Bruxism

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Bruxism

Postby J » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Does anyone have a problem with grinding their teeth down to the nerves? I know I have. And I'm all but certain it's because of one thing: Stress. No other reason I would be gnashing my teeth nonstop for the last (almost) decade. I wish I had a good dental plan so that I could get my teeth fixed and not have to be in agony every time I eat or drink something or clench my teeth together. I hate stress. If I knew this would have been one of the results, I would have gotten a mouth guard (or something) long ago. I can't think of any other reason I've ground my formerly not too bad teeth to this extent. Does anyone have bruxism experience? This is painful. There are literaly chunks gone from several of them. I'm ready to put any money I might ever get toward dental implants cause I refuse to have dentures. I think they're completely gross. I hate stress so much. It's the only reason this has happened that I can think of.
J

Postby olywaguy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:28 am

We all have stress, it is just the way we handle it that makes a difference.

How do you handle stress? What things do you do when stress comes your way?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby J » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:44 pm

When I get stressed, I usually take several valiums, ativans, xanaxes and klonopins. But even now those do near nothing to help. I am havng to be "forced" back on the barbiturates (pentobarbital, seconal) to calm down now. And this feels like my greatest victory lost, having to go BACK on the medications that caused me so much agony in the first place.
J

Postby olywaguy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 pm

Well Jeff, you may want to consider alternative non-medicative solutions.

Have you thought of maybe doing yoga or meditation or go to a gym and punch a punching bag. You may also want to consider some sort of strenuous exercise like jogging.

You also need to get mad and scream. In other words, don't internalize what you are feeling. Find an outlet that will allow you to get rid of that stress.

I think you feel things very deeply and you let it brew inside of you for a very long time. That stress needs to be released somehow and it is coming out via your grinding of teeth.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Cachasa » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:13 am

Another thing you could do is buy a guard. You place it in your mouth when you go to sleep and it provides a soft silicon barrier to keep your teeth from grinding together.

There are really expensive ones from the dentist but if you don't have a good plan then you might want to check out an over the counter version. I bought one and it was about 50$. It had instructions on the box for how to make it fit your teeth.

Much better price than the ones that the dentist gives you, that would have set me back 250$.
Cachasa

Postby olywaguy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:12 am

Good idea Cachasa.

Here's an article on dental mouth guards from WebMD.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:28 am

It's funny you bring that up. Both my brothers said they do that about a week ago. And now you.

You might want to try the Colgate toothpaste for sensitive teeth. That's what one brother uses.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby doctor dan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:34 am

count me in too. i was a grinder/clencher/tongue thruster. i have worn a night guard for about ten years. i have great dental coverage, so my dentist did mine. the night guard help preserve your teeth, but it doesn't really stop the pain resulting from the muscle strain nor the headaches, nor the root cause of the clenching and grinding. muscle relaxants have helped me occasionally but i don't take them frequently. the tongue thrusting causes me to breathe through my mouth, which dries out my mouth, makes me snore, and causes a sore throat. ugh. since i talk in my sleep so much, i don't grind/clench/thrust as much as i could.
doctor dan

Postby J » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:26 pm

It might already be too late, as I still have no dental insurance, large chunks missing from my teeth (including one in front) and was told about a year ago I'd need about fourteen crowns. Who can afford that? I need that money for rent, my car and to refill my anti-anxiety meds, which help somewhat.
J

Postby dracuscalico » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:49 am

There are dental plans you can purchase that are more like discount programs where they slash a percentage off the dentists' normal rates.

Do you qualify for any type of assistance due to extenuating circumstances ?

Are there any sliding scale dental clinics?

What about a dental school? You could get reduced rates because they are students but the work is all supervised.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby matinee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:17 am

Last year I had two crowns and a root canal done in Poland for a grand total of $700 US (they are top notch using US sourced materials and the facilities are super nice).

I have seen a documentary where dentists go to "seminars" that teach them how to maximize their profits by suggesting "necessary procedures" and drop "unprofitable" patients. The average North American dentist makes over $200,000 a year in take home pay and cosmetic dentists (crowns, implants, etc) average over $400,000 in take home pay (that is AFTER expenses!). We have the highest dental care costs on the planet!
matinee

Postby Daknee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:28 pm

matinee wrote:Last year I had two crowns and a root canal done in Poland for a grand total of $700 US (they are top notch using US sourced materials and the facilities are super nice).

I have seen a documentary where dentists go to "seminars" that teach them how to maximize their profits by suggesting "necessary procedures" and drop "unprofitable" patients. The average North American dentist makes over $200,000 a year in take home pay and cosmetic dentists (crowns, implants, etc) average over $400,000 in take home pay (that is AFTER expenses!). We have the highest dental care costs on the planet!

This does not surprise me. We have the worst medical system on the planet period. I don't necessarily mean the quality of work. I mean mostly everything else. :x :cry:
Daknee

Postby J » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Sometimes I wish I was back in San Diego. I bet it would be real cheap to have it done in Tijuana or Ensenada (Mexico), where many US trained doctors/dentists charge like 15% of what they do here, as they don't have all the "third party" bullsh!t to go through, reducing costs considerably. I'd go there right now if I could. I have an ugly gap in my top front teeth, and about 10 teeth have turned nearly black at the gumline. Not to mention I have ground them down to half the length they're supposed to be, mere nanometers from the nerves. I can tell when I eat/drink something very hot or cold. It HURTS!!!! :cry: If I had unlimited (or any disposable for that matter) money, I'd get them all fixed and maybe put veneers on so that I could finally smile for real and not be ashamed of it. I hate teeth. Why can't they just stay the way they are? I'm only 31 for hell's sake! (shut up, whoever's calling me a liar).
J

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:47 am

I'm one of those "unprofitable" patients. I get a cleaning and check up about once every 5 years. If they dropped their price to something reasonable, I would go every year.

That toothpaste I recommended can help with the nerve pain, Jeff.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:02 am

J, firstly you have to control the stress/anger/BPD. I can clearly see it comming through in every post you make. If you don't, any $$ you spend on dental will be a total waste. I understand you don't like taking the meds, but are there any alternatives? Investigate them all. Anger therapy might be good for you. I've even heard of something new. You go to your local junk yard, pay $10 and they give you a bat, point you to a car, and you beat the sh!t out of it while yelling at the top of your lungs!! What could it hurt?

Just know that people here wish you well. :wink:
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 pm

Who said I didn't like the meds? I just don't like being dependent on them (again). I just took a valium, ativan, 7 klonopin and 2 xanax "bars". As for anger management, I have found creative uses for sulfuric (battery) acid, chlorine and dry ice bombs (especially when they blow apart a large water jug, loud as hell and a very impressive explosion, the more psi, the better). They can do a lot of damage, but I only "detonate" them in remote areas (like sand pits) after I run like hell so that I don't lose my hearing or get in trouble should anyone show up.
J

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:28 am

Anger is an interesting subject. We live in a society that tells you to swallow all your emotions, but that is obviously unhealthy.

I get really angry in hot weather. I must have been a polar bear in another life. :?
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Humidity irritates me. I don't have a/c or a dehumidifier here. I'm sure I'll be bitching about it this summer.
J

Re: Bruxism

Postby J » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Reply to an old topic. Finally got dental insurance (but it only covers up to 1,500/year) and had my teeth checked out to see what could be done. Well it looks like a complete oral restoration is what I need (28 crowns/caps, yes, every front tooth needs a crown, the molars/back teeth, which are in the best condition, might just need caps), and out of those, about 6-10 need root canals. 1,500 won't cover it. It'll be closer to 30,000. I'm saving everything I can so that I can at least have the front teeth looking presentable for interviews. Getting this done at Tufts or Harvard (the grad program, it's too advanced for the undergrads) will run me about 15K, so I'm planning to go in with my plan and maybe 3K in cash (if I can save it) and get the front teeth worked on. The only good thing is my x-rays showed the roots/jawbone were in great shape, so they don't want to pull anything. Good cause I don't want removables anyway. I saw an old video I was in about 18 years ago, and my teeth were about twice the length they are now. I wonder if it's possible to have 2 or 3 different dental plans at once since the ceilings are so low and the monthly cost isn't too high (and I don't use two at the same dentist). I just need to win the lottery!!
J

Return to Health & Lifestyles