Star Trek XI

Discuss movies, music, books, events, parties, StraightActing get togethers and other entertaining things inside here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, batty, charmcitywop

Star Trek XI

Postby olywaguy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:14 pm

An interview from the Star Trek.com website from the writers of the next Star Trek movie.

"Trek XI" Writers Talk, Drop Hints

The title of the eleventh film in the Star Trek franchise may simply be "Star Trek," and it's being considered more a reimagining than a prequel, the writers of the project revealed in an interview posted today on MTV.com. They also promised that the story will be a starship-based adventure with more action and a bigger budget than any previous "Trek" film.

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci — the two screenwriters who also serve as executive producers — told MTV that "Star Trek" by itself is their intended title. "I don't think we want to put any colons or anything on it," Orci said. This detail about the "Star Trek XI" project is still up in the air, though, where the studio is concerned, and likely to be subject to change until the last minute.

The article contends that Kurtzman and Orci described the film as "not in any way a prequel but a reimagining of the franchise," without quoting them directly saying that. The article does quote Orci as saying, "We're not going to start totally from scratch." But, "We want it to feel like it's updated and of the now. That's actually the discussions we're having now: how to keep the look of the universe yet have it not look like nothing's new. It's tricky."

The writers did promise that this movie will contain more action than any "Trek" film that has preceded it, and said it will have the biggest budget. Apparently Paramount gave them no stipulations and no limits. "They were just like, what would you do with 'Star Trek'?" Orci recalled. "We've been watching [Trek] all our lives. I've even read the books. It was all about, what have I always wanted to see in Trek?"

Orci also said, "The economic models of the other [films] were very much based on the fans out there and their purchasing power. With this one we're going for the broad audience to bring people into Trek for the first time."

Kurtzman added, "The challenge of the movie is to be 100 percent true to the fanbase but also to bring in a whole new group of people who've never seen Trek before."

But they were still mum on the details of the story, or which characters will appear in it, deflecting such questions from the interviewer with a persistent "Who can say?" But they did allow that it will be a starship-based adventure. "I don't know how you make Star Trek without a starship," Orci laughed. "You have to trek through the stars, so you need a ship for that. There, you got something out of us!"

Kurtzman said the same thing about the oft-maligned "technobabble" staple of Trek scripts. "I actually love the technobabble!" Kurtzman said. "I don't think you can do Trek without technobabble."

Without discussing why, Kurtzman and Orci revealed that they and producer J.J. Abrams did recently visit with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. "It was pretty much the most stressful thing ever, but it was wonderful," Kurtzman said. "They were amazing."

While apparently describing the film as a "reimagining," the writers do believe their script adheres to the original vision of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. "Trek, more than anything, has always been about the human interactions," Orci said. "It's all about the human soul."

"And the friendships," Kurtzman added. "And everyone being a family. Whatever the story was, we always knew what it had to feel like."

The pair expressed relief that Abrams decided to direct the movie after reading the very first draft. "When we finally turned in the script I started lining up other directors, and that really got [Abrams] going," Orci joked.

As for other crew members, the article cited Scott Chambliss as production designer and Daniel Mindel as director of photography, who worked with Kurtzman, Orci and Abrams on Alias and "Mission: Impossible III."

On recent rumors regarding casting of key roles, the writer/producers were very coy, only saying things like, "We never said Bones was in it." Kurtzman did admit, "I'm the hugest Matt Damon fan ever. If he became [Kirk], great."

In the full article, Kurtzman and Orci also talk a little about Star Trek: The Next Generation, and what "crazy" fans they are. Read it at this MTV.com link.

from MTV.com website:

'Star Trek' Writers Talk Direction, Technobabble — But Not Matt Damon

If Batman and Superman can be reborn, why not Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock? On Christmas Day 2008, the storied "Star Trek" franchise will begin anew on the big screen, and its creators are almost as ecstatic as the series' famously obsessive fans.

"We just got the green light! We have a release date and everything," said Alex Kurtzman, co-screenwriter of the eagerly anticipated new "Trek" adventure. Kurtzman and collaborator Roberto Orci, who are also executive producers of the project — and veterans of "Transformers" and "Mission: Impossible III" — spoke exclusively to MTV about the film Trekkies and Trekkers alike are salivating for any information on (see "An Open Letter To 'Star Trek' Director J.J. Abrams").

First things first: From the sound of it, fans can rest assured that subtitles about undiscovered countries and insurrections are a thing of the past. Kurtzman and Orci told MTV that their film is titled, quite simply, "Star Trek." "That's the intended title. I don't think we want to put any colons or anything on it," Orci said.

Thus far details have been few and far between on the film, the first since Picard and company starred in the much-maligned 2002 flick "Star Trek: Nemesis." In addition to the 2008 release date Paramount recently announced, it has been confirmed that "Lost" co-creator and "M:i:III" director J.J. Abrams will direct. Orci says he was relieved that Abrams agreed to helm the project after reading the very first draft (recent rumors indicated he would only produce).

"When we finally turned in the script I started lining up other directors, and that really got [Abrams] going," Orci joked. Rumors that the film would center on an early adventure of the crew or even on Kirk and Spock's Starfleet Academy days — unlikely, though no doubt provoked by a long-dormant "Trek" movie idea — have yet to be addressed directly.

While Kurtzman and Orci were reluctant to reveal much about the top-secret film, they did offer some hints. "There will be more action in this movie than any 'Trek' that's preceded it," Kurtzman promised. Orci, without discussing a specific budget, added, "It'll be the biggest one. The economic models of the other [films] were very much based on the fans out there and their purchasing power. With this one we're going for the broad audience to bring people into 'Trek' for the first time."

Indeed, broadening the "Trek" base seems to be foremost on the filmmakers' minds. "The challenge of the movie is to be 100 percent true to the fanbase but also to bring in a whole new group of people who've never seen 'Trek' before," Kurtzman said.

Casting has not yet officially begun on the flick, which is scheduled to film in the fall. The writers won't even confirm which characters appear. ("We never said Bones was in it," Orci seemed to joke.) As for recent rumors that Matt Damon, Adrien Brody and Gary Sinise were being considered to play the storied Kirk, Spock and McCoy trio, the duo were reluctant to spill the beans. Asked if they would be happy if Kirk were played by Damon, a long pause followed. Finally Kurtzman allowed, "I'm the hugest Matt Damon fan ever. If he became [Kirk], great."

The mantra of "Who can say?" became Kurtzman and Orci's standard deflection. Will William Shatner or Leonard Nimoy appear? "Really, who can say?" Is the film, as rumors suggest, focused on Kirk and Spock, with supporting characters relegated to the background? "Really, who can say?" Is the old "Trek" plot device of time travel involved? You can guess the answer: "Really, who can say?"

What they will say, however, is that the film will be a starship-based adventure. "I don't know how you make 'Star Trek' without a starship," Orci laughed. "You have to trek through the stars, so you need a ship for that. There, you got something out of us!"

Orci and Kurtzman also confirmed that the film is not in any way a prequel but a reimagining of the franchise. Whether that means a whole new look for "Trek" remains in question. "We're not going to start totally from scratch," Orci said. "We want it to feel like it's updated and of the now. That's actually the discussions we're having now: how to keep the look of the universe yet have it not look like nothing's new. It's tricky."

The duo added that the same production team that assisted them and Abrams on "Alias" and "M:i:III" will join them for "Star Trek," including production designer Scott Chambliss and director of photography Daniel Mindel.

Of course any "Trek" fan worth his salt knows this is a huge change of direction for the franchise in every respect. Since "Star Trek: The Next Generation" premiered in 1987, the brand has been watched over by vets like Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, neither of whom is involved with the new film. Orci and Kurtzman have nothing but praise for the "Next Generation" years, calling it some of the best writing on television. "We just hope they bless us," Kurtzman said.

Speaking of the old guard, Shatner and Nimoy recently visited with Orci, Kurtzman and Abrams. According to the writers, the meetings went well. "It was pretty much the most stressful thing ever, but it was wonderful," Kurtzman said. "They were amazing."

For the longtime friends and collaborators the "Trek" assignment has been both weighty and exciting. While both claim to be big fans of all things "Trek," Orci clearly is the senior Trekker of the team. "I am a crazy fan," Orci said.

"Here's a frame of reference for you," Kurtzman added. "When I first met Bob, he had an Enterprise phone."

All of which made Paramount's offer of no limits and no stipulations too good to pass up. "They were just like, what would you do with 'Star Trek'?" Orci recalled. "We've been watching ['Trek'] all our lives. I've even read the books. It was all about, what have I always wanted to see in 'Trek'?"

Orci and Kurtzman believe their script adheres to the original vision put forth by creator Gene Roddenberry more than 40 years ago. " 'Trek,' more than anything, has always been about the human interactions," Orci said. "It's all about the human soul."

"And the friendships," Kurtzman added. "And everyone being a family. Whatever the story was, we always knew what it had to feel like."

And if all else failed, there was one "Trek" staple to fall back on. So fear not, fans of photon torpedoes and dilithium crystals, Kurtzman's got your back. "I actually love the technobabble!" he said. "I don't think you can do 'Trek' without technobabble."

Check out everything we've got on "Star Trek."

Visit Movies on MTV.com for more from Hollywood, including news, reviews, interviews and more.

Want trailers? Visit the Trailer
Park for the newest, scariest and funniest coming attractions anywhere.

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:35 am

This should be really interesting.
A movie about young Kirk and young Spock...
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man...
Ben

Postby JakeMIke » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:35 am

Can't wait, can't wait!!
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:22 am

There is a preview of the Star Trek XI movie. Very spooky and to be released May 8, 2009.

The interesting thing is that at the end of the preview, the names of the cast are included:

--John Cho
--Ben Cross
--Bruce Greenwood

Full cast of the movie.

Pics of the cast.

Carlos

olywaguy

Postby jkav » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:04 am

I'm disappointed. I was hoping the next one would be a DS9 movie.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:31 pm

I too have wondered why they haven't done a DS9 movie as well. You would think it would be logical to proceed that way.

Voyager would be harder since in the TV series, they returned home to Earth. If they had continued their trip, there would have been an excuse to do movies for it.

Would be interesting to see Enterprise movies since they ended the series with the foundation of the Federation so they could still do more movies and stories to be told.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:05 pm

I haven't seen many of the movies but I would rather see a DS9 one. It's funny out of all of them I didn't care much for the DS9 saga. I liked Voyager the most.
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:59 am

I first became a fan of Star Trek because of Voyager, and my first celebrity crush was on Tom Paris. But then I caught DS9 in reruns and on DVD, and I really got into it. I liked how the stories were always connected, and how they worked religion and politics into the plots.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:54 pm

Has any of the StarTrek series dealt directly with gayness, without subterfuge or metaphors? Or are they merely keeping pace with present day values the way the old Star Trek and other propaganda shows of their era did?

People don't realize that even Leave it to Beaver was a propaganda show. The goal was to convince women to give up their jobs in the workplace and return to being homemakers after the war. They tried to make June Cleaver's housewife role as glamorous and appealing as possible, but they set the bar too high, so it backfired.

Oh my God! I have just been promoted to Veteran Member...."I want to thank all the "little people" who helped make this all possible".... :cry: ...and my critics and most of all my many many many many fans .... 8) ...it is such an honor and I can't wait to go home and tell everyone in my hometown to kiss my a - - ......Thank you! " :twisted:
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:54 pm

None directly. A few episodes of the newer series touched on it, but never outright. From what I read, Gene Roddenberry wanted to include a gay character in his early plans for DS9, but he died before the show came together. Rick Berman, the guy who took over, wasn't so wild about the idea, and so it never came to be.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:26 pm

If this is supposed to be the future, it is not realistic to not address if there are gay people or if they found a way to change it so it doesn't exist anymore or SOMETHING.

The other thing is, why is it that the majority of people in outer space are white? And that the majority of people from other planets seem to be white too?

Isn't that a bit unrealistic since Earth is really planet Asia and even caucASIANS are part ASIAN, the indigenous people of all the Americas are of Asian descent, and the first man is believed to have been an Asiatic Black man, and the oldest human skeletons we find continually turn out to be Black?

So if Star Trek is supposed to represent the future. Whites would be in the minority not the majority if it is a true reflection of a fair and United planet earth. And if the populations on other planets parallel earth those people would be primarily Asian.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:45 am

I went to see Quantum of Solace this past weekend. Before the movie started they showed some preview and the one for the new Star Trek movie was amazing. It's going to be really good.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby dracuscalico » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Loved the preview too. My understanding is they are trying to make the movies their own enterprise moving forward and distance themselves from the original show. Otherwise it makes no logistical sense for a prequel to have far more advanced technology than the original project.

(going from holographic keyboards and 3d projections as a teenage Kirk to blinking christmas bulbs on a foil covered cardboard box as an adult Kirk, would even insult the intelligence of Jerry Springer guests.) :lol:
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby PhillyAgenda » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:40 pm

I never had much interest in Star Trek. The Star Wars movies were my favorites as a kid.

But this looks promising. I did enjoy First Contact quite a bit though. And I'm sure I'll be seeing this one in the theater.
PhillyAgenda

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:57 pm

dracuscalico wrote:
(going from holographic keyboards and 3d projections as a teenage Kirk to blinking christmas bulbs on a foil covered cardboard box as an adult Kirk, would even insult the intelligence of Jerry Springer guests.) :lol:

LOL yeah... what kind of tech-leap happened between those 20-something years? ... They went retro! Makes perfect sense, happens all the time! :lol:
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man...
Ben

Postby olywaguy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:18 am

dracuscalico wrote:Has any of the StarTrek series dealt directly with gayness, without subterfuge or metaphors? Or are they merely keeping pace with present day values the way the old Star Trek and other propaganda shows of their era did?

Well Drac, there seems to be a Star Trek online fan series called Star Trek: New Voyages that takes place during the Kirk era. Their latest episode, Blood and Fire, features two gay characters. One of them is Capt. Kirk's nephew. :D There is cuddling and kissing and talk of marriage.

The episode was written by the same guy who wrote The Trouble with Tribbles. He also worked in TNG and had submitted a script that featured gay characters but it seems like the studio nixed it. He ended up leaving TNG because of it. The script for Blood and Fire is based on the script he made for TNG. Read the article Star Trek's Gay Episode Finally Gets Made.

Believe it or not, it is very well made. They've duplicated the costumes, sets, special effects remarkably well. Of course, different actors playing the classic roles. Some of them actually look like the original characters.
The episode is a two parter. Still haven't seen part two yet. The guy who plays Kirk's nephew reminds me of Peter Barton from The Powers of Matthew Star...very cute indeed.

Now, is Kirk's nephew a top or bottom? Tune in to find out. :D
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby jkav » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:21 pm

olywaguy wrote:Well Drac, there seems to be a Star Trek online fan series called Star Trek: New Voyages that takes place during the Kirk era. Their latest episode...

I downloaded it this weekend and I really enjoyed it. It was very much in the spirit of the original, but didn't take itself too seriously. I hope the conclusion to part one comes along soon, if for no other reason than to see Denise Crosby.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue May 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Well, the new Star Trek is almost here...3 more days!!

I can't wait to see it.

Turns out that Chris Pine (Kirk) is the son of actor Robert Pine (1970's series CHIPS...he played the Captain on the show).

Chris Pine

...and his dad Robert Pine in CHIPS (California Highway Patrol)

Robert Pine today
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby njguy5 » Thu May 07, 2009 6:41 am

I have tickets to see the movie at 9:30p tonight in Atlantic City. Can't wait.
My Dad always told me..."If you want the truth, follow the money."
njguy5

Postby olywaguy » Sat May 09, 2009 2:11 pm

I went last night with a friend and it was a lot of fun. The place was almost full.

The movie was amazing...a lot of action scenes, a different slant on the characters, and a lot of sense of humor as well. I think the humor is what's going to make it a big hit. Yet, there is enough inside info and references to other Star Trek movies and series that Trek fans will get and enjoy. You can later tell your non-Trek fans about it and hopefully make them want to see the other movies and series.

I definitely will watch it again!! One of the theaters in town has it on IMAX but they charge $ 14.75 for the ticket...for one person!!

This would be a great IMAX movie however.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby doctor dan » Sat May 09, 2009 10:01 pm

saw it at IMAX today. it was good, decent story with very good fx. the only henky part for me is the use of time travel as well as the spock-spock interaction at the end.

the uhuru-spock dynamic is a little skeezy. winona ryder as spock's mother is strange but well done. overall a good movie. and carlos is right -- it was a great IMAX movie.
doctor dan

Postby charmcitywop » Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Well, great in IMAX unless you're in the front row! We went on Fri, but dinner took longer than we expected so we ran in long after they opened the doors and missed the first several minutes.

I'm not a big fan, but I really enjoyed the movie. You definitely don't have to be a hardcore Trekkie to see it.

We are going to see it again since some of the action sequences were difficult to watch that close up. Plus I don't really understand the timeline (and Jonathan is tired of trying to explain it to me!) so maybe I'll get it after I see it again.
I ain't as good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was

myspace.com/charmcityvince
charmcitywop

Postby Cajun » Sun May 10, 2009 4:28 pm

charmcitywop wrote:......so maybe I'll get it after I see it again.

Hint hint - leave the light ON for improved "visibility" - HEHE :P
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby olywaguy » Sun May 10, 2009 10:57 pm

The first time I saw it on Friday, I was with some friends and we sat on the fourth row or so. Then on Saturday, I went to see it again with another friend and sat on the last row at the top under the projection booth.

I think it had more impact for me from the fourth row. Everything was coming right at you and was bigger than life. Chris Pine's blue eyes were as big as basketballs from that point of view.

Now, I am considering watching it in IMAX and see how it will look.

So, sit up front for greater impact!!
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby jkav » Sun May 10, 2009 10:59 pm

I'm trying to talk my friend into going with me, but I have to unused movie passes that I'd like to cash in, so I'll have to wait a couple weeks.
jkav
Veteran Member

Next

Return to That's Entertainment