Bald.. to be or not to be? Did it and I love it

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Bald.. to be or not to be? Did it and I love it

Postby sailor61 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Ok guys, I've been away for awhile but am back - complete with new avatar pic.

My hair has been thinning since my mid 30s and, yes, it was bothering me a bit. More than the fact it was going what got to me was attempting to keep it neat and presentable, as such it gradually got shorter over time.

Eventually got to the point of useing the clippers I use for my dog to just buzz it off at about 1/4 inch or so.(the gaurd on my beard trimmer was not reliable enough when working on the back etc) Kept thinking about it and thinking there had to be a better solution to this. The thought of just shaving it crossed my mind more than a few times. But, for some bizarre reason, I got caught up in the "what will people think?" bit and I never went through with it.

Recently came across a few spots onmy scalp that needed to be removed and when I saw the doc prior to the excision she mentioed that she was going to need to shave a section around the spots. At that moment having crop circles on my head was hte least of my concerns but later that day, and in an attempt to avoid delaing with what was really goin on,it became a bigger issue for me. Then I realized it's a lemon/lemonade thing - this was the perfect time for me to try what I knew needed to be tried - a complete head shave.

I did it a week ago and I'm really happy wiht the change. My hair is no longer thinning - it's gone. It's my choice and not the result of some random hand of the genetics card deck that I can't control. I'm still experimenting with the process and such bubt so far Headblade stuff (http://www.headblade.com) seems to be the way to go.

Maybe it's the fact that I'll be 50 in May or the fact that it has been a bear of a winter here in NE but I needed to change some things up.

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject to share/discuss?

Oh yeah, got a PA recently too. Getting it wasn't too bad though the healing period has an occasional discomfort. :roll:
TJ
sailor61

Re: Bald.. to be or not to be? Did it and I love it

Postby furface » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:47 pm

TJ: Welcome back, ole son!!

Been using the HeadBlade rig for several years now. Works like a champ once't ya get the hang of which way your hair grows and where the phrenologist's points of interest are. :wink:

I started shavin' the skull cause I got tired of paying full price for less than ½-a-head of hair. Had it all buzzed down and bought me a HeadBlade. I likes it and the husbear is right fond of rubbin' my big head as well as the l'iller one. :wink: :wink:

One thing to remember; don't forget to rub some sun screen on the dome. Ya really don't want a sunburn up there. Trust me on that one. I s'pect y'all figger out the other thing - patience is a virtue when scrapin' the dome. Ya don't need to be puttin' bits of TP on your head to stanch the bleeding from an over aggressive shave. It just looks tacky.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby nimby » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:36 pm

The head looks good. You've got the right shape for it.

I had to google PA. :oops: All I can say is OUCH!!!!!!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby sailor61 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Yup - ouch when the needle went through - no doubt about it. And a few YELPS when it has snagged on clothing duriing the healing process. BUT it has made other things much more pleasurable, maybe it's all in my larger head but the smaller is much more sensitive. Oh , and fo rsome reason, the volume ....!!!!! Very happy with it and do feel the healing time has been worth it. :oops:
TJ
sailor61

Postby Keeper » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:12 am

I think bald is attractive. I'm not so much into 'balding' though. So if your losin it, let it go.
Keeper

Postby Phoenix6570 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:27 pm

^ I'm with you, I think Bald guys are hot.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Return to Health & Lifestyles