Great Quotes...

Discuss movies, music, books, events, parties, StraightActing get togethers and other entertaining things inside here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, batty, charmcitywop

Great Quotes...

Postby nimby » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:29 pm

We all come accross passages in books, poems or songs that really hit home for us. I found one recently that I'd like to share. Please feel free to do the same.

"It is not the alienness of the homoerotic that sets some straight men's nerves on edge; it is it's very familiarity. Men can only learn to be men from other men, in a pedagogy as intimate and tender as the bond between lovers. That day in front of the mirror was one of my earliest inklings that I could be one initiating another into the masculine rites.

That day also taught me something about my own masculinity. It opened up the prospect that I, who grew up a notorious sissy, might grow into that manhood that all men seek in one another, gay or straight. Age, that capricious conjurer, bestower of breasts on grizzled old men, might also confer masculinity on those men who have learned to live without it, as their mildness mellows into quiet authority. A gentle boy is called a sissy. A gentle man is called... a gentleman."

Tying the Knot
by Robin Metcalfe
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Re: Great Quotes...

Postby Phoenix6570 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:18 pm

I found two quotes today from the Dalai Lamas instructions for life.

"Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time."

"Follow the three R's: Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions."
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:49 pm

I found a couple of quotes on character today that I really enjoyed...

"The measure of a man’s real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out." – Thomas B Macaulay

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." – James D. Miles

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power" – Abraham Lincoln
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:03 pm

In honor of President Ronald Reagan (born 100 years ago on Feb 6th);

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first".
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:17 pm

“It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.”–Ralph Waldo Emerson

“If you think your boss is stupid, remember: you wouldn’t have a job if he was any smarter.”–Albert A. Grant
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:01 am

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for – in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

~ Ellen Goodman
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Return to That's Entertainment