

I've also had to have the female type conversation; "you-dress-like-a-floosy-and-look-like-a-whore"...which is even more difficult than the BO type conversation...

So, a long intro to the question: WHAT'S THE MOST DIFFICULT CONVERSATION YOU'VE HAD TO HAVE WITH A FRIEND, CO-WORKER, SIGNIFICANT OTHER?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: A Difficult Conversation

Postby DeckApe » Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 am

I was a trainer for a couple of years, and conditions were such that we were overnighting on our shifts. So in the "routine duties" portion where I was the trainer, I would have a group of 8 or 10 new-hires... at some point, I turned away from them, faced the wall and said, "I'm facing away from you at this point because when I am looking at the group for this topic everyone thinks I am looking at them. So, I shall now be blunt. Our facilities are equipped with showers. If you are staying overnight, please come equipped to use them. This includes bringing any necessary towels, soaps, shampoos, and changes of clothing."

Thankfully, I have not yet had to have The Conversation while making specific eye contact.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Re: A Difficult Conversation

Postby nimby » Fri May 06, 2011 9:56 pm

I had to discuss with my daughter the proper disposal techniques of her feminine hygene products. :shock:
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Health & Lifestyles