Did you Know?

Here's a place to discuss health issues that affect gay men plus the all around lifestyle issues that encompass both gay and straight men.

Moderators: selective_soldier, foxeyes2, drtom

Did you Know?

Postby Phoenix6570 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:38 am

Not really sure where this belongs. I thought it would be a fun little idea, we can all post information that we think others should know. It's a good way to share and learn about many topics from different people. Well I guess I'll start first.

Did you know that there is fluoride in the water we drink? This helps to cause a variety of negative health effects. This is something to be concerned with and should be stopped immediately. Check out this link to see some of the effects fluoride has on the body http://www.holisticmed.com/fluoride/

This one will give the full scope of how fluoride can be extremely harmful for us http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... index.html
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Yup, shocking, eh? Sodium Fluoride was actually used by the Nazis in the concentration camps during the war. I have switched to non fluoride toothpaste for me and my family. It can be bought at any natural health store.

Also you'd be best to switch to a dentist that uses mercury free fillings. Mercury is highly poisonous, so why is it o.k. to put it in your mouth? W.H.M.I.S has very strict guidelines on how to handle mercury, but it is o.k. in your mouth?

Also look at what Chlorine does to the body. Now yes, I understand why we need Chlorine in the drinking water, but why isn't it removed after it does it's job and before we ingest it?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:32 pm

Alternative to flu shots. Many already know flu shots are not really the best thing in the world for our bodies. However by taking vitamin D our immune system is better. Why? Our bodies have this vitamin less in the system in the winter time, making us more vulnerable to the flu.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/10/21/avoid-flu-shots-vitamin-d-is-a-better-way.aspx
Daknee

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:08 am

Imam Ali is buried where the camel his body was strapped to stopped. That is now the city of Najef.
His sons are buried in Karbala, where their camels stopped.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby jkav » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:27 am

In order to not show preference to either the Bosniak, Croat or Serb populations in Bosnia and Herzegovina, many general circulation newspapers in the country alternate printing their front pages in both the Latin (Bosnian & Croatian languages) and Cyrillic (Serbian language) scripts every other day.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby batty » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:51 am

In Korea newborns start at one year old, and each passing of a New Year, rather than the birthday, adds one year to the person's age; this results in people usually being between 1-2 years older in Asian reckoning than in the Western version. This is universal in Korea but common in other Asian countries.
batty

Postby nimby » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:19 am

The Trypillian Civilization was a neolithic culture that flourished in Easterm Europe between 5500 - 2750 B.C.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:39 pm

The light bulbs in the New York City subway are reportedly left-hand thread to prevent theft.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:13 am

Mr. Librarian here asks to please cite your source for your statements.

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby dracuscalico » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:32 am

batty wrote:In Korea newborns start at one year old, and each passing of a New Year, rather than the birthday, adds one year to the person's age; this results in people usually being between 1-2 years older in Asian reckoning than in the Western version. This is universal in Korea but common in other Asian countries.

If they want to be really accurate they could count back to conception...or not...if it is BIRTH day I guess it has to be the day of your BIRTH not your creation....but if they did want to at least try to be accurate on the basis of creation the 1st brithday would be 3 months from being born, to approximate the date of conception.(3 months + 9 months)...
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:43 pm

nimby wrote:The Trypillian Civilization was a neolithic culture that flourished in Easterm Europe between 5500 - 2750 B.C.

http://www.rom.on.ca/exhibitions/specia ... edia=print

Saw the exhibit over the weekend. Very interesting. Also saw the diamond exhibit there.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby solitaryman1969 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:35 pm

If they were to release all the diamonds that are currently in the vaults around the world, diamonds would be just a sparkly rock with little value.

Nimby, I too saw the exhibt a few weeks back, when Marie Antoinette's dress was there.
"Time is priceless, yet it costs us nothing. You can do anything you want with it, except own it. You can spend it, but you can't keep it. And once you've lost it, there is no getting it back. It's just gone."
solitaryman1969

Postby dracuscalico » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:01 am

The movie Snakes on a Plane...is about snakes....on a plane.... :roll:

:lol:
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:48 am

Transliterating from Cyrillic Serbian to Latin Serbian is a direct 1-to-1 mapping of letters, but due to the Latin version's use of ligatures and digraphs, transliterating from Latin Serbian to Cyrillic Serbian requires more in-depth knowledge of the language.

Alexander, Ronelle (2006). Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, a Grammar: With Sociolinguistic Commentary. Madison, Wisc.: University of Wisconsin Press.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:50 am

solitaryman1969 wrote:If they were to release all the diamonds that are currently in the vaults around the world, diamonds would be just a sparkly rock with little value.

Nimby, I too saw the exhibt a few weeks back, when Marie Antoinette's dress was there.

Yea, those rocks were pretty fabulous (two snaps and around the world :lol: ) But I couldn't help think of the damage open pit mining does to the earth and the enviroment for miles around. Is it really worth it when now a days you can get some great man made stones with much less of a carbon foot print. I do think De Beers is one of the most devastating enviromental hazards on the planet and I for one wouldn't shed a tear if they went belly up.

The new ROM itself was pretty cool to see. I enjoyed it very much.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 pm

The word "gab" originates from Scotland and Northern England c. 1200, from the Old Norse word "gabba," meaning "to mock" or Old French "gabber," meaning "to boast."

"Gabby" first appeared in 1719, "gabfest" is 1897 American English slang, and "gift of the gab" comes from 1681.

Online Etymology Dictionary
http://www.etymonline.com
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:16 am

Greenland is the world's largest island. Australia doesn't count.

Other large islands: New Guinea, Borneo, Madagascar, Baffin, Sumatra, Honshu.

I guess if you like islands, the southwest Pacific is the place to be. A virtual diarrhea landscape of islands. :P
Last edited by Earl Butz on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:37 am

Why doesn't Australia count?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:22 pm

nimby wrote:Why doesn't Australia count?

I dunno. I would count it. It's completely surrounded by water...

Wikipedia classifies it as a "continental land mass". It is 3 times larger than Greenland. They consider Great Britain, Ireland and Newfoundland islands. So it seems inconsistent to me.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:01 pm

Earl Butz wrote: It's completely surrounded by water...

And by that definition, so is the CONTINENT of South America - did we make it an island by digging the Panama Canal?

Australia is a continent, and therefore not classified as an island - and yes, I DO have a degree in Geography :wink:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby matinee » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:06 pm

I always thought that Australia is a continent because it is on its own tectonic plate.
matinee

Postby olywaguy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

The definition of continent refers to one continuous land mass. While island is land surrounded by water. Australia is both.

When I was attending grammar school in Honduras we recognized the following as the major land masses of the Earth:

1. America (North, Middle (includes Central and the Carribbean), and South America). For most people in Latin America, America refers to the one continuous land mass from the Aleutian Islands to Tierra del Fuego. USA = Los Estados Unidos de America. or just plain old Estados Unidos abbreviated as EE.UU. I 've never understood why the doubling of letters but that is the abbreviation used in Spanish for the USA. Its funny as well that most Americans don't refer to this country as USA but America.

2. Europe

3. Asia

4. Africa

5. Australia

6. Antarctica

7. Oceania (includes Australia, NZ, and surrounding islands)

Apparently, there seems to be a lot of debate among geographers about the number of continents and what is Australia....continent or island?

I searched through several websites and there didn't seem to be any agreement but I did send an email to the U.S. Geological Survey to see if they can give me a somewhat definitive answer on the question. I will post their response when I get it.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby jkav » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:37 pm

I was taught that Australia was a continental landmass, but the continent wasn't called Australia. It was called Oceania, and no two people can pronounce it the same.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:50 am

Well if I ran the world....

I would make Australia and Antarctica separate continents. I would also disqualify Greenland as an island. It's just too big.

Therefore, New Guinea would be the world's largest island. Yay! :P
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:09 am

Did you know that the gas mask and the automatic traffic light were invented by African-American Garrett A. Morgan.

Whenever he tried to sell his gas mask, buyers would not because of his race. So, he used white salesmen to sell his product and sometimes Garrett would pass himself off as Native American because they were more welcome than blacks. Garrett's gas mask design was used during World War I.

source: The Faces of Science: African Americans in the Sciences
Carlos

olywaguy

Next

Return to Health & Lifestyles