martial arts getting watered down

Whether it's talk about the court, the turf, the field, or the guys running around on any of these, this is the place to talk sports.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

martial arts getting too watered down?

I'd answer, but i have to chop down a tree with my hands
25%
nah, tai-cardio-kick-bo is as real as any martial art
25%
a simple answer, there is not.
50%

Total votes : 4

martial arts getting watered down

Postby garou » Thu May 19, 2005 1:14 pm

so after a couple of months of not practicing i've finally slapped myself upside my metaphorical head and started using the aerobics studio at the local gym to start practicing my kung fu. i've been away from it for a while but watching 'kung-fu hustle' got the passsion back.

not that there's a lot of passion when you;re doing your stances! mostly just ignoring the discomfort. but pain is proof that you are alive. :wink:

currently my sifu is out of province so it's partly why i haven't been practicing (nobody to hit me with a cane) i've looked at some of the other martial arts schools that are arround and haven't found many that make the cut for me. too many of them seem to be about... martial sports shall we say? they's been trimming down their techniques for what is allowable in their tournaments (ie it's easy to hit them in the pills because you're not SUPPOSED to hit them there, not that i would be so mean)
either that or martial art schools are turning into day-cares, yeek!

what do you guys think? are martial arts getting tamed by market demographics? sure more people are getting into them, but if it's watered down is that a good thing?
is your martial art an important part of your life?
garou

Postby devilnuts » Thu May 19, 2005 7:57 pm

Ummm...why does it bother you so much? Shouldn't you be focusing inward instead of outward? LOL...

Okay, I've noticed that, but I say, screw it. I had a big problem with the Marine Corps going to a martial arts hand to hand combat system because they are only teaching one half of martial arts. They are only teaching the movements, they aren't teaching the spiritual/mental/metaphysical aspects of the artform.

That said, I still do T'ai Chi forms when I am motivated enough to. I know...that's not 'real' martial arts. Well, they are all legitimate forms/moves, just done much slower with more focus. It's amazing how much you can actually acheive spending only six minutes doing a form. I notice how much clearer, energized, organized I feel afterward. But I also take the energy aspect of it seriously...
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby garou » Fri May 20, 2005 11:01 pm

well, putting the spiritual aspects of the martial arts aside, i'm just feel that many of the dojo's and whatnot are teaching martial arts with growing holes in the techniques because certain moves aren't allowed in competitions. (ie no kicking below the belt, no foot sweeps, no grappling allowed) hence when i said 'martial sport', like tae kwon do; sure they can get you fit, but their usefullness in a streetfight is questionable.

i guess part of my rant is much like bruce lee's beef with established kung fu orthodoxy many years ago. i guess great minds thing alike :wink: oooooh i'm sooooo humble! (i'm no bruce lee, he'd slap me around like a red-hairred step child)

the martial sport. sure they learn big pretty spinning kicks to get their belt colours, but when it comes to go time... front kick, front kick, side kick, front kick. i've humbled more tae kwon do people with a simple block and sweep than is fit. the first words out of their mouth "you're not supposed to do that!"

i suppose it doesn't really matter, i should just center and go back to doing my thing and humble any of these fools who would dare to compare my art to theirs! ooooh, classic chop-suey dialog there! :lol:

it's just that when looking for a supplement to what i allready know, i am appalled at how much some things have slid. sure there are a few bad dojo's but i've begun to wonder if there is a systemic error in the matrix, hence the poll.

"let us see if your so-called tiger-crane is a match for my eagle's claw!" 8)
garou

Postby solat » Sat May 21, 2005 8:02 pm

I do Tae Kwon Do but don't belong to any club. From what I understand, it's too political over here and and you get tied up with looking good rather than getting stuck in.
And if I joined up, I'd have to start at the beginning - my years of doing it would count for nothing. So I just train with a friend who's a 2nd Dan.
Plus, I don't like the bowing to people thing. I'd rather do the flying through the air and whacking stuff.
solat

Postby Beamer » Sat May 21, 2005 8:23 pm

solat wrote:... flying through the air and whacking stuff.

Something about that sounds... hmmm... heh heh :twisted:
Beamer

Postby garou » Sun May 22, 2005 1:01 pm

solat wrote:And if I joined up, I'd have to start at the beginning - my years of doing it would count for nothing. So I just train with a friend who's a 2nd Dan.
Plus, I don't like the bowing to people thing.

wow, i'd think that at least if you could provide some certification of your rank and take a re-test of some kind it wouldn't be a problem!

a lot of what I learned was done in the more traditional way, find someone who nows the stuff and ask for lessons, not join a club and kiss people's butts (that's a DIFFERENT kinda club you pay to belong to :shock: ) of course my teachers had to demonstrate that they weren't full of B.S. and show some sort of pedigree, but after that they were the sifu, i was the student.

the belt/rank thing is never something I've been big on. Hell a yellow sash is some forms of kung fu (second sash) makes you equivalent in knowledge to a black belt in some other martial arts, all it's good for is to show who is farther along in their training. in many places the only people with a belt/sash other than white should be the teacher and his assistants, but westerners wanted some sort of ranking systems.

bowing: some show of respect is a good thing. for what I've been involved with, it's been more of a hand salute and a nod more than a bow. when it's informal training between friends it's not necessary, but in a dojo or kwoon it helps keep things serious. a reminder that you're here to learn, not fool around. but to each his own.

my sifu's favorite quote from his sifu: "That's not stretching! THIS is stretching" followed by a scream from a student. [disclaimer:no students were seriously injured making this quote]
garou

Postby solat » Mon May 23, 2005 6:04 am

Beamer wrote:
solat wrote:... flying through the air and whacking stuff.

Something about that sounds... hmmm... heh heh :twisted:

I'll have to take my camera along this week and try to get a pic of me doing some moves. I do have a pic of me doing a mid-air kick but the angle of my hand looks like I'm doing a pearlclutch!

garou wrote:wow, i'd think that at least if you could provide some certification of your rank and take a re-test of some kind it wouldn't be a problem!

I guess I could do that at some stage. At the moment I'm just happy doing it to keep in shape.
solat

Postby Negate » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:17 am

Isn't their even another form of Tae bo now? I forgot what it's cqalled but it seems much more fun lol.
<----Imz In your forum sabotaging yah thredz.
Certified rice queen.
Negate

Postby BlackmanXXX » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:51 pm

I walk ten miles every day. That's my only exercise. Could it be that I have no other way to get around ? That might have something to do with it.
http://people.lulu.com/users/index.php?fHomepage=496298

I need to engage in bisexual behavior on a massive scale. It cannot be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
BlackmanXXX

Postby Negate » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:21 pm

BlackmanXXX wrote:I walk ten miles every day. That's my only exercise. Could it be that I have no other way to get around ? That might have something to do with it.

No worries BMX I have to walk around to get to places too but it has trippled my health. It seems like I'm sore all the time though.
<----Imz In your forum sabotaging yah thredz.
Certified rice queen.
Negate

Postby solat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:34 pm

Negate wrote:
BlackmanXXX wrote:I walk ten miles every day. That's my only exercise. Could it be that I have no other way to get around ? That might have something to do with it.

No worries BMX I have to walk around to get to places too but it has trippled my health. It seems like I'm sore all the time though.

I walk everywhere too and generally leave the car at home. I've only done around 3000kms in the car this year.
solat

Re: martial arts getting watered down

Postby salmaafshan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:40 am

They're so many and I don't know what I should take.
salmaafshan

Return to Sporting Life