Did you Know?

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Postby furface » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:55 pm

The hyoid bone is the only non-articulated bone in the body.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby michaelk69 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:11 pm

. . . that you can make your own cheap substitute for buttermilk by adding 1 Tbl lemon juice to a cup of milk and letting it sit 10 mins before using in a recipe
michaelk69

Postby chidiver » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Did you know that Rusty the Bailiff from the People's Court back in the Judge Wapner days was also the bailiff at the Charles Manson trial?
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:15 am

Did you know that the male bedbug penetrates the female by jabbing his horn-like thingee directly into the abdomen of the female... jabs it through the abdominal wall like a spear he does... no mussing around finding a hole.

A Vancouver pest control firm became the first in Canada to obtain a bed-bug sniffing jack russel terrier with 600 hours of training and 90%+ finding rate, even behind walls.

This isn't he, but the picture is cute...

"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Dago » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:23 pm

Hot water freezes faster than cold water. And ice will evaporate while remaining frozen.
Dago

Postby butch » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:07 pm

Did you know that ice is really a liquid. So is glass.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:14 am

nimby wrote:DYK that if Betelgeuse goes supernova, as most Astronomers predict will happen soon (give or take a million years or so), it will appear in our sky larger than a full moon and shine brighter than a royal willie being caught on film for the first time?

Way more exciting viewing than an imbred willy.
This is what I think it'll look like over my hometown...

solat

Postby nimby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:12 am

I had a chat with an astrophysicist (?) last week at McMaster and he feel that it could happen in our lifetime. Betelgeuse, he claims, is showing all the signs of imminent supernova. Also the Vatican, which has some of the strongest astronomical experts and facilities around the world, is getting excited lately over something that is happening in the sky. Any ideas?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:18 am

The Vatican is watching for the Wormwood star which will be the sign that the end of the world and the second coming is at hand.

In my book I tell you that the wormwood star is a comet of frozen helium, completely invisible until it will be too late.... just about 20 days before you kiss your ass goodbye, it hits the Earth, kills 99% of everything and begins the Earth's renewal with a good old fashioned 50,000 year ice age.

Nature always renews itself. Humankind is a virus and will be wiped out by nature.

http://TheShapeOfGod.com
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 am

I do strongly believe in the Gaia's Revenge theory. The old girl has just had enough. It has happened in the past, many times over, and it will happen again. No worries though. In one form or another, we will be back.

Remember, if the Earth dies, Man dies. If Man dies, the Earth will live. Absolutely no getting around that fact.

I met Mary Sparrowdancer on line and was introduced to her book, "The Lovesong of The Universe, which I enjoyed very much. I'll gladly check out your book too.

Cheers.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby michaelk69 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:29 am

Speaking of the earth (and getting back On Topic), did you know that it takes 15 times the fuel to put an imported fruit/vegetable on your plate, than one that grows in your area?

(I don't actually know if that is true, but I just happened to read that today, lol . . .)
michaelk69

Postby Cajun » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:22 pm

I found something interesting in an old Louisiana tour guide..... It stated that the flags of more sovereign nations have flown over Louisiana than any other state of the Union.

It listed the following: The Spanish colors of Leon and Castile hoisted by DeSoto in 1541; the French Fleur-de-Lis, 1682; British Union Jack, 1763; Bourbon Spain, 1769; French Tri-Color, 1803; U.S. flag of 15 stars, 1803; West Florida Lone Star, 1810; Independent Louisiana, 1861; Confederate flag, 1861; and, of course, our beloved present U.S. flag.

Didn't know that.......
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby solat » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Did you know I live on a continent. The fact that 95% of it is under water is besides the point.
solat

Postby devilnuts » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:08 am

Dago wrote: And ice will evaporate while remaining frozen.

Sublimation. It's also what happens to CO2 (dry ice).

butch wrote:Did you know that ice is really a liquid. So is glass.

Semantics. What defines a liquid and solid is debatable in any field of study. Condensed matter physics makes just about anything a gas. A useful example is the model of a metal where the nuclei are suspended in an electron "gas". Again...it's just words.

Glass has no repetative crystalline structure and this has given rise to the story that it is a liquid. Although there has been no evidence that shows that glass is just a slow moving, super-cooled liquid people use the example of old windows. This was found to be not true as well. It was merely a convention used when installing the glass. While it does have similarities to both the generally accepted properties of solid and liquid, it is classified as solid.

Did you know that there are about 6 x 10^21 (that's a 6 followed by 21 zeros) molecules in one cup of air (at standard atmospheric temperature and pressure)? Imagine how many are in the room you are sitting in reading this. :shock:
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby devilnuts » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:21 am

Did you know that there are "sliding" rocks in Death Valley? Oddly enough, no one has ever seen them actually move. Click this link for some really cool pics of their tracks and an article about them.
devilnuts

Postby solat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:03 am

I had heard of that.

Did you know NZ's 197th most popular tourist attraction is a bunch of round stones on a beach?
solat

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:18 am

California's state flag still has a grizzly bear on it, even though the last bear left in 1924.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 am

I'm betting a lot of bears, in a lot of bars, might disagree.

The Great Seal of the United States is 100% masonic symbols on the non-eagle side.

The symbol of British Columbia is the Orca whale but it is not indigenous to BC. They roam word-wide and only come here for the mercury contaminated salmon.

PS... don't eat more than one large fish meal per year if you value your health. I don't eat any, at all.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Did you know that while riding a motorcycle above about 15 MPH, if you push on the right side of the handle bars, the bike will turn right? Think about it, if you push the right side, the wheel should turn left and the bike should go left...or so one would think :wink:
devilnuts

Postby butch » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:38 pm

Didn't know that... I used to lock down the handlebars and drove by shifting my weight. The handlebars were locked to prevent flipping... guess that's why... I'd cruise along about 110 mph on my BSA. God must love me, or hate me, I'm still alive in spite of it all.

RE: solids and liquids... a better answer than I've seen from some of the idiots on some of the physics boards I used to visit. In this case, a solid is being defined as matter that retains rigidity and shape over extended time. Neither glass, nor ice can do that. Modern glass is workable only because it is held in place (retains its shape) because of micro crystaline structures within the glass created by dissolved metals within the glass. The metal provides the physically solid structure, and the glass simply fills in the gaps with liquid... itself.

Liquid Helium will crawl up and over the edges of any container trying to hold it and can pass right on through glass... gots to use a METAL (eg SOLID) container.... the glass container being just another liquid from the point of view of the helium.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Did you know Dr. Johnson's Dictionary is still published in the US?
It's used to interpret your Founding Document.

Here's a snippet of mine:

Did you also know that the words 'masturbation' and 'p*nis' are nowhere to be found in Johnson's dict?

Don't ask me how I know these things.
solat

Postby JakeMIke » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:05 am

You can use peanuts to make glycerol, which is a component of nitroglycerine, which can then be used to make dynamite.

Lemons contain more sugar than strawberries.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:57 am

The thumb of Michigan is created by the two fingers of Lake Huron which hang down like testicles. :P

Michigan's two peninsulas were connected in 1957 by the Mackinac bridge over the straits of Mackinac. Kind of a bridge that gets no respect. Largest span in the western hemisphere. Even longer than the Golden Gate.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:59 am

I have a buddy whose cousin and her LeCar were blown off the Mackinaw Bridge in the 80's. The wind got under the car and flipped it right over the railing. Needless to say, both she and the car met their demise in the incident.
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:04 am

Wow. Yeah I think they mention that in the Wikipedia article on the bridge.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Health & Lifestyles