Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Whether it's talk about the court, the turf, the field, or the guys running around on any of these, this is the place to talk sports.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Postby olywaguy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:18 am

Is there anybody (especially our Canadian) friends who will be attending the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics?

You can still find tickets here in the U.S.

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:56 am

We couldn't even get tickets for the Calgary Olympics. grrrr

Well good tickets. We did get ski jumping tickets, and man that was a disappointment. There were about a million people there...we couldn't even get near the place! They only cost $20 or something but even that was a rip off.

Oh well. It's still fun to watch it on the tee vee.... :?
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:24 am

I lived in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Olympics, and the organizing committee gave tickets to all the high schools in the area so the students could attend events for free. My history teacher's wife is from Norway, and she was able to get us into this hang-out where only Norwegians were allowed. They had smoked nuts.

For a city like Salt Lake, it was awesome to host so many people from so many countries. I remember being disappointed during the 2006 Olympics, since watching it on TV is definitely not the same as having them six blocks from your house.

I wish I could attend another one. The IOC will decide later this year if Chicago will host the 2016 summer games. Keep your fingers crossed.
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:25 am

Norwegians have smoked nuts? Wow. Kinky. :P
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Postby DeckApe » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:17 pm

*snort!* :lol:

And now, we're gearing up fro an "El Nino" winter--warmer, and drier. I hear rumor VANOC is already securing snow-making equipment...
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby backpacker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:58 pm

DeckApe wrote:*snort!* :lol:

And now, we're gearing up fro an "El Nino" winter--warmer, and drier. I hear rumor VANOC is already securing snow-making equipment...

Maybe I'll eat these words later but I am becoming more skeptical about the whole el nino, la nina thing. Yeah the Pacific water is warmer than normal and cooler than normal i'll give them that but the same conditions don't happen each time these phenomena are occuring. Sometimes it's El nino and we are warm all winter, and sometimes is cold all winter. I think it has more to do with cycles which if looked at over time show alternating periods of warmer seasons, cooler seasons. Weather tends to follow established patterns for awhile then change, sometimes the change occurs during the winter and it ends up being warm here but on the other side of the globe its really cold, in other words it balances itself out.
backpacker

Postby batty » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:13 pm

Vancouverites have about a billion reasons to be mad at the Olympics and wish they would never happen. After the initial excitement and the ensuing disappointment, the consensus is now that it is an expensive elite private party on taxpayer's money. At least we will keep an extra subway line to airport and downtown and a 4-lane highway to Whistler (neither of which would've happened otherwise). 6 months to go and the homeless and/or drug addicts "issue" still hasn't been addressed, but hey they have bigger things to worry about now that a mild winter is forecast, ha!

I live 4 blocks from one of the Olympic venues... but will be working throughout, so I won't go to any event (notwithstanding that the Canadian tickets sold out loooong ago and that I wasn't willing to pay through the nose for the tickets).

I've made peace with "2010" (the OG). So what about the road closures in the neighbourhood? the commute from hell and all the other catastrophic scenarios? This will only happen once in my lifetime (I "missed" the games in Montreal), unless I relocate to Toronto when they get the games a few decades from now!
batty

Postby chidiver » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:24 pm

I am happy that Chicago is so delightfully misshandling their 2016 bid that there is little chance of us getting the games.
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:44 am

It is kind of a silly waste of money. The opening ceremonies are always way overdone. A 4 lane highway to Whistler....wow. I bet the homeless will get alot of use out of that. :roll:

Except for the figure skating, the sports are a bit of a bore as well. Cross country skiing? Luge? Hockey? Yawn. Yup. It's a big party for rich snobs and jocks, and Joe Taxpayer picks up the bill. As usual.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:44 am

Gee the guy who got Vancouver the Olympics died the other day.

In the first Olympics, only men were allowed to compete. The men were naked, and covered in olive oil. I think sometimes the old ways are best. :mrgreen:
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:30 am

Earl Butz wrote:
In the first Olympics, only men were allowed to compete. The men were naked, and covered in olive oil. I think sometimes the old ways are best. :mrgreen:

Now those Olympics I would gladly pay to go see :shock: .
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:11 pm

Earl Butz wrote:Gee the guy who got Vancouver the Olympics died the other day.

Now if the Olympics were still like that I would have started training from day one to compete in them. What a thrill that would've been. My event of choice would definitely be wrestling.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:51 am

The opening ceremonies are tomorrow and I'm so excited I'm ready to burst!!! I love the olympics. I have such admiration for all the athletes, and to be able to watch their life's work come to fruition is such a thrill. I really do believe that they are all winners!!! Best of luck to all Nations!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP9IQuz-jlk

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:57 am

Time certainly flown...the Vancouver Olympics opening ceremonies will be tomorrow night. Should be quite exciting and fun. I know at least a couple of people who will be going to Vancouver during the Olympics but not necessarily to see an event. There's the possibility of seeing superstar athletes walking around downtown Vancouver for sure...maybe an opportunity to hookup with any of the gay athletes. :P

Participating countries you don't normally associate with winter sports that will be participating in Vancouver include:

--The Cayman Islands
--Bermuda
--Puerto Rico

Jamaica has been participating for quite a while now and Mexico does have snowy mountains. The above three really stick out though.

I am hoping CBC will have Olympics coverage since I'd rather watch it via a Canadian channel rather than from NBC.

So, are any of you Vancouverites renting out rooms in your place during this very capitalistic opportunity?
Last edited by olywaguy on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby nimby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:06 am

CTV is the official sponsor and will do an amazing job of coverage. Do you get ctv there?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 am

nimby wrote:CTV is the official sponsor and will do an amazing job of coverage. Do you get ctv there?

Unfortunately, no. :(
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby olywaguy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:34 am

Washington State is sending 11 athletes to the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics:

Will Brandenburg, 23, Alpine Skiing, from Spokane, WA

Holly Brooks, 27, Cross Country Skiing, from Seattle, WA

J.R. Celski, 19, Short-Track Speed Skating, from Federal Way

Patrick Deneen, 22, Moguls, from Cle Elum, WA

Nicole Joraanstad, 29, Curling, from Kent, WA

Torin Koos, 29, Cross Country Skiing, from Leavenworth, WA

Apolo Ohno, 27, Short-Track Speed Skating, from Federal Way, WA

Christian Niccum, 32, Luge, from Woodinville, WA

Bree Schaaf, 29, Bobsled, from Bremerton, WA

Jeremy Teela, 33, Biathlon from Tonasket, WA

Karen Thatcher, 25, Hockey, from Blaine, WA
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:08 am

Nice opening ceremony. Too bad about the luge guy. What's up with the unpadded steel posts right beside the track? I saw the 2 second clip of his death and it was not pretty. I never even drive my car 130 km/hr....I think going that fast on a sled is a bit ridiculous. :?
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:17 am

I almost never watch the opening ceremonies but watched this one last night. It was a great show, made even better because I was able to watch and share the experience with friends. The whole experience left me with a nice, warm feeling inside. Canadians must feel extremely proud today.

Now I'm looking forward to the events....especially hockey.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:41 am

Yes, I thought they did a wonderful job!!! The Native influence was absolutely perfect. Just that the horrible tragedy did put a bit of a downer on the whole event. Earl, I agree that their should have been some sort of shield up to guard against an incident just like that. How shocking it was. But the acknowledgement of his passing was very subtly done. Rico, these events are always more enjoyable when shared with good friends. I'm sure they enjoyed your company too.

Bravo Canada. I'm so proud!!!!!
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 pm

The opening ceremonies were wonderful. I really liked the fact that the aboriginal influence was so central to the show. Those amazing special effects on the floor. That kid flying through the air...gosh, I would be throwing up...LOL. Having four people light the torch was a great idea with Gretzky being among them.

I really liked those violin playing/tap dancing guys. Wow, that was tough!! Each area of the country being represented. It was hard to believe that everything was being done indoors. It didn't seem that way at all.

The only part that I am stuck with is that I can only see the Olympics on NBC networks and not on any of the Canadian channels. I would've seen a lot more coverage of the events than I am doing now. There are about 5 or 6 NBC networks covering it and only CNBC is showing women's hockey (Sweden v. Switzerland) right now. I wanted to be flooded with sports.

Great show Canada!!!
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:17 pm

There was a bit of a gaffe at the end lighting the torch....it wouldn't come up out of the floor. Then they sent Gretzky out in the rain to light the real torch. That was a bit clumsy looking too.

But yeah the show was excellent....I taped it so I can watch the good parts tonight. I didn't want to sit through the parade of nations so I went shopping last night instead. :P
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Dale Begg-Smith is a looser!!!!!

I've never seen such a suck in my life. He came in second in the moguls and couldn't even crack a smile. What a poor sport. Plus he was born Canadian, yet since moving to Australia at 14, now bashes Canada at every chance he gets and wants nothing to do with us. I don't personally care how he feels, but have some class pal.

I'm so glad we stole his gold!!! He doesn't deserve it. The true champ, Alexandre Bilodeau (and his awesome brother Frederic) won!!! Rock on guys!!!!!
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Apparently, the animosity towards Begg-Smith that i heard about on TV was having to do with the fact that he wanted to spend time working both on his company and on skiing and Canada wouldn't allow him to do both. But, if he grew up in Australia and considers it his home, then so be it. You can't be angry about that.

I moved to the U.S. when I was 14 years old and I consider it my home now.I've only been back to Honduras once since then and that was just a couple of years ago.

There is obviously some anger on both sides. You must agree to disagree.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Oh that's why he looked so sad when he got his medal. The other two guys were all smiles and he looked like he just swallowed a lemon. :P

Loved the women's hockey game we won 18-0 over Slovakia. The suspense had me glued to my seat. :mrgreen:
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Sporting Life