How did your team do this year?

Whether it's talk about the court, the turf, the field, or the guys running around on any of these, this is the place to talk sports.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

How did your team do this year?

Postby Screamer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:09 am

Iowa 8-4 + Outback Bowl. We're pretty happy but some of the close losses could have been wins, and we expect Shonn Greene won't stick around another year.

About Iowa State, the only publicity they can buy is bad publicity. Next year probably won't be better.
"I'm in the mood for love, simply because you're near me"
Screamer
Member
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Iowa

Postby justice_nd » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:10 am

Georgia Tech finished 9-3 after being preseason picked by Sports Illustrated to finish 80th in the country with a record of 3-9. One of those 9 wins was over the mutts in Athens (Georgia, that is), breaking a 7-year losing streak. Another was a win over F$U when a true freshman forced a fumble at the goal line as the 'noles were trying to score the go ahead touchdown with 0:45 left on the clock. Ball recovered by another of our true freshmen. We stormed the field after beating F$U for the first time in 33 years (lost 12 straight, hadn't beaten them since they joined the ACC (or St. Bobby took over, actually)). One bogus helmet-to-helmet call in Blacksburg away from the ACC championship game.

Next up, the ACC's highest non-BCS bowl, the Eat Mor Chiken Bowl. I mean Peach Bowl. I mean Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl. I mean Chick-fil-A bowl. Whatever, it's the bowl in Atlanta. Trying to go 3-0 against the SEC this year by taking down "defending" national champion LSU. If we can do so, we'll have 10 wins for the first time in a decade. Not bad for a new coaching staff with a new offense and new defense.
User avatar
justice_nd
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:11 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby Eric in Dodge City » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:38 pm

The Jayhawks earned a spot in the Insight Bowl against Minnesota -- not a prestigious bowl, but we'll gladly accept it. I think this is the first time in KU history that KU has received bowl invitations two years in a row. Go KU! :D
Eric in Dodge City
Member
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:28 pm
Location: Ada, Oklahoma

Postby Sportsguy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:33 pm

MSU finished 9-3 and are playing Georgia in the Capitol One Bowl on New Year's Day! Go Spartans!! :D
User avatar
Sportsguy
Member
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Warren, Michigan

Postby buccoman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:03 am

Penn State, Big Ten champs and on to the Rose Bowl. They desperately need a plaoff system in college football...

Pittsburgh Steelers playing for the best record in the AFC, hoping to have home field advantage in the playoffs.

Good year for my teams so far...
User avatar
buccoman
Newbie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:13 pm

Postby Sportsguy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:14 am

buccoman wrote:Penn State, Big Ten champs and on to the Rose Bowl. They desperately need a plaoff system in college football...

Pittsburgh Steelers playing for the best record in the AFC, hoping to have home field advantage in the playoffs.

Good year for my teams so far...


I am rooting big time for Penn State. I want to shut up some of the 'football elite' that are always putting the Big 10 down.
User avatar
Sportsguy
Member
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Warren, Michigan

Postby buccoman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:46 am

Sportsguy wrote:
buccoman wrote:Penn State, Big Ten champs and on to the Rose Bowl. They desperately need a plaoff system in college football...

Pittsburgh Steelers playing for the best record in the AFC, hoping to have home field advantage in the playoffs.

Good year for my teams so far...


I am rooting big time for Penn State. I want to shut up some of the 'football elite' that are always putting the Big 10 down.


Appreciate that from an MSU man.
The Big Ten just doesn't have the explosive type offenses that they have in other conferences. But I think they have as many talented athletes and presumably better defense, but we'll see in the Rose Bowl.
User avatar
buccoman
Newbie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:13 pm

Postby justice_nd » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:33 am

Sportsguy wrote:MSU finished 9-3 and are playing Georgia in the Capitol One Bowl on New Year's Day! Go Spartans!! :D


Go Sparty! I rarely pull for Big Televen teams, but against the Mutts, I'll pull for just about anybody. I'd love to see U[sic]GA go down to an ACC team and a Big Televen team in the same season. So much crying in Athens.

I think the Big Televen would get more respect if Ohio State hadn't lost so horribly in the last two National Championship Games. Much like the ACC could finally get some respect if we win the Orange Bowl this year. Not likely with Virginia Tech representing the ACC, unfortunately. I guess we'll have to settle for 6-4 against the SEC in the regular season.
User avatar
justice_nd
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:11 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby doctor dan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:09 pm

my teams are miami ohio (undergrad) and ohio state (grad) and usc, my employer for the past 13 years. imagine my dilemma on september 13, when usc hosted ohio state. i already know that my loyalties lie with the trojans, but had decided that i would root for the home team. it was a 35-3 butt raping. in every other game this year, i was rooting for the buckeyes.

usc choked at another osu, oregon state, in september, but i had hoped that it would be early enough to overcome the ensuing drop. alas, it wasn't enough, though we won the remainder of our games to finish 11-1. honestly, the rose bowl is getting boring. this year will mark five of the last six years for us (only exception was mauling oklahoma in the sugar bowl in 2004/5) playing there. in the BCS championship, we lost to tejas in 2005/6. i hope that this year's game against penn state will be a good one. my tickets arrived last week.

ohio state gets to go to the fiesta bowl, not a bad consolation prize for a 10-2 team. i expect my bucks to get walloped by tejas.

miami ohio sucked this year. oy. we even went to a home game against arch-rival ohio u last month... let's just say that games at oxford, ohio, were more enjoyable when i was a drunk undergrad than this one was. i doubt the redskins could beat many high school teams this year.

alas, now it's on to college basketball season. yay. with my teams in the pac-10, big-10, and the mac, there is always a relevant game on TV.
User avatar
doctor dan
Member
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:00 am
Location: long beach, ca

Postby buccoman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:15 am

doctor dan wrote:my teams are miami ohio (undergrad) and ohio state (grad) and usc, my employer for the past 13 years. imagine my dilemma on september 13, when usc hosted ohio state. i already know that my loyalties lie with the trojans, but had decided that i would root for the home team. it was a 35-3 butt raping. in every other game this year, i was rooting for the buckeyes.

usc choked at another osu, oregon state, in september, but i had hoped that it would be early enough to overcome the ensuing drop. alas, it wasn't enough, though we won the remainder of our games to finish 11-1. honestly, the rose bowl is getting boring. this year will mark five of the last six years for us (only exception was mauling oklahoma in the sugar bowl in 2004/5) playing there. in the BCS championship, we lost to tejas in 2005/6. i hope that this year's game against penn state will be a good one. my tickets arrived last week.

ohio state gets to go to the fiesta bowl, not a bad consolation prize for a 10-2 team. i expect my bucks to get walloped by tejas.

miami ohio sucked this year. oy. we even went to a home game against arch-rival ohio u last month... let's just say that games at oxford, ohio, were more enjoyable when i was a drunk undergrad than this one was. i doubt the redskins could beat many high school teams this year.

alas, now it's on to college basketball season. yay. with my teams in the pac-10, big-10, and the mac, there is always a relevant game on TV.


Interestingly versatile, Dan :wink:
User avatar
buccoman
Newbie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:13 pm

Postby doctor dan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:44 am

Last edited by doctor dan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
doctor dan
Member
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:00 am
Location: long beach, ca

Postby Sportsguy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:31 pm

doctor dan wrote:
buccoman wrote:Interestingly versatile, Dan :wink:


well, i try to stay on top of my teams' performances. 8)


Are we still talking sports here? :wink:
User avatar
Sportsguy
Member
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Warren, Michigan

Postby trdsf » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm

OSU beat Michigan, which is the sum total of my football season.

And Team USA absolutely kicked European ass in the Ryder Cup this year, even without Tiger! Wahoo!

Sorry, that's almost the only team event in my chosen sport. :)
"You think the humans think we are strange, you think?" -- Lattis to Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
trdsf
Newbie
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 pm
Location: Columbus OH

Postby olywaguy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:54 am

LSU, the 2007 champions had 8-5 record and won the Peach Bowl against Georgia Tech.


Image
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul


http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
User avatar
olywaguy
Moderator
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:08 pm
Location: Tupelo, Mississippi

Postby RedRage00 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:44 am

UT beat Ohio State! That made my man happy! He went to UT-Austin for grad school. 8)

I agree bucco, we need a college playoff system!
User avatar
RedRage00
Member
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:16 am
Location: Dallas, Tx

Postby JakeMIke » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:11 am

Go Ravens!
JakeMIke
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:27 pm

Postby foxeyes2 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:23 am

Titans are going to take it not the lowly birds.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2
Moderator
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:51 am
Location: Nashville, TN


Return to Sporting Life

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest