Bullied to death

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Bullied to death

Postby Rico » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:23 pm

No real good place to put a story like this. Read this today on Blue Truck, Red State, and I don't think Russ would mind if I posted it here.

Asher Brown, 13-year-old middle school student, shot himself to death in his parents' home near Houston last Thursday after relentless bullying by schoolmates about being gay. The boy came out to his stepfather the morning of the day he killed himself. The parents say they made numerous calls and visits to the school about the problem, but school officials deny they ever received any complaints about the bullying.

Rest in peace, little brother.

Story here: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7220896.html
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Re: Bullied to death

Postby nimby » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:18 pm

How horrible!!!!! F**ken guns! If there was no gun in the house, that kid may still be alive.

As for the bullying, that's exactly why I teach my kids to fight back. They take no s**t from anyone. I encourage them to defend themselves and it's working. Kids can be so vicious, especially little girls. :evil:
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Dan Savage had a column the other day on the death of the child in Indiana and started a project called It Gets Better and invites any and all, but especially GLBT adults, to post videos on YouTube to try and let the youth of today know it does get better and encourage them to just hang on and get the hell out of school. It Gets Better Project Channel; take a peek and if ya got the techno savvy maybe post a short vid. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that using a webcam and some ancient editing software.

It may be preaching to the choir, but it's a start to get to the kids and let them know there are folks out there who do care, have been where they are, and made it to be successful happy people.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Schlodesss » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:07 pm

He would have found another way had he not had a gun.

And while i agree with teaching kids to fight back Nimby its not that simple, they aren't or wouldn't have given this poor kid a chance to 1 on 1 each of the bullies in a controlled environment.... they would have swarmed the fu** out of him and beat his ass worse for standing up for himself.

I feel so bad for some kids in todays world. I grew up in one of the best decades... I mean there was gay hate but kids nowadays take any kind of hate to a whole new level. Thank god I will never reproduce. Not in this society.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby ispeaktexan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:28 pm

That is just horrible.
I'm fortunate to not have faced any homophobia yet.

At least not from peers.
I'm in college now, and open as well.
Nobody cares. I'm in all male dorms as well.

I feel bad for the kids who are driven to suicide, I can't even understand what they must have gone through for them to commit something so extreme.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:02 pm

Schlodesss wrote:He would have found another way had he not had a gun.

And while i agree with teaching kids to fight back Nimby its not that simple, they aren't or wouldn't have given this poor kid a chance to 1 on 1 each of the bullies in a controlled environment.... they would have swarmed the fu** out of him and beat his ass worse for standing up for himself.

I feel so bad for some kids in todays world. I grew up in one of the best decades... I mean there was gay hate but kids nowadays take any kind of hate to a whole new level. Thank god I will never reproduce. Not in this society.

But Steve, if he had time to think, instead of having a gun so handy, he might have found another solution.

So then what is the solution? How would you help your son, daughter, neice, nephew or even a good neighbourhood kid you like who is being bullied? Going to the teachers didn't help. What do we parents do?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:26 am

I don't know Nimby I wasn't criticizing you, I am not sure what the answer is.

I know that kids in general today, at least from where I can see, are missing out on a lot of things growing up... real experiences and stuff subsituted with video games.. it just seems like a lot of kids don't have or value much so there is not much to lose in their eyes, and they seem to find comfort and "fun" in doing the whole pack mentality thing [no sense of self?].

I dunno. I feel bad for kids today. I bought my friends son a little dirt bike [he's 3] because I just feel they need more than playstation or Thomas the tank engine.. that's for rainy days. That kind of stuff I mean.. [that I think kids are missing out on].

I agree totally about teaching self defense, I guess my point was I think it will make little difference with how kids bully today, they literally all gang up.

As for the gun situation yeah you are correct I didn't really think it through. If he had not had a gun there he would have attempted it [I cut my wrist when I was little and almost got it.. the scar is still there today lol] but likely not had the skill to suceed. I've never fired a gun in m life.

PS. If I were a parent, i'd likely lose my temper andgo door to door if my child said he was being bullied and gave me names... I'm fairly off the hook.. i'd do it for my buddy Daves son Ashton.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Cajun » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Keeping a weapon and ammunition UNSECURED, in a home with minors, is irresponsible behavior.

Keeping a weapon and ammunition SECURED, in a home with minors, is perfectly responsible behavior.
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby nimby » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Cajun wrote:Keeping a weapon and ammunition UNSECURED, in a home with minors, is irresponsible behavior.

Keeping a weapon and ammunition SECURED, in a home with minors, is perfectly responsible behavior.

Too bad most don't secure their weapons.

Firearms and Suicide

•Although most gun owners reportedly keep a firearm in their home for "protection" or "self defense," 83 percent of gun-related deaths in these homes are the result of a suicide, often by someone other than the gun owner.
•Firearms are used in more suicides than homicides.
•Death by firearms is the fastest growing method of suicide.
•Firearms account for 50 percent of all suicides.

http://www.afsp.org/index.cfm?fuseactio ... 3a70de1fda
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:54 am

Cute kid. That's a real shame. Middle school is kind of a rotten time. Kids can be cruel. I think kids are even more cruel now than 30 years ago. :?
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:47 am

Schlodesss wrote:He would have found another way had he not had a gun.

Agreed. The same day this kid died another gay teen was taken off life support after hanging himself.

In a week we've seen a 13yo shoot himself, a 14yo hang himself, an 18yo jump off a bridge, and a 19yo hang himself.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby Rico » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:32 pm

As members of the US military were about to celebrate their right to serve as gays, one gentle New York gay student, 14, was ending his life because he could no longer face bullying at his school. RIP Jamey Rodemeyer. Maybe it doesn't get better.

The original video seems to have disappeared, but the news clip with his parents is heartbreaking.

http://youtu.be/Mei5rqsXVWo
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:57 am

And another one, not for being gay, but for being ill...

11-Year-Old Bullying Victim Commits Suicide

by Shannon M. September 23, 2011 9:00 pm

Mitchell Wilson was not delivered an easy hand in life.

Three years ago, when Mitchell was 8, his mother died of cancer.

Not long afterwards, Mitchell himself was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy. The diagnosis was bleak: he was eventually going to lose all mobility and end up in a wheelchair. His lifespan was going to be severely reduced.

Mitchell, despite everything, was optimistic. He tried to keep the beast at bay. His doctors told him that when it came to his mobility, he had to “use it or lose it” — so he used it. He walked. He walked six times a day around his neighborhood, trying to maintain his muscular function. Walking became harder and harder; at school he used a walker. But he fought.

Then another child, a troubled child, a child who for some reason needed an outlet for his own rage and anger decided that because Mitchell was weaker, because he was different, that he was an easy target. Mitchell was out with his father’s iPhone, listening to music and calling home about supper, when the 12-year-old bully decided to take the phone as his own. He jumped Mitchell. He pounded him. He slammed Mitchell’s head so hard into the pavement that his teeth broke.

The bully was arrested the next day and ordered to stay 500 meters away from Mitchell — an order he didn’t always obey. The school board transferred the offender to another school, but the bully’s friends remained behind to constantly torment Mitchell, following him home, demanding to know why Mitchell was taking their friend to court.

Mitchell began suffering anxiety attacks. School was no longer fun or interesting for the boy; instead, he told his father he’d rather die than keep going back.

The school tried to help. They gave him counselling; they assigned a grade 8 student to be his protector. But Mitchell was declining, physically and emotionally. The attack and subsequent ongoing stress were weighing on him heavily. He didn’t want to walk alone anymore. His physical health declined, and the wheelchair loomed. He became more reserved. He did not want to return to school this fall. And he did not want to face his bully again. But at the beginning of September he was notified: a court date was ahead, one where Mitchell was going to have to testify against his attacker.

A few days later, on the first day of school, Mitchell’s father walked in to his bedroom and found Mitchell’s body. Mitchell had killed himself in the night. Whether it was because of his anxiety and fear over the bullying, or the terrifying degeneration of his body due to disease, or another reason, we will never know. But something caused Mitchell to not want to face another day.

The bully still goes to court next week. However, without Mitchell there to tell his story, the charges will probably be dropped. Still, Mitchell’s family plan to deliver their victim impact statements, in a desperate hope to get through to this boy and perhaps even to his family, to make him understand what he set in motion, to make him realize that sometimes, things are permanent, to make him think before he torments another child.

Today, his heartbroken father remains trying to put the pieces of his life back together. “It goes without saying I miss him every day. I love him. I hope he’s OK.”

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/11-year-old ... zz1YsyyvSf

God rest his poor soul.
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Health & Lifestyles