Which direction do you sleep in?

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Which direction do you sleep in?

Postby nimby » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 pm

I found this interesting article about what direction you sleep in and how it can affect you. I figure I'm going to try it. What do I have to loose? And I need sleep. I haven't had a decent sleep in months. Enjoy.

While sleeping, head should face which direction ? Which direction you sleep? Do you know the consequences?

The direction your head faces while sleeping has a strong effect on your physical and mental well-being. Head placement refers to the direction the top of your head points when lying down.

Art of Sleeping

We are advised to avoid sleeping with our head to the north or west.

We all know that our planet has a magnetic pole stretched from north to south with the positive pole at the north and the negative pole at the south. Now, health scientists tell us that we too have a similar magnetic stretch with the positive pole at the head and the negative one at the feet.

It is common knowledge that like poles repel and unlike poles attract not only scientific but also in social spheres. When we lay our heads on the north side, the two positive sides repel each other and there is a struggle between the two.

Since the earth has a greater magnetic force, we are always the losers, and rise in the morning with headache or heaviness.

Additional Details:

But when we lay our heads in the southern direction, there is mutual attraction and we wake up fit, fresh and free, unless afflicted by some illness.

We also know that our planet revolves itself from west to east, and sun's magnetic field enters earth from east side. This magnetic force enters our head if we lie with head on the east and exits through feet, promoting cool heads and warm feet as per the laws of magnetism and electricity. When the head is laid towards the west, cool feet and hot head -- result -- an unpleasant start for morning.

Now we may realize why the ancient people said, that our intellect improves by east facing head or house, and life lengthens with the head facing south.

North brings disease and west dulls the brain. They gave us a few more healing hints for a healthy sleep. Never lie on one side for long. Keep changing.

Conclusion:

Head to East

Benefits: Auspicious. Always make sure you put your head in the East direction as much as possible.

Avoid daytime sleep. Let the night food be light and early. Drink milk with honey.

Avoid reading serious or sensual literature straining the nerves. Repeat a few mantras to relax your mind before you sleep.

Head to South
Benefits: Auspicious. The best position for sleeping is with the top of your head pointing to the south and feet pointing north.

Head to North or West
Results: Dangerous. Never sleep with the top of your head pointing to the north and feet pointing to the south. Brings terrible dreams and disturbed sleep. You will feel miserable. Irritability, frustration and emotional instability will develop. It sucks your positive vibrations while you sleep. You will lose 50% of your willpower and your soul power will not increase while you sleep. Your physical and mental health will suffer.

----------------------------
With warm regards
Prathap Mathiyalagan

http://pradhap87.blogspot.com/2010/10/w ... which.html
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Re: Which direction do you sleep in?

Postby catapult » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18 am

I've been heading east for sleep for many years. Learned it as an Ayurvedic tip.

Your house should have an east or north entrance also. Very important for good health and good fortune.

GL
catapult

Postby glas_scot » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:50 am

Sorry Michael, but this article is bullsh!t. Everything said is very bad science.

There's a lot of wannabe Scientists out there with very little (or no) science knowledge. Money, money money is on there mind.
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:44 am

Yay I always point my head south, toes north! :mrgreen:

But yeah I'm with Scottie....it all sounds like rubbish to me.... :?
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:41 am

As for a more "permanent" type of sleep, here's a snippet from RoadsideAmerica.com:

St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery is oriented the wrong way -- not east-west as is supposedly every other consecrated Christian boneyard. The mistake was noticed after the point of no return -- too many people had already been buried (though these are above-ground crypts, but whatever...). They left it as is, and now it's one of two reasons to visit Rayne, LA.

Has something to do with the rapture, which will of course come from the East........
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby nimby » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 am

Well, it doesn't cost me anything to re-arrange my bedroom furniture, so I think I'll give it a try anyway. One thing I know is that modern science isn't always right. It's motivated by money as much as anything else. Sometimes the older ways are the best. Getting back in touch with the Earth and her natural ways is never a bad thing. :D I'll Let ya'll know how it goes.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby J » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:04 pm

My bed is at the north side of the house and my head is on the east side of the bed. I guess that makes me a northeast sleeper? Doesn't seem to have any effect on my sleep patterns (which are always poor no matter which direction I attempt to sleep in).
J

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:33 pm

I toss&turn so much in my sleep I bet my head ends up facing every direction at some point during the night.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby catapult » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Tossing and turning is actually good as the body is doing some sort of rebalancing. Unless you're not getting back to sleep as a result.
catapult

Postby Rico » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 am

My head is to the south only because that's the way the king bed best fits the shape of the bedroom. In my last house my head was to the south too. But I'm certainly not one to ask about comfortable sleeping directions. Sleep has never been a problem for me. I've can have restful naps/sleeps standing or sitting.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby matinee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:16 am

Recently rearranged my bedroom, head is pointing North. I have never slept better or worse no matter which way what. This is complete BS in my book.
matinee

Postby furface » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:41 am

Over the years my cranial orientation would box a compass. That said I have always slept like a log and Chris says I'm dead to the world within minutes of hitting the pillow (sometimes sooner :wink:).

The only orientation that I require is near horizontal. But if corporeal fung shui works for you, so be it.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby catapult » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:05 am

The direction your head faces while sleeping has a strong effect on your physical and mental well-being. Head placement refers to the direction the top of your head points when lying down. Art of Sleeping

We are advised to avoid sleeping with our head to the north or west.

We all know that our planet has a magnetic pole stretched from north to south with the positive pole at the north and the negative pole at the south. Now, health scientists tell us that we too have a similar magnetic stretch with the positive pole at the head and the negative one at the feet.

It is common knowledge that like poles repel and unlike poles attract not only scientific but also in social spheres. When we lay our heads on the north side, the two positive sides repel each other and there is a struggle between the two.

Since the earth has a greater magnetic force, we are always the losers, and rise in the morning with headache or heaviness.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_expert ... z1JtJOTjP3
catapult

Postby catapult » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:05 am

Sthapatya Veda design predicts that our health is affected by the orientation we take when we are sleeping. Specifically, it predicts that it is healthiest for us to sleep with our heads pointed to the east and most unhealthy to sleep with our heads to the north.

This hypothesis has been examined by Veronica Butler, M.D., a rural Iowa physician, who discovered via a survey of her patients that those who sleep in north-facing beds suffer from significantly more depression and anxiety than do those who sleep in beds without this orientation. In her study, she found the head direction correlated with mental health. She reported that planned comparisons [based on the ANOVA, a standard statistical analysis procedure] with direction of sleep as the grouping variable revealed that those individuals sleeping with their head pointing north had significantly lower scores on the Mental Health Inventory compared to patients who slept in other directions. Thus, there is initial concrete evidence in support of Maharishi Sthapatya Veda design’s predicted effect of our sleeping orientation on mind-body health.

This human work is consistent with some unpublished pilot animal data from Ohio State University looking at sleep orientation and behavior (Sharma, et. al., Dept of Pathology, unpublished results). Laboratory rats were placed in narrow cages, so that the direction in which they slept could be controlled. Half of the animals were made to sleep with their heads to the east, and half of them with heads to the north. In the morning it was found that the animals that had been made to sleep with their heads to the north had elevated levels of stress hormones (including cortisone) in their bloodstream. Animals made to sleep with head to the east had reduced levels of stress hormones in their bloodstream.

In addition, the animals that were made to sleep with their head to the north then displayed aggressive and anti-social behavior as noted by their increased tendency to fight with each other. Such behavior is as might be expected if their stress hormones were elevated. Conversely, the animals that were made to sleep with their head to the east displayed more peaceful behavior.
catapult

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm a toss'er and turner.....I may start off sleeping north to south....but I'll end up east to west....No wonder my back's been killing me.......
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 am

Guinness Fan wrote:I'm a toss'er .......

Sorry, you lost me after that. :D
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm

catapult wrote:Tossing and turning is actually good as the body is doing some sort of rebalancing. Unless you're not getting back to sleep as a result.

That's pretty interesting. Its never kept me up at night but I've heard that I can be a pain to sleep in the room with because of it. Roommates have told me that I moved so much it would keep them awake. I doubt I would be a pleasant person to share a room or bed with anyway. Apparently my snoring is terrible, I've been known to sleepwalk and I know I'm a wild sleeper.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Return to Health & Lifestyles