Weight Watchers

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Weight Watchers

Postby olywaguy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Ever since I was diagnosed with diabetes, my doctor has been after me to join Weight Watchers. My workplace has a Weight Watchers program that faculty and staff can join. One of my co-workers has been encouraging to join for a long time as well. So, i finally joined last week.

Two weeks ago, when I went to see my doctor, I was weighing 260 lbs. Last Wednesday, on my first day of WW, I weighed in at 255 lbs. Today, when I weighed in for WW...i was at 250 lbs.

Yeah, I lost 5 lbs. since last week and got a star for it.

My ultimate goal: 200 lbs.

I want to get into a size 34 waist.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul


http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
User avatar
olywaguy
Moderator
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:08 pm
Location: Tupelo, Mississippi

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby butch » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:09 pm

For some reason I have trouble keeping the weight off in my old age. My doctor told me my cholesterol is high and I'm in danger of developing diabetes. Mostly I don't like the rubber tire that's trying to establish itself and my weight is up 35 pounds in the past few years.

So I'm cooking now and trying to cut back on "the good stuff"... butter tarts etc. I've found that since I started cooking that eating more veggies seems to greatly reduce my cravings for sweets. Why? I have no idea but I try hard to include lots of veggies in my meals now. As a single person it's hard to buy veggies for one, but I've discovered that there is now a wide variety of frozen veggies and mixed veggies so that's what I do... buy the frozen ones and there are no more science experiments growing in my fridge now with forgotten veggies.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
Website: http://ButchBoard.com
Image
I'm ready... are you?
User avatar
butch
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:15 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby olywaguy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:38 pm

I too buy the frozen vegetables. Then I add spices to it like black pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Then I add some teriyaki sauce to it....hmmm, yum.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul


http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
User avatar
olywaguy
Moderator
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:08 pm
Location: Tupelo, Mississippi

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Daknee » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 am

In my opion Weight Watches is about the best progam out theres. It's sensible, as far as the food one eats. That's the primary reason. It also has a good success rate too.

Congrats on your current success! Keep us posted and the best of health to you
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
User avatar
Daknee
Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby olywaguy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Since today was the last today of work for one of my student workers and I got paid today, I decided to order pizza for lunch. Since my student worker is a vegetarian, I ordered a medium vegetarian pizza with black olives, green peppers, and mushrooms. Also ordered garlic bread and a 2 litre Sierra Mist.

For me to eat a vegetarian pizza is a big deal because I am a meat eater. Had three slices of the pizza and three slices of the garlic bread. Gave away the rest to two student workers.

Of course, after eating such a meal, I had to go and take a walk around Capital Lake in downtown Olympia. Took me 32 minutes to walk it. I think I will need to do the same walk over the next few days as well to get rid of the pizza that I ate today.

I need to continue the weight loss trend.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul


http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
User avatar
olywaguy
Moderator
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:08 pm
Location: Tupelo, Mississippi

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby nimby » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:44 am

That is EXCELLENT Carlos!!! Keep up the great work!! I went from 234 down to 195, where I am now. I wait a bit, then try to drop another 20-30 lbs.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2906
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby DeckApe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Carlos, my partner has been on Weight Watchers for about a year and a half. He has plateaued, but he also admits that he has not been terribly dilligent about watching his points or his measuring. Also the exercising is a bit of a Waterloo for him. But when he sticks to it, he loses about 1-2 lbs. a week.

Come to think of it, when I exercise with him and eat with him, so do I. :lol:

But yes, it's a good program. It allows for being human and having a Snickers bar once in a while (fun size only, though, else it's a HUGE point bomb).

Five pounds down... very good; carry on to the next five pounds. (I only think of weight loss in five pound increments... it's easier that way.)
DeckApe
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:50 am

...I've gained 25lbs since returning from Iraq. Even with hiking in the mountains.
Might need to consider weight watchers.
***************
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
User avatar
Bramasole_iowa
Member
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:16 pm
Location: away

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Daknee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:46 pm

Bramasole_iowa wrote:...I've gained 25lbs since returning from Iraq. Even with hiking in the mountains.
Might need to consider weight watchers.


I'm nor overly surpirsed about you gaining after returning. Aside from what most know about eating and losing. Many times it's not only the foods we eat but whats in the food we're eating here in the US. MSG is very common in the food available to us and can cause weight gain. It's added to our food to enhance the taste of food. And no it's not just in Chinese food anymore. Google it to better educate yourself.
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
User avatar
Daknee
Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby LtotheP » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Im not sure how weight watchers works, but Ive struggled with weight all my life too - Im just doing my own thing still (I gave up/relapsed for about a year although only gained about 5 lbs (YAY!) haha). Im hoping to be 240 by the time I get home for Christmas (meaning I would have lost about 25 lbs this semester), and would like to loose another 25 next semester...And I really need to start working out more - although I dont have a car in Calgary so I am getting lotsa cardio!
User avatar
LtotheP
Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Alberta

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Daknee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:25 pm

LtotheP wrote:Im not sure how weight watchers works, but Ive struggled with weight all my life too - Im just doing my own thing still (I gave up/relapsed for about a year although only gained about 5 lbs (YAY!) haha). Im hoping to be 240 by the time I get home for Christmas (meaning I would have lost about 25 lbs this semester), and would like to loose another 25 next semester...And I really need to start working out more - although I dont have a car in Calgary so I am getting lotsa cardio!


To help your endevour read, if you have't already, my post above about MSG. One can eat, say food B but if it has MSG in it eating food B will cause one to gain. You have to read labels to do this, but if you like and want to eat food B, eating it without that man made flavor enhancer will make a world of difference. Just this small awareness and change in diet has helped many of my clients and myself shed pounds without really trying.
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
User avatar
Daknee
Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby DeckApe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 am

Weight Watchers released a revamped point system this week; now most fresh fruits and veg are 'free foods.' Before, the emphasis was too heavy on calorie counting and a 100-calorie snack pack of Oreos (for example) scored the same points (one) as a medium apple. So they're re-evaluated their standards and recalculated their points.

My partner is anxiously awaiting the end-of-week results to see how he has done, and how his weight has behaved. It'll be interesting.
DeckApe
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Rico » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:40 pm

I know some who have great experience with Weight Watchers. In fact, any program that combines calorie/fat counting, proper nutrition, and moderate exercise usually will be successful.

Regardless of the program and the three items mentioned above, there are some things that I have personally learned to be helpful:

1. If your food comes primarily from a box or can, you're in trouble. Avoid processed foods and learn to cook things from scratch.
2. If 80% of what you buy to eat isn't found around the perimeter of the grocery store, you're in trouble. Around the perimeter is where you will find (usually in this order clockwise) fresh produce, meats, fish and dairy. Be very careful when walking up and down the aisles. Food danger lurks there.
3. Cook healthy meals and things you like in big batches on the weekends, and then freeze them in individual portions for quick thawing and eating during the week. You'll be less tempted to buy fast foods for a quick meal.

Finally, don't be too rigid on your diet. If you're good 90% of the time, it's probably okay to be bad the rest of the time. Life is too short to do otherwise.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
User avatar
Rico
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Location: Baltimore-Washington

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby furface » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Rico wrote:Finally, don't be too rigid on your diet. If you're good 90% of the time, it's probably okay to be bad the rest of the time. Life is too short to do otherwise.

I agree on this point 100%. I'm an insulin dependent type II diabetic and long ago my doctors told be to be careful with the sugars, carbs, and fats or there'd be problems with with both my blood glucose and weight. They practically ordered me to not embark on a highly restrictive diet because it would make me feel deprived and very likely to cheat. The only thing I had to absolutely give up was alcohol; not because of the sugar problem and empty calories, but because it reacts dangerously with some of my meds.

So if ya got a sweet tooth or the occasional sugar jones, split a small piece of pastry (pie, cheesecake, cake, etc.) with a friend (special/significant/other). Keep a bag of the fun size candy bars around and have one when ya really need to indulge in the chocolate food group. You'll survive the occasional 'splurge' just fine; ya won't do well ignoring the advice of the pros on your food choices.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
User avatar
furface
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:35 pm
Location: The Colony, TX

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby nimby » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:46 pm

People fail to realize that even with the fresh foods, most are modified today as well. Hormones in the fresh meats , fish and dairy, genetically modified fruits and vegetables, these are all referred to as frankenfoods. What do we do about these? It's been proven that most organically grown foods are no healthier for you and just a scam for your $$. What is a body to do?

http://genetichemistry.com/genetic-scie ... s-in-food/
Last edited by nimby on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2906
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Daknee » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Soylent Green is not far behind.

Soylent Green, for those that may not know, was a movie made in the 70's, I believe. It takes place in the furture and talks about the food staple we all would be eating. I wo'nt spoil the end by telling you what Soylent Green truns out to be.
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
User avatar
Daknee
Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Rico » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:49 pm

nimby wrote:People fail to realize that even with the fresh foods, most are modified today as well. Hormones in the fresh meats , fish and dairy, genetically modified fruits and vegetables, these are all referred to as frankenfoods. What do we do about these? It's been proven that most organically grown foods are no healthier for you and just a scam for your $$. What is a body to do?

http://genetichemistry.com/genetic-scie ... s-in-food/

I don't generally buy organic...I believe it's a scam too. And investigations have shown many of the so-called "organic" foods aren't necessarily organic given the way the government defines it.

But as far as genetically modified fruits and vegetables, you're stuck stuck unless you live in an area where you are 100% self-sufficient, and can produce your own food including meats, fish and dairy. I don't know about you, but I'd have a difficult time raising cows, lambs, pigs, chickens and fish in my house. Not sure I'd want to either. I don't think it makes that much difference. I'll take my chance with the frankenfoods. Also, it doesn't take away from the main point about avoiding processed foods since thinking logically, those foods are most likely processed frankenfoods. A double whammy.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
User avatar
Rico
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Location: Baltimore-Washington

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Daknee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 am

Rico wrote:
nimby wrote:People fail to realize that even with the fresh foods, most are modified today as well. Hormones in the fresh meats , fish and dairy, genetically modified fruits and vegetables, these are all referred to as frankenfoods. What do we do about these? It's been proven that most organically grown foods are no healthier for you and just a scam for your $$. What is a body to do?

http://genetichemistry.com/genetic-scie ... s-in-food/

I don't generally buy organic...I believe it's a scam too. And investigations have shown many of the so-called "organic" foods aren't necessarily organic given the way the government defines it.

But as far as genetically modified fruits and vegetables, you're stuck stuck unless you live in an area where you are 100% self-sufficient, and can produce your own food including meats, fish and dairy. I don't know about you, but I'd have a difficult time raising cows, lambs, pigs, chickens and fish in my house. Not sure I'd want to either. I don't think it makes that much difference. I'll take my chance with the frankenfoods. Also, it doesn't take away from the main point about avoiding processed foods since thinking logically, those foods are most likely processed frankenfoods. A double whammy.


I agree with you Rico, One can't win, it seems. For me I only try to do the best I can with what I eat. As few chemicals as possible. Shopping the perimiter of the grocery story ( Generally these are the better less processed foods)
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
User avatar
Daknee
Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby nimby » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Hey wait!!! The bakery is always on the perimeter. Woo hoo! I'm safe. :D
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2906
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Rico » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:39 pm

nimby wrote:Hey wait!!! The bakery is always on the perimeter. Woo hoo! I'm safe. :D

I almost included the bakery in the list of perimeter places, but at the last moment deliberately left it out. I figured someone would notice. :D

Seriously, the bakery is a healthy stop for fresh (crusty) bread and even the freshly made sweet baked goods....better than those pies/cakes/cookies made in far away places with strange ingredients that I can't pronounce.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
User avatar
Rico
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Location: Baltimore-Washington

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Daknee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Rico wrote:
nimby wrote:Hey wait!!! The bakery is always on the perimeter. Woo hoo! I'm safe. :D

I almost included the bakery in the list of perimeter places, but at the last moment deliberately left it out. I figured someone would notice. :D

Seriously, the bakery is a healthy stop for fresh (crusty) bread and even the freshly made sweet baked goods....better than those pies/cakes/cookies made in far away places with strange ingredients that I can't pronounce.



Good point Rico, about being better. Remember I saind about trying to avoid chemicals, well the bakery may have less preservatives that the bread in the center.

And
Nimbly, That's why I said GENERALY.LOL!
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
User avatar
Daknee
Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby nimby » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Granted, Daknee. But I'm not too smart. You have to hit me over the head sometimes. :?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2906
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Guinness Fan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:29 pm

An interesting thread...But I feel like a voyeur for reading the posts & have no intention to hijack the discussion...but I have the opposite problem ~ I've never been able to gain weight. I eat like a horse, drink like a fish, but I'm basically the same weight that I was while I was in college (decades ago). I remember trying to gain weight ~ drinking ice cream shakes and eating bananas before going to bed...nothing worked....high metabolism...tape worm...whatever...Now I just try and eat sensibly...and when I'm full, I stop...no seconds...no desserts...

I'm 6'00", 160 lbs...Ever try to find a 39 Long suit (39L jacket, 33x34 trousers)????????? HELP ~ ~ ~ Is there a skinny-guy thread on here????????
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
User avatar
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:08 am
Location: International

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby olywaguy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:20 am

Guinness Fan wrote:An interesting thread...But I feel like a voyeur for reading the posts & have no intention to hijack the discussion...but I have the opposite problem ~ I've never been able to gain weight. I eat like a horse, drink like a fish, but I'm basically the same weight that I was while I was in college (decades ago). I remember trying to gain weight ~ drinking ice cream shakes and eating bananas before going to bed...nothing worked....high metabolism...tape worm...whatever...Now I just try and eat sensibly...and when I'm full, I stop...no seconds...no desserts...

I'm 6'00", 160 lbs...Ever try to find a 39 Long suit (39L jacket, 33x34 trousers)????????? HELP ~ ~ ~ Is there a skinny-guy thread on here????????


Shut up...and stop bragging!! I hate you!! :P :D
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul


http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
User avatar
olywaguy
Moderator
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:08 pm
Location: Tupelo, Mississippi

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby Daknee » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:06 pm

nimby wrote:Granted, Daknee. But I'm not too smart. You have to hit me over the head sometimes. :?


Nimby I ment my comment more as a jest than a jab. I try to justify things too. Say lemon mergage pie is good for you because it has vitaman C. LOL!
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
User avatar
Daknee
Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Phoenix

Next

Return to Health & Lifestyles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron