Penn State Sex Scandal

Whether it's talk about the court, the turf, the field, or the guys running around on any of these, this is the place to talk sports.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby catapult » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Whaddya think about this?

I get the impression that folks out there think that a gay man is more likely to be a pedophile than a straight man. Any stats?

Do you think all men straight and gay get aroused or at least titillated at the thought of sex with a young boy or girl, but most have enough self-control to not act on it? Girls' Gymnastics is the most popular Olympic Event. I don't think it is for the actual events, but more for the little girls in tights.

Ever see the movie, "Doubt"? Great movie, especially if you went to Catholic school like I did. Anyway, the Boy's Mother's reaction to finding out that the Priest may have had some physical contact with her son was amazing.

People go nuts about these pedophiles and it is certainly wrong but what about child abuse and spousal abuse? That is so much worse. Some kids and spouses getting beaten, bloodied and bruised daily! And incest. Girls getting raped regularly by their fathers! Geez, I'd rather have the kid with a loving pedophile! At least a non-violent one. Obviously the age difference and the overpowering oppression of the pedophile is very damaging and I'm certainly not trying to make it sound okay. Just relatively speaking.
User avatar
catapult
Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:36 am

The saddest thing about it was people were willing to riot in the streets because a coach got fired. Who the hell cares about young men being sexually abused by people in power? :roll:
A hard man is good to find!
User avatar
Earl Butz
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:51 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby olywaguy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 am

Why has Joe Paterno been fired? He reported the sex abuse in a timely manner like he is supposed to. It was his higher ups that dropped the ball and sure enough they are being prosecuted. The reason we know about this scandal in the first place is because Paterno reported it. There seems to be a lot of guilt by association.

But, you are right in the fact that we need to concentrate on the victims and see how they are doing right now.

A CBS News article details what happened to all eight victims concentrating on Victim 1.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul


http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
User avatar
olywaguy
Moderator
 
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:08 pm
Location: Tupelo, Mississippi

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby catapult » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:44 am

olywaguy wrote:Why has Joe Paterno been fired? He reported the sex abuse in a timely manner like he is supposed to. It was his higher ups that dropped the ball and sure enough they are being prosecuted. The reason we know about this scandal in the first place is because Paterno reported it. There seems to be a lot of guilt by association.

But, you are right in the fact that we need to concentrate on the victims and see how they are doing right now.

A CBS News article details what happened to all eight victims concentrating on Victim 1.


Joe does get credit for initially doing the right thing. He reported it to the Athletic Director and the University President the very next day. But then when they did nothing and didn't report it to the police, Joe went along with the cover-up for 10+ years while the pedophile continued to prowl around the University! It seems as though Paterno never even confronted the guy who was his assistant coach and friend to insist he stop and get help. To allow the abuses to continue and more and more boys be scarred for life is certainly worth getting fired for.
User avatar
catapult
Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby madsglen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:32 pm

I'll second that. I had a whole response rattling around in my head but have decided to forego the rant I had going. There will be more sordid details to come out, of course, but ultimately those with knowledge of the chain of events and potential cover-up will pay in some way. For someone in such a position of power at the university to continue to allow Sandusky access to university facilities after such a report is reprehensible. If nothing else, everyone who's been indentified thus far is guilty of some serious moral failings even if it's not considered a criminal act. We don't "know about this because Paterno reported it". We know about it because someone else (an accuser/victim) came forward and that prompted an investigation. Outside the university. Had that not happened...
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
User avatar
madsglen
Member
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:40 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby nimby » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:55 pm

My only question is why the f**k didn't Mike Mcquery Stop the rape when he walked in on it? Why didn't he rescue the boy and call the police right there and then?

Ya know, at one time it was usually men (both gay and straight) who were child molesters, but more and more women are being found out too. Linda Lusk for example. But hers was an interesting case. She "molested" a 14/yo boy, a boy who could easily pass for 19, and by his own admission, instigated and "throughly enjoyed the encounter". His only regret, he said, was telling his friends.

Now I know many guys have sexual experiences at 14, some with much older people. Though I know it is illegal, if two minors play together, what's the guidelines there? How often do boys have their first sexual experience (not talking about forced rape here) with older people and I wonder how they feel about it. Do they feel molested or pleasured?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby catapult » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Even if McQueary stopped it, events may have unfolded just the same.

Sandusky was a legend and a big man himself, so McQueary was shocked and didn't respond like a Super Hero at the spur of the moment.

The question is why did they do nothing for 10+ years?!

It may come out that there were more and even bigger men involved in this scandal who they were covering up for.

The DA who first looked into it disappeared from the face of the earth along with his computer hard drive in 2005.

There is a rumor from the reporter who first brought out this story that Sandusky may have been pimping the boys out to other Penn State Boosters.
User avatar
catapult
Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby nimby » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 pm

How could events remained the same? If Mcquery stopped the rape and called the police right there and then (like any normal person would have), the event would have ended. Mcquery has a lot to be responsible for.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby catapult » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:14 pm

He did report it to Paterno. If he stopped the rape, that is no guarantee he would report it to the police. But maybe with that greater resolve on his part, he would have taken it further.

McQueary does NOT have any more responsibility than anyone else who knew it and covered it up for 10 years. In fact, given his lowly position, he has less. It was not up to a grad assistant to take care of this. It was up to Paterno, the Athletic Director, the Friggin' University President or at the least, McQueary's father to take it from there.
User avatar
catapult
Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby nimby » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Mcquery saw first hand a child being raped. He was twenty feet away. He saw a violent crime being comitted. He was morally and legally obligated to notify the proper authorities. That means the legal authorities, not his employment superiors. End of story. He did not do that and thus will be dealt with accordingly. But for now he is being put into protective custody because he is a material witness and will be required to testify. Then he will be hung out to dry, and rightly so.

If you saw someone purposefully rundown on the street, would you tell your bos or call the authorities?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby catapult » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:05 pm

nimby wrote:Mcquery saw first hand a child being raped. He was twenty feet away. He saw a violent crime being comitted. He was morally and legally obligated to notify the proper authorities. That means the legal authorities, not his employment superiors. End of story. He did not do that and thus will be dealt with accordingly. But for now he is being put into protective custody because he is a material witness and will be required to testify. Then he will be hung out to dry, and rightly so.

If you saw someone purposefully rundown on the street, would you tell your bos or call the authorities?


I hear ya' nimby, but the legal experts have already said McQueary is in the clear - legally. And especially with his recent cooperation and testimony. Even JoePa is in the clear legally, unless something more comes out.
User avatar
catapult
Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby nimby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:02 am

Now I'm not familiar with the laws there, but in Canada it is a crime for a first hand witness to not report a felony in progress.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby Rico » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:11 am

nimby wrote:Mcquery saw first hand a child being raped. He was twenty feet away. He saw a violent crime being comitted. He was morally and legally obligated to notify the proper authorities. That means the legal authorities, not his employment superiors. End of story. He did not do that and thus will be dealt with accordingly. But for now he is being put into protective custody because he is a material witness and will be required to testify. Then he will be hung out to dry, and rightly so.

If you saw someone purposefully rundown on the street, would you tell your bos or call the authorities?

That makes perfect sense and it's the way I hope I would react in such a situation. Unfortunately and for whatever reason, that's not the way humans tend to react. Some call the phenomenon the "diffusion of responsibility." A lot of people around seeming to be aware of something bad going on, and thinking it is someone else's responsibility to do something. Even if they report it up the line, by the time it gets to the top, the information is so skewed and watered down, the people may not have understood the seriousness of it all. I don't know if that was the situation at Penn State, but it seems likely.

It's all much like the "by-stander" syndrome observed over and over in human behavior. Despite what we say we'd do when confronted with certain situations, we most often don't act that way. In this case, it's so sad for the children involved.

As far as Sandusky, I suspect right now he's contemplating a Drano cocktail...which many people would glady serve up.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
User avatar
Rico
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Location: Baltimore-Washington

Postby Rico » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:39 pm

nimby wrote:Now I'm not familiar with the laws there, but in Canada it is a crime for a first hand witness to not report a felony in progress.

According to the latest, McQueary did the bare minimum required by law at the time in such cases. As far as his "moral" responsibility, that's another story. He has no defense whatsoever IMNSHO.

The governor and state legislature went on record today and expect to change those laws over the next couple of weeks. As with many laws in the U.S., they vary widely from state to state. It's a crap shoot here.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
User avatar
Rico
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Location: Baltimore-Washington

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby nimby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Rico wrote:That makes perfect sense and it's the way I hope I would react in such a situation. Unfortunately and for whatever reason, that's not the way humans tend to react. Some call the phenomenon the "diffusion of responsibility." A lot of people around seeming to be aware of something bad going on, and thinking it is someone else's responsibility to do something. Even if they report it up the line, by the time it gets to the top, the information is so skewed and watered down, the people may not have understood the seriousness of it all. I don't know if that was the situation at Penn State, but it seems likely.

It's all much like the "by-stander" syndrome observed over and over in human behavior. Despite what we say we'd do when confronted with certain situations, we most often don't act that way. In this case, it's so sad for the children involved.

As far as Sandusky, I suspect right now he's contemplating a Drano cocktail...which many people would glady serve up.

The only thing wrong with the "diffusion of responsibility" theory is that there was no one else around, just the victim, the perp and the eye witness. No one to diffuse the responsibility with. No, Mcquery "fell down" in the most heinous way. He is being protected now because he is the only material witness. But he will be prosecuted. And God forbid that the father of that poor boy doesn't get to him first. Just imagine. If I found out that someone witnessed the rape of my nine year old daughter and didn't try to stop it, or at least call 911 anonymously, and I found out who that person was. I would tear him apart with my bare hands. It would be my main goal in life to make him suffer and grieve for the rest of his days.

No, I cannot believe that the law would let Mcquery get away with it.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby Rico » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:09 pm

nimby wrote:
Rico wrote:That makes perfect sense and it's the way I hope I would react in such a situation. Unfortunately and for whatever reason, that's not the way humans tend to react. Some call the phenomenon the "diffusion of responsibility." A lot of people around seeming to be aware of something bad going on, and thinking it is someone else's responsibility to do something. Even if they report it up the line, by the time it gets to the top, the information is so skewed and watered down, the people may not have understood the seriousness of it all. I don't know if that was the situation at Penn State, but it seems likely.

It's all much like the "by-stander" syndrome observed over and over in human behavior. Despite what we say we'd do when confronted with certain situations, we most often don't act that way. In this case, it's so sad for the children involved.

As far as Sandusky, I suspect right now he's contemplating a Drano cocktail...which many people would glady serve up.

The only thing wrong with the "diffusion of responsibility" theory is that there was no one else around, just the victim, the perp and the eye witness. No one to diffuse the responsibility with. No, Mcquery "fell down" in the most heinous way. He is being protected now because he is the only material witness. But he will be prosecuted. And God forbid that the father of that poor boy doesn't get to him first. Just imagine. If I found out that someone witnessed the rape of my nine year old daughter and didn't try to stop it, or at least call 911 anonymously, and I found out who that person was. I would tear him apart with my bare hands. It would be my main goal in life to make him suffer and grieve for the rest of his days.

No, I cannot believe that the law would let Mcquery get away with it.


Read the post below it. McQueary won't get away with anything. Regardless of what the ultimate charges and penalties are against him, he'll have to live with his inaction for the rest of his life. As far as not going after him now, and the state risking the possibly losing a key witness to the more serious crime, then welcome to the real world. It happens every damn day in the criminal justice system.

Imagine this scenario: Someone violently rapes a child and there is one credible eye-witness who didn't do anything to stop it, but reported it. An outraged father kills the witness. The rapist goes free because there is no witness. The father goes on trial for murder and is convicted. Is that a more just outcome? How would you feel in that situation?
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
User avatar
Rico
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Location: Baltimore-Washington

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby nimby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:38 pm

Rico wrote:Read the post below it. McQueary won't get away with anything. Regardless of what the ultimate charges and penalties are against him, he'll have to live with his inaction for the rest of his life. As far as not going after him now, and the state risking the possibly losing a key witness to the more serious crime, then welcome to the real world. It happens every damn day in the criminal justice system.

Imagine this scenario: Someone violently rapes a child and there is one credible eye-witness who didn't do anything to stop it, but reported it. An outraged father kills the witness. The rapist goes free because there is no witness. The father goes on trial for murder and is convicted. Is that a more just outcome? How would you feel in that situation?

Mcquery has lived with himself just fine for the past ten years. I bet he'd have continued to do so indefinitely if this wasn't brought to light, just like every other administrator there. I'm beginning to think that this is more about lost careers, scholastic reputations, winningist football teams and ultimately $$ than children being raped. Your criminal justice system has turned a blind eye to much lesser offences. I do know how "it" and the real world works, thank you. But I don't get it. You're talking prosecution after a decade of abuse comes to a screetching halt and all the fat cat administration finger pointing begins. I'm talking about preventing a decade of violent rape against children at the start.

Rico, you scenario shouldn't even see the light of day. How about this one... Ten years ago a man walks into a shower and witnesses a child being raped. He confronts the perp, rescues the child and immediately calls 911 to report the incident. The perp is arrested on the spot and the child gets much needed medical and psychological attention. There is no need now to rely on the school's multi tiered chain of command. The prosecution still has it's material witness and everyone's reputration, careers and winningise games record remain intact (except for the paedophile). Best of all, 10 years of sexual abuse against umpteen innocent children is prevented. If that were the scenario, and I were the child's father, I would be the first to shake the man's hand and pin a medal on his chest. I'm sure the rest of the town would follow, no?

That's how it should go and does go, every damn day, in every city on the planet that doesn't put careers and reputations and money before their childrens' well being. That's how the normal world works. Which scenario would you prefer Rico?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby Rico » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:09 am

nimby wrote:That's how it should go and does go, every damn day, in every city on the planet that doesn't put careers and reputations and money before their childrens' well being. That's how the normal world works. Which scenario would you prefer Rico?

Hey! I think we're on the same side of this one. The only difference might be where to put the focus...past or present. Nobody can undo what was done and the harm that was done to so many children. We can only hope that the criminal justice system works, that the guilty will be punished (yes, even McCleary and all of the other school officials involved in the coverup), and that all the attention this case brings will strengthen laws about reporting such crimes to authorities, but more importantly, prevent them from occurring in the first place.

Also, I don't think Sandusky should be out on $100,000 bail. (And the news broke today that the judge who released him was a volunteer for his foundation, and she didn't recuse herself! Add that to the list of what's wrong with all of this and another thing that needs investigated.)

As far as how the "normal world" works in terms of protecting the well-being of children, I wish you were right. In the last decade, an estimated 2 million children have died in wars, and an estimated 250,000 were forced to participate in fighting. Add to that the general plight of children around the world ranging from daily hunger to forced labor to being victims of all sorts of heinous crimes like the abuse at Penn State....it's all almost too ugly to contemplate.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
User avatar
Rico
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Location: Baltimore-Washington

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby catapult » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:52 am

McQueary didn't fail to act on the spot because he wanted to save his reputation, or because of money. I'm afraid he failed due to cowardice. And then he started to do the right thing be immediately reporting it to his father and the most powerful person at the University and the man responsible for Sandusky - Joe Paterno. So, after an immediate act of cowardice, he started down the right road, but then became as guilty as the rest, including his father.

I'm not so sure all the people who boldly claim they would have saved the kid and kicked the crap out of Sandusky actually would have. Sandusky was a legend and is a big guy and a tough guy, not some wimpy, old pedophile. How many students or even adults really would have acted on the spot? He might have knocked McQueary out. An adult janitor also failed to act.

Everyone who is aghast at this, should pledge to do something about the child and spousal abuse that goes on every day. Thousands of children get beaten badly and raped by their very own parents every day! They would be better off with Jerry Sandusky! Thousands of women get beaten badly by their husbands daily. Even a drunken driver does more harm than a pedophile. Drunken drivers kill and maim tens of thousands of innocent people every year! Where's our outrage for these "monsters."

Just trying to put our outrage into perspective. It's like when a plane goes down, it's a huge tragedy and we get all worked up emotionally about it, but so many more people die needlessly on the highways, in wars, from starvation and from tobacco, drugs and alcohol.
User avatar
catapult
Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby nimby » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Well, I guess you're right, it can be worse. But at least someone called the police... :(

Ashley Jessup, Ohio Mom, Accused Of Raping 10-Month-Old Son


Ashley Jessup is charged with raping her 10-month-old son and sharing the videotaped assault with her boyfriend.

A 24-year-old Ohio woman charged with raping her 10-month-old son and sharing the videotaped assault with her boyfriend is being held behind bars tonight on a $1 million bond.

Ashley Jessup of Dublin, a city about 20 miles northwest of Columbus, was arrested on Aug. 31 on two counts of rape of a child under 13 years old, one count of endangering children and one count of pandering sexually-oriented matter involving a minor.

A Franklin County grand jury indicted Jessup on the charges. She is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday.



http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/0 ... 56125.html
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby catapult » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:45 am

McQueary now saying he stopped it.

“I didn’t just turn and run,” McQueary says in the e-mail. “I made sure it stopped … I had to make quick, tough decisions.”
User avatar
catapult
Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Penn State Sex Scandal

Postby nimby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:48 pm

Of course he is. He's getting death threats now. I hardly think that's a detailn you'd forget during a Grand Jury inquiry. Liars, the whole bunch.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
User avatar
nimby
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Toronto, ON


Return to Sporting Life

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron