Mattresses

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Mattresses

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Talk about a mundane topic, but I'm in the market for a new mattress (talk about an oddly spelled word). The one I've got is approaching the 20 year mark and I'm definately feeling it...some good memories ~ but its time for it to go.

I've been looking at the wide range of mattresses that are out there and am very interested in the Tempur-Pedic (the new-age foam thingy type mattress that you see advertised all the time)...I must admit it feels great in the showroom ~ but EXPENSIVE ~ wondering if you guys have such a thing and would recommend it?? There are WAY too many mattresses and mattress stores out there ~ I'm confused!
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Mattresses

Postby madsglen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:48 pm

I've also got a mattress moving in on the 20-year anniversary. Sadly, it's been a while since it's seen a great deal of "action" but it has seen better days. I was intrigued by the "memory foam" mattresses, too, until I started having to sleep on them in some hotel rooms. The mystique was gone after that. Weren't that comfortable as far as I was concerned. And don't get me started on the "sleep number" variety so highly touted (make that highly advertised). Worst nights of sleep I've had at a hotel.

In my most recent testing I've found the latex mattresses to be the most comfortable. There aren't a lot of manufacturers but they've been more comfortable than the regular innerspring models and the memory foam models. And the prices seem to be comparable to the innerspring mattresses I've seen. I'd recommend checking a few of those out.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby nimby » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:17 pm

May I suggest you get one that has a cotton/silk blend covering? Helps to keep air flowing and prevent night sweats. I've gone through about five mattresses in 18 years (Ahhh, the memories) and this combination I've found to be the best, especially if you have allergies.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:27 am

I have slept on a memory foam mattress... I was sore as hell the next morning because I don't move around much when I sleep anyway, and I got stuck in a foxhole all night long.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby rlb2444 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:22 am

I could write a book on mattresses. It is almost impossible to find any brand that is the same from retail dealer to the other. Each one has their own name for a mattress and you have nothing to compare it to. I had great luck with Stearns and Foster mattresses until Sealy bought them and cut the quality for more profit. However I think they finally realized that is was bad move and have made some significant improvements. They have a line called "Firm" that I bought in January '10 and it has been the best I have had. In the past three years I spent over $10,000 in mattresses. The absolute worst for my back was Tempurpedic. I think it's almost impossible to know what you are getting in the stores. They are there to make a profit and the sales people will say anything to make the commission. The best you can do is to get a written return guarantee with NO PENALY of any kind within a certain period of time.
rlb2444

Postby edu999 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:17 pm

Buying a Tempurpedic Cloud mattress set was the best thing I ever did for my sleep. No more sore hips and shoulders when I wake up. (I'm a side sleeper.)

I bought my dogs memory foam dog beds, too. lol
edu999

Postby nimby » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:50 pm

I've been hunting down mattresses for the past couple of months now too. I think I'm going to go with Ikea. There mattresses are ECO friendly, low/no emissions, and made with all natural fibers. And they're reasonably priced.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Health & Lifestyles