does anyone actually work on cars

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

does anyone actually work on cars

Postby fibrgls » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Does anyone want to talk cars with me? Im not into anything else and it is really hard to find someone who really works on and restores cars.
fibrgls

Postby chidiver » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:29 pm

Paging Schlodesss, paging Schlodesss...
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Texas_Thang » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:06 pm

Schlodess or Sconessss, if you're around...

There are a few, honestly.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby The_Machinist » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:29 am

I work on cars in my free time, and I am an industrial mechanic/CNC tech by trade... I work on new powertrain projects for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Harley Davidson, etc. all the time. I'm not home much anymore to do so, but I have a Chevy Caprice station wagon that I have been working on here and there. Most of my car repair work involves keeping my family's beaters running. :P
You can't fix stupid.
The_Machinist

Location: Lima, OH (home)/Baltimore, MD/Buffalo, NY, and soon, Spring Hill, TN

Postby devilnuts » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:29 pm

I used to work on my own vehicles, but now that everything is getting smaller, electronic, and requiring special tools, I do very little of the work myself. I remember we had a Corporal in my shop that had her alternator go out just before she was supposed to go to Phoenix to get married. They wanted about $500 to repair her car. Being the one that was driving her around, I said that was ridiculous and that we'd buy one and a few of us from the shop would do it and have her on the road in no time. Yeah, because of the size and location of that damn thing, it took us the good portion of a day.
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby Schlodesss » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:56 pm

Cool, I like the Lincoln. I putz with cars a little, i'm going through a weird dirt bike phase again as of late though. Here's my POS..
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby chidiver » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:40 pm

Wow, good to see you around. i got to thinking that they threw you in jail with that new drag racing law. Nice to see you back.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:42 am

Thanks, I almost grendaded it today, the vac/boost line popped off the fuel pressure regulator, and it went very lean, I think my addiction to race gas may have finally did some good. Pump gas and it would have been game over.

I haven't been online much int he last 6 weeks or so, I have been buying and selling dirt bikes for extra cash and lots of running around, but it's actually paid my way and is tax free cash :? Sold my 4 wheeler too, looking at a CR 500 I might buy to keep and ride. Look for broken leg pics around April I figure :shock:
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby devilnuts » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm just wondering if, on your page with the pics of your car, you had a Freudian slip:

When I got the car it was BONE stock..

Got BONE on the mind? heheheh ;) Nice to see you back.
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

cars

Postby fibrgls » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:19 pm

I getting redy to rebuild an 89 IROCZ 350 to put in my 77 Chevy Monza Mirage. I hope to buy all the internals next week. Anyone know what a Monza Mirage is? I dont mean go and google it either. But if you do want to see one go to www.monzamirage.com mine is beat up and rough but it will live again.
fibrgls

Re: cars

Postby stevestr » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:07 pm

fibrgls wrote:I getting redy to rebuild an 89 IROCZ 350 to put in my 77 Chevy Monza Mirage. I hope to buy all the internals next week. Anyone know what a Monza Mirage is? I dont mean go and google it either. But if you do want to see one go to www.monzamirage.com mine is beat up and rough but it will live again.

It looks like an aborted Camaro but I remember those.
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

camero prototype

Postby fibrgls » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Just so you know the Monza was the prototype test car that in its entirety was used in the next generation cameros. And to further note its significance I was just under a 98 camero and they are still using the exact same suspension and drive line components used in the first Monzas back in 1975. So truthfully the camero is an aborted Monza.
fibrgls

Re: camero prototype

Postby stevestr » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm

fibrgls wrote:Just so you know the Monza was the prototype test car that in its entirety was used in the next generation cameros. And to further note its significance I was just under a 98 camero and they are still using the exact same suspension and drive line components used in the first Monzas back in 1975. So truthfully the camero is an aborted Monza.

Its a GM so there's no surprise the suspension would be the same. But do I at least get a half point for the aborted recognition, even if in reverse? 8)
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Re: cars

Postby Schlodesss » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:57 pm

fibrgls wrote:I getting redy to rebuild an 89 IROCZ 350 to put in my 77 Chevy Monza Mirage. I hope to buy all the internals next week. Anyone know what a Monza Mirage is? I dont mean go and google it either. But if you do want to see one go to www.monzamirage.com mine is beat up and rough but it will live again.

Yeah I recall them. I didn't care for them in general, however they were like the 70s Mustang IIs, when in 1978 King Cobra guise, they looked hot, same deal on your car.

So do you drag race anything? Is that what the Monza is going to be for? I'm surprised that with all the swap headaches [you're using the tuned port right?] you didn't just go with an LS1, they are 10x the motor the TPIs were, nothing wrong with the 5.7 TPIs though, they had healthy fat tq. The intakes suck as far as making HP though once you get to a certain point. I always wanted to swap a 3.8L Turbo from a GN into the decked out version of the Buick Skyhawk from that era.

What all else have you owned/worked on? I've had a lot of everything, when I was 16 [i'm 32 now] I installed a 70s Pontiac 455/TH 400 into a 1979 REgal Sport Coupe that was originally a turbo-6 car. It was fast for a 16 yr old and ran 14.30s. At 19 I bought my first GN, a low mile 1987 Grand National, it dipped into the low 13s basically stock, it had a cone filter, Red A street chip, and we uncapped the stock downpipe.

From there I moved onto 5.0s. Lots of em. I had an 89 Notchback I bought bone stock. It ran 13.85 @ 99 MPH untouched. I added the usual 3.73 gears, under drives, bumped timing to 17* base, uncapped the stock H pipe [left stock headers and 4 cat H pipe intact], cone filter on the MAF [removed screen from maf] and free tricks like yanking the front sway bar.. On slicks and skinnies the car went 13.11 @ 102 MPH. Then I bought AFR alum heads, Edelbrock EFI intake, 65mm t-body, 24 lb injs, ProM 75mm Maf, did a full exhaust, and instead of cam, left the stock cam and went with 1.7 roller rockers. No power adders, and 91 octane gas and stock shortblock and cam, the car then ran 12.30 @ 111 and would fly through e tests, and was awesome on fuel, idled like stock, drive it anywhere. Some 4.10s and a custom ground cam and the car would have went 11.80s.

Had a few other 5.0s, one an 89 GT Cobra [Canada got Cobras to 93 - USA didnt] 5 sp, and stock, with a fuel system, and a 175 dry shot of nitrous. I made the mistake to go to the track on regular street tires and stock 3.08 gears, car was a 5 speed.. I ran 13.55 @ 120.6 MPH LOL. It would spin up to about 75-80 MPH or the 1/8th mile

Also had an 87 Buick Regal Limited with the Turbo T package, only 1035 ever made. I rebuilt the motor, stock rebuild, and that car ran low 12s on mostly stock parts. I've also had late 70s Z28s that were 350 4 sp cars, and a few others. I recently sold a really nice 1987 Cougar that was swapped to a 2.3L intercooled turbo and 5 speed, 3.45 posi rear. It was a high 13 second car and I took out a stock 2005 Mustang GT with it once, but it was all down low, holeshotted him 3 times by like 4 cars, once we got up around 85 he was reeling me in. Cougar wasn't really done up though, had a 3" downpipe, 3" exhaust, ported stock exhaust manifold, adjustable fuel regulator, cone filter on air meter, race gas and 18 psi boost. What made it so fast for what it was... was someone put the incorrect head on it, a non turbo head which gave it 10:1 compression, instead of 8:1, so add 18 psi boost and race gas to that and you get the idea.

Here's some random pics of sh*t I have owned.... Thats me, lets hear about some of yer stuff... your racing... or whatevs... always like talking with another gear head. 8)

My 12.30 @ 111 MPH Notch.

My Turbo Cougar:
Engine:

My pride and Joy:

Engine pics of SVO:

Inside SVO:

Some old pics of the Limited Turbo T:
Me installing the cam during the engine build:
Completed assembly on stand:
All done and ready for action:
Car was very good at this 8)

I also recently sold this:
I redid the interior with correct dahs peices etc, but used 1993 GT seats, and "halos" I dyed black from a mid 80s GT Mustang.
.... car was a very rare 1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo. Option delete car with aluminum bumpers and factory manual rack and pinion.

Anyways, here are some vids... 1st one if my 12.30 notch taking on a 400 WHP turbo Civic.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9b60 ... 392eaf.htm

My SVO running 11s
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/69f2 ... a481dd.htm

Dashcam of my SVO 5-130 MPH
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/079e ... 85c4b1.htm

There is a buddy of mine who used to post on here, Scones, and doesn't anymore really... he has an 86 Mustang GT and we twin turbo'd the car ourselves for under $2000 in parts.
A vid of when we first got it running last spring:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d8b9 ... 1d8e88.htm
Same car at track letting off at 1000' mark due to an intercooler hose blowing apart:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d66d ... 2f6ca5.htm

It will be in the 10s this year he is turning up the boost, bought a better intercooler and is going C4. Anyway, there's one thing I always ponder... and that is how come there are droves of straight men into cars/motorsports, yet when it comes to gay men you may find one here or there but most would rather swap recipes.... it baffles me because we are Gay, but MALES, no? Oh well..

Anyways lets see some of your stuff.
:o
--------------
Schlodesss

Some nice cars man

Postby fibrgls » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Hey

You sound like me Ive been through more cars than Carter has liver pills. I havent done any racing unless you count demolition derbys and I dont count that. However I have had my share of cars. currently I have a 1963 Lincoln and she is a sweetie. You can see her at www.cardomain.com/ride/2313684/1 my ex and I build that one from a 300.00 piece of sh*t that had been setting in a friends back yard for 15 years. She is a honey. Then I have the 77 Chevy Monza Mirage but she isnt in very good shape right now needs the body and paint fininshed out and the interior is great except I want to rehupolster the seats in cloth. to finish the interior. And of course the oritional motor blew last year. I would much rather put in a 327 that I have in the shed but that is going to be a 3 or 4 thousand dollar rebuild Im building it to 302 specs. So really the 350 tpi is just a cheap rebuild to get her rolling again. I changed out the diff to a posi unit out of an 88 S10 and both rear axels too. Now the rear is 5 lug and I have the S10 spindels to change over the front as well. Just havent done it yet. She still has the am fm 8 track and it all works took me 3 years to find that. I would love an email addy so we can talk more sometime, and btw where are you located man.

Later

Brian Shorter
fibrgls

Postby mrbrian200 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:25 am

Got screwed by a garage when I was in high school. Started workin on things myself. 25 years later I'd say I've developed a good ability to diagnose an engine or suspension problem without need of expensive shop computers, though sometimes I have to chew on it for a few days. Case in point, took me a "few" weeks to piece together a hard starting problem that went away when I bought gas in Chicago as opposed to gas in rural Indiana...Reformulated gas 10% ethanol is lighter and pushes easier through a plugged fuel filter. When a local garage told me that to send a set of injectors away for testing was almost as much as just buying a new set, I brainstormed a couple days and figured a way to pinpoint exactly which ones were leaky, no need to pull 'em or even connect a computer.

Anyways--

There's a guy in the local autozone likes to chatter anytime I'm in there. Supposedly he has a 4.5 out of a Caddy to be fitted with a Holley 4bbl he thinks he's gonna get into a Fiero.:shock: Think the dude might be _____? (fill in the blank)
Anyway 8 months ago he was babbling about this. To date I see him driving around town still in a beater condition 80's Caprice. (not that I have any room to talk when it comes to driving a beater)
My dachsund is cuter than your boyfriend.
mrbrian200

Postby cumminsturbo88 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:39 am

Ok first off Schlodesss the pic of you installing a cam was wood worthy. Not often you see attractive men working on cars and know what they are doing.

Anyway, I usually work on my own vehicles. I rebuilt a 1500 single port out of my old '68 ghia. Also many carburetors over the years and fuel pumps you know the usual. Right now I'm so pissed I can't see straight. I now own a 2007 beetle with a 2.5 inline five, anyway I cannot work on it at all. They threaten to void my warranty even if I change my own oil. Which I've done and is a total bitch to do. Now both of my headlight are blown not just fuses but the actual bulbs. And I can't seem to get the headlight assemblies out of the fenders. I looked at my manual and it says to take it to a certified tech. Which will cost me $70 bucks a pop :shock: I miss the days of manual everything and no power anything. This is my last new car for sure. It's only a year old and it has had more problems than my old '65 Falcon.
Saying all gays have AIDS is like saying all Christians are Fred Phelps.
cumminsturbo88

Hey I work on cars & want to meet the same in Round Rock

Postby freshsteeds » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Got a Bug and a Saturn and also dig trucks, bikes, locomotives and piston aircraft. Anyone in my area or want to be penpals give me a hollar.

More on me at http://www.myspace.com/freshsteeds
It's the broncs and the blood,
It's the steers and the mud,
And they call the thing r-o-d-e-o...
--Garth Brookes
freshsteeds

Postby dudekc » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:12 am

Cars to me are like shoes to women cant have too many went thrugh my fox body stage many lincoln mark7's still currently have one also bo the vw thing restored several super b's now i am into the gm 3.8 super charged rivs and park ave's nice sleepers with a great ride creature comforts and longevity guess as i get older i am getting soft but hell lots of power great gas mileage makes for more fun if you can go from street to strip with almost no mods
dudekc

Postby Schlodesss » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:37 am

Super'd 3.8s are awesome motors. My moms ex boyfriend had a 1998 Regal GS and they used to go on vaca every august for two weeks and I would drop them at the air port and keep his car. He wasn't big on maintenance and the last year I had it I was driving home and it felt slow as hell. I ran it almost out of gas and filled up on Ultra 94 thinking he had probably run 87.. helped a tad but not much. I get home and pull the air filter for fun and when I hold it up to look at it the wind blows all this dirt out of it into my eyes! There's the problem lol.. so I went and bought a universal cone filter and found a 3" 90* I had lying around... and wrigged that up to the MAF. Took the car out and it went from making around 4 psi to about 8.. night and day diff. It was probably a 14.30 car. I always wanted to do headers/exhaust/pulley/stat/air intake of some sort and drag radials, I bet it would have been a solid 13 sec car.

I would have loved to swap a S/C Series II longblock into my GN/TTYpes then turbo it. I know it's been done a time or two, but back then everything was still so new for them..

I'm probably just going to stick with my SVO now.. I've started over too many times to count and i'm running 11.80 @ 115 with this car now and there is probably a bit more left in this setup.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby FRE » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:46 pm

It's no longer practical to work on late model cars. When I had 2 antique Packards, I worked on them. One was a 1953 Packard Cavalier with a 327 cubic inch flathead straight (pardon the expression) eight engine, Ultramatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, and hydraulically-operated power seat and windows. The other Packard was a 1955 Caribbean Convertible with V8, 2 - 4 barrel carbs, Ultramatic, power steering, power brakes, power seat, power windows, and self-leveling torsion bar suspension. When I drove it, people stared. Before moving to Fiji (where I lived from 1994 - 2004), I sold the Packards.

I wouldn't mind having a 1950s Hudson. At that time, they were winning all the stock car races with their 308 cubic inch flathead 6.
FRE
FRE

Re: does anyone actually work on cars

Postby carguy60 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:27 am

I've got a fleet of 4 classic cars ('60 Ford Fairlane 500, '60 Edsel Ranger, '60 Meteor Rideau, '79 Chevy Malibu) and a truck ('07 Chevy Colodado Xtreme) that I work on. I love tinkering with the old cars and modding my daily driver truck. I find it relieves stress when I work on one of them. I only wish I had a larger garage to work in, but that will come someday.
carguy60

Postby FRE » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:42 pm

There were no "classic" cars made after 1950. Classic cars are cars like Duesenbergs, Pierce Arrows, Cadillac V16s, Packard V12s, Lincoln V12s, Marmons, etc. The others are simply antiques.
FRE
FRE

Postby carguy60 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Well, that sure is nitpicking! Perhaps I should have used the term "collector" car.
carguy60

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:05 pm

I would love to own a classic/antique car, but I'm completely clueless about them - and anything mechanical. I guess I'm looking for the nostalgia factor...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Guy Stuff