Shaving systems. What do you use?

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Postby catapult » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:07 am

I've been using the Gillette Fusion razor blades. Not the power ones. But I'm tired of paying the very high price of blades.

Any good alternatives out there? Other than growing a beard.

I've never had much luck or satisfaction with an electric razor.
catapult

Re: Shaving systems. What do you use?

Postby Cajun » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:42 am

If you're looking to cut down on cost, but still use the same quality blades, try this:

Get a small jar, about the size of a small mayo jar. Place about 1/2" of cheap rubbing alcohol in the jar, and store your razor submerged in the alcohol when not in use, after cleaning it. You'll at least double the life of your blades, guaranteed......

Change the alcohol when you change the blade. Blades don't get dull, they get DIRTY!!!! :wink:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby ispeaktexan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:35 pm

I shave like once a week at most....i really don't grow facial hair
So disposable razors are fine for me...
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:43 pm

Cajun wrote:If you're looking to cut down on cost, but still use the same quality blades, try this:

Get a small jar, about the size of a small mayo jar. Place about 1/2" of cheap rubbing alcohol in the jar, and store your razor submerged in the alcohol when not in use, after cleaning it. You'll at least double the life of your blades, guaranteed......

Change the alcohol when you change the blade. Blades don't get dull, they get DIRTY!!!! :wink:

Did you get that from Heloise's Hints, Cajun?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:40 pm

I use Gillette Pivot Plus disposables and the shaving gel for sensitive skin. Electric razors can't even come close. And yes, in the shower is the only place to shave. I have a full legnth mirror in there ( te he he) and the steam helps.
Last edited by nimby on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby njguy5 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:16 am

I have pretty thick beard. I shave with the Pivot razor...every Mon-Fri and sometimes Sat/Sun. I have a mirror in the shower and shave there...with all the steam and humidity. In these ideal shaving conditions, my razors can last 4-5 months. Hard to believe, but true. Everyone should try this.
My Dad always told me..."If you want the truth, follow the money."
njguy5

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:04 am

I only shave every 3 or 4 days so I use weed wacker I mean disposable razors and Gillette Foamy shave cream. Unscented.

I tried electric but those don't work unless you use them every day. I don't have much beard after only one day. Plus if I wait 3 days, it allows my face time to recover. :mrgreen:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:52 pm

Electric shavers work for me...but i don't shave often.
One day i hope to grow a beard lol.

But that day doesn't seem to be in the near future, but thats fine.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby catapult » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:54 pm

Okay Cajun. I'm gonna try soaking my razor in the rubbing alcohol. I had heard something like that. Worth a try. I got some new Fusion blades on eBay at a good price, but I think they were knock offs. They had all the right labeling and packaging but they were not sharp and hurt my face. They are always sharp and smooth at first. Something fishy there. I'm getting a refund.
catapult

Postby matinee » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:07 pm

I think that the 3-4-5 blade stuff is pure BS (I have tried them all). I still use the Gillette Excel stuff and now you can get compatible generic blades since you can't get originals any more. A nick fee and comfortable shave without the weird bouncing blades that take many strokes to get the job done (I shave once in a while when I go to business meetings). I like the Gillette style blades more because they rinse better and don't clog. Schick blades clog up in a hurry.
matinee

Postby catapult » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:24 pm

As much as hate the new and improved marketing pitch, these Fusion 5 blades are superior. And you do cut less and the face is large so it actually requires fewer strokes. But they make you pay! There should be more competition and new systems invented.
catapult

Postby ispeaktexan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:31 pm

God! I didn't know so many existed, i just buy regular ones...the same ones everytime and theyre fine for me...

But yeah...
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:42 am

Has anyone else ever been shaved by their barber? It's rather a masculine and sensual feeling. Really.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:31 pm

...no.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Never my face. But my one-time barber (the late great Skip L'Esperance, if anyone knows about Northern California boxing) used a straight razor on the back of my neck. I felt fresh and clean for DAYS.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby DerWanderer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:06 pm

Of late its been one of the Gillette Fusions. The $5 coupon made it worthwhile since I was due a replacement.

Seriously thinking of going back to a straight razor though. Yeah it takes a while to get used to but there can be something rather meditative and relaxing about a classic shave.
DerWanderer

Postby Arturo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 pm

I use the powered Fusion. The blades seem to last a pretty long time for me (more than a month, anyway).

I've got a pretty heavy beard (I shave every morning, and if I have a date, I'll shave before that as well.), and a moderately hairy body as well. I use the Fusion for trimming up random hairs that grow nowhere near any other hair.
Arturo

Postby butch » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:18 pm

I use a Sensor 3. Still cuts me around the mouth and doesn't get all the stuff in the nooks and crannies, but the 4 and 5 blade ones don't work for me. I have VERY sensitive skin and also cut very easily.

Speaking of having sensitive skin, I have a lot of problems with deodorants in the summer but recently tried JASON natural/organic for sensitive skin and it seems to be OK and works just fine to keep me smelling "fresh". Better than hot burning irons in my arm pits which the major brands (think Mennen etc.) types cause. Anything "extra strength" is like putting acid in my armpits and hurts instantly. :? :? :?
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby rlb2444 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:32 am

Every time I buy those Gillette Fusion blades I feel like I am wasting money. Even at Costco they are expensive. I actually like the Gillette disposable blades and at Costco a 50 pack is less than $20....last almost a year for me. Can't beat them for shaving your junk!
rlb2444

Postby Guinness Fan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Twin blade Sensor Excel in the shower...Tried the disposable twin blades, but don't care for them ~ talk about death from a thousand cuts........
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:05 pm

Guinness Fan wrote:Twin blade Sensor Excel in the shower...Tried the disposable twin blades, but don't care for them ~ talk about death from a thousand cuts........

Agree with the "thousand cuts" from the disposables, at least for me. I was a fan too of the Sensor Excel but upgraded a few years ago to the Mach III, same maker -- Gillette. The Mach III works well for me....especially in those most private of areas. But why are these things so expensive? I don't get it.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:19 am

I use a Norelco electric shaver to trim my beard. Haven't purchased blades in years.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Electric razors just chew my face up, so I prefer the cream and razor method. Besides, watching a guy shave is so sensual.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:55 pm

^^ Well said Nimby...seeing a guy doing one of the most basic "guy functions" can be a real turn on... :wink:
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Xpat » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 am

nimby wrote:Has anyone else ever been shaved by their barber? It's rather a masculine and sensual feeling. Really.

The best, most pampered feeling in the world! I use the old fashioned method: a badger brush, shave cream (The Art of Shaving has a great line). I get a pretty decent shave with that "system." Also, blades tend to bend and that's whey they seem to have lost their sharpness. Try this: take an old pair of jeans and run your razor up the leg about 10-15 times. Make sure you have the sharp side pointed towards you and stroke upwards otherwise you'll shred your jeans.
Xpat

Next

Return to Health & Lifestyles