Man's Best Friend

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Man's Best Friend

Postby Rico » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Although I suppose "Man's Best Friend" might be that thing dangling between our legs, we all know that "Man's Best Friend" refers to the dogs we love and the dogs that love us. I came across a couple of pics that reminded me of dogs I loved and dogs who have since died. I started remembering all the dogs in my life and was surprised (and amused) that it was easier to remember them than some of the men I knew. So maybe it's right...dogs really are our best friends. What do dogs mean to you?

Last edited by Rico on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Re: Man's Best Friend

Postby Rico » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:10 pm

I don't have any digital pics of Dog, but this one is close although Dog was much fatter. He was a German Shepherd Beagle mix (like this one) and was a rescue.
Yes, that was his name....Dog. I remember him above all others because he almost landed me in jail. Of all the people to bite, he chose a Gainesville Animal Control Officer as his victim. Go figure. I was at the University of Florida, and while I was away at class, Dog escaped from the fenced back yard. I arrived back home to see a citation to appear in court pasted to the door.

Long story short, I arrived at court on the selected date at time and waited for my case to be called. The judge (a real scary-looking lady and dressed in black robes because it was a real court) asked me my name and if I knew why I was there. I told her my name and quite naively and innocently I said: "Yes, I'm here to speak for the dog." The entire courtroom (including the judge) erupted into laughter. Little did I know that I was the one in trouble, and not Dog.

Fortunately for me (and for Dog) the officer did not show up for court and the case was dismissed.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:47 am

My girl, Cindy Lou Hoo, is a Pikachu (also called a Cheeks). I've had many dogs, most were rescues, including Cindy. But I'll never forget the day Cindy needed rescuing herself. See, Cindy was in the house when it burned. The firemen found her along with my cat (named Cat BTW) huddled together by my Guinea Pig's cage. My pig and cat were already gone, but Cindy was still breathing. With extensive CPR and a stay in the doggie ICU, she survived. A little worse for wear, but she made it. My miracle puppy. :cry:
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Nimby, I'm so sorry to hear that your cat and guinea pig didn't survive. I'm glad to hear that at least your dog did.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks. This was just like my little guy, Lucky.

He always had perpetual bed-head and just loved to cuddle. Santa brought him for my daughter when she was 10. She usually never asks for anything for Christmas but that year she secretly wrote Santa for a Guinea Pig, so he delivered. And boy did she take good care of him. He would scoot around the living room and "popcorn" when he got caught, chased the cat around and even purred (kinda). Him and I got along real well too. As him and I were the only two guys in the house, we kinda bonded.

On the day our house burned, my daughter was so good at trying to keep her mum and I calm, but when we learned the pets were lost, she was just frantic. I've never heard her sob so hard before that I thought heart was going to burst. She was inconsolable. Her baby was no more. Her little friends and us barried him in the back yard with all due respects and she placed a hand painted headstone to mark the location. This spring, when we moved back into the house, she planted a rosebush to replace the headstone. Children are so remarkable, we learn so much from them.

sorry. Back to man's best friend.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Guy Stuff