Breaking bad habits

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Breaking bad habits

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Recently I've started to make various changes in my lifestyle. I've started working out again, drinking more water and i'm trying to improve my posture. These changes have been easy to make and keeping up with them shouldn't be too difficult. But I still carry some unhealthy tendencies that are difficult to break. The worst one is my habit of night eating. I usually take in the most calories at night shortly before I go to sleep. I know this is terrible, but I've been in this habit for quite some time now. ( well over a year) I think it started when I was in college and its carried over since then.

I really want to nip this in the bud since its awful health wise and I know its going to impede my weight lose. Its just difficult trying to change this. I was thinking the best way to change this is to start off with one day of no night eating and gradually progress to an entire week. Any thoughts on a good way to break this bad habit or bad habits in general?
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Re: Breaking bad habits

Postby Rico » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:04 pm

It's great you're trying to make this change and my answer to your question might at first sound flippant but it's not. Go to bed earlier! After all you can't eat while you're sleeping. What time do you get up in the morning? Whatever it is, change it and get up so early than you're ready for bed by 9 or 10. Also, eat bigger meals earlier in the day so you're not so hungry in the evening. I don't always follow that rule myself but I try to anyway and usually do.

Finally, if you must eat late at night before you go to bed....eat the right things. Try a big bowl of whole-grain cereal and non-fat milk. Toss some fruit in if you want. It will fill you up and satisfy the craving, plus it will help you sleep. Good luck!
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Xpat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:28 pm

As trite as it sounds this really does make sense: "Eat breakfast like a prince, lunch like a king, dinner like a pauper." If you do this for about a week or so, you will find you're not really craving much at night before going to bed. Plus, your two biggest meals will have had time to digest before you go to bed. Now, if I could only practice what I preach....lol.
Xpat

Postby nimby » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Um, I don't see how what time you go to sleep helps, but hey give it a try. 9-10 p.m...? Anyway, have your carbs in the morning and afternoon. For dinner have protien and vegtables. Carbs make you hungrier, sooner, and check the GI of your carbs too. The higher the GI number of the carb, the more rapid the food gets absorbed. You want sustenance. The protien will sustain through the evening and night. And try not to drink eccessively in the evenings. Alcohol is just empty calories that convert to glucose in your system and will be stored as fat.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:57 pm

My nutritionist told me that your biggest meals should be breakfast and lunch because you need the energy to get you through the day. Your lightest meal of the day should be at night. So, eat fruits and vegetables and such if you feel hungry at night.

Also, the most important thing is exercise such as 30 minutes of walking a day, or biking, etc.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys I'll look into what everyone had to say. I think part pf my problem is I'm up so late; lately my bedtime has been past 3 am. This is something I need to change so I'm definitely going to work at it. I think I have enough good advice to help me ease into this. Thanks again :)
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:59 am

Phoenix6570 wrote:Thanks for all the tips guys I'll look into what everyone had to say. I think part pf my problem is I'm up so late; lately my bedtime has been past 3 am. This is something I need to change so I'm definitely going to work at it. I think I have enough good advice to help me ease into this. Thanks again :)

Ok, I take back what I said earlier and have to agree with Rico. GO TO BED EARLIER !!!
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:17 pm

nimby wrote:Ok, I take back what I said earlier and have to agree with Rico. GO TO BED EARLIER !!!

I knew you misunderstood me about going to bed earlier, but I didn't say anything. Certainly what time one goes to bed doesn't do anything physiologically to help one lose weight. It's just that it absolutely limits the opportunity to eat.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 pm

You just like any excuse to hit the sheets early. :D One can get lots of excercise going to bed, depending on when they actually fall asleep, but you know that too. :wink:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 am

Hypnotherapy works wonders for helping on change habits and behaviors. After all it works with our powerful brain the subconscious. This is were our operating selves comes from.
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 pm

I am seriously considering hypnotherapy to help me quit smoking. Any advice?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 pm

I tried hypnotherapy to quit smoking once. It didn't help. At all.

In the end what did it for me was Wellbutrin.
edu999

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:13 pm

^^^^^^ Any side effects from using Wellbutrin? I've seen the TV commercials for Chantix as a quit-smoking aid, but the side effects (wierd dreams, sleep walking, thoughts of throwing yourself off a tall building or under a train) are a bit scary......
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:36 am

Well... no getting drunk (or even buzzed) while you're on Wellbutrin, otherwise you greatly increase your chances of having a seizure. One glass of wine is ok, but nothing more than that. You're supposed to take Wellbutrin for at least 6 weeks, so basically no boozing for about 7 weeks at least. I personally didn't feel any side-effects, other than being highly irritable for the first 3 or 4 days of taking it. Some people experience insomnia, but I didn't.

My co-worker tried Chantix but stopped pretty quickly, because he felt he was going insane. lol
edu999

Postby Daknee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:55 am

edu999 wrote:I tried hypnotherapy to quit smoking once. It didn't help. At all.

In the end what did it for me was Wellbutrin.

Being a hypnotheripist I will try to addresss this.
1 the statistics for hypnosis success are fairly large that is why one can often find them in huge group sessions.
However this may not be ideal for some who may need 1 on 1 sessons, which could be for a number of reasons.
2 the relationsship with the therapist is important. How comfortable is one with the person working with you?
3 a correct understanding one can not be made to do anything against their will or moral standards. Many like to be in control
if they feel they have to give up any control they many not have success in a group situaton. ( this may be a caditate for a 1 on 1)
Daknee

Postby edu999 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:50 pm

I did use 1-on-1 sessions. Didn't even try group.
edu999

Postby Daknee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 am

edu999 wrote:I did use 1-on-1 sessions. Didn't even try group.

Edu999 I'm not sure about the other two point I made. You didn't comment on them But I suppose the good thing is you found something that worked for you.
Daknee

Postby Daknee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 am

nimby wrote:I am seriously considering hypnotherapy to help me quit smoking. Any advice?

Nimby I would try a one on one session with a hypotherapist with fomal education behind them. In many areas a person can practice hypnotheray with only the hypnosis training behind them. Not to say these are all bad but many do not have the counseling training to make for a successful session. The success rate with hypnotherapy is good and natural. I would be cautious of any one giving a 100% guarnatee or being able to do it in one session. Nothing in life is 100% and although many can stop in one session, many may need up to six sessions. I get upset with those in the industry who tought hynosis as a "magic" cure. Although it does work and works rather quickly it is a therapy and not a magic cure.

Good luck nimby with your goal to stop smoking. You can contact me if you have any questions.
Daknee

Postby Phoenix6570 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Its taken me a while to actually do it but I've gone through the last two nights without eating extremely late at night before going to bed :D . First night was really hard mainly due to the mental factor. At first I felt hungry and wanted to eat, but I think I was so used to it my body/ mind were expecting me to. All that was going through my mind was I want to eat but I managed to keep myself away from the fridge. Last night wasn't to bad cravings were still there, but not as bad as the night before.

Now that I've actually done it I don't think this will be much of an issue for me anymore. I'm sure occasional splurge will happen but as long as it isn't a daily routine I'll be satisfied.
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:12 pm

And eat your protiens and veggies at your evening meal, not carbs. Tey will sustain you much better through the night without hunger pangs.
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Health & Lifestyles