Hobbies?

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Hobbies?

Postby Phoenix6570 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:15 am

My biggest hobby is something I'm trying to develop more and more. I'm into creative writing and currently working on a fantasy story. I've been working on it for a while now and decided to redo the entire thing because I didn't like the direction I was going in. I'm much happier with it now, and while I don't always write everyday more and more I'm trying to make that a goal so I can complete it. In addition to that I also like to write about my ideas about the world and society. I've dabbled in play-writing and a small amount of poetry and found that to be fun.

So What do you guys love to do when you have some free-time to kill?
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Re: Hobbies?

Postby Kori » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:22 am

I've always been interested in poetry and baseball. It's not really that baseball is a hobby, but the sport brings back good memories I have of my father.

A creative writer? If it's in your comfort zone, I would cherish the opportunity to see an excerpt. At the very least, you'll have someone to give you feedback.
Kori

Postby glas_scot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:34 am

I'm a big theme park geek. Been on 3 coaster trips with over 50 people on each trip around the world. Been all over Europe and was in Japan for 3 weeks in June. I absolutely love it and the people I go on the trips with are amazing. Been on over 300 coasters now and ain't stopping any time soon!!! :D
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby Kori » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:30 am

Which park would you say was the best experience so far?
Kori

Postby glas_scot » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:54 am

Tokyo DisneySea blew me away. You could go there, not ride a single thing and still have a absolute blast. It's just amazing.
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby nimby » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:07 pm

glas_scot wrote:I'm a big theme park geek. Been on 3 coaster trips with over 50 people on each trip around the world. Been all over Europe and was in Japan for 3 weeks in June. I absolutely love it and the people I go on the trips with are amazing. Been on over 300 coasters now and ain't stopping any time soon!!! :D

Wow, very cool. I loved coasters too when I was younger. Two days ago I was at Hershey Park in Hershey, PA. There they have a coaster called Farenheit. Took one look at it and almost peed, so I passed. I still love the older, wooden coasters though.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:48 pm

I spend my free time reading ~ a rather sedentary hobby, but one I thoroughly enjoy...History primarily...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Guinness Fan wrote:I spend my free time reading ~ a rather sedentary hobby, but one I thoroughly enjoy...History primarily...

My degree is in American history. What kind of history do you like to read?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Guinness Fan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:10 am

^^American & European history...1850's - 1950's...
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Now that I've successfully done one, I can add "repairing antique radios" to my list. My 1940 Philco now makes pretty noises.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Hmmm let's see.

video games (World of Warcraft / PS3)
3D modeling & animation
music (making / listening)
Watching movies (home / theater)
Drawing
YouTube surfing

... this list might grow over time.
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man...
Ben

Postby DeckApe » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:18 pm

I don't think I ever made an actual list. In addition to learning how to repair antique radios, I also enjoy gardening (particularly in the Japanese style), traveling to the Oregon Coast, watching TV with my husband, light reading (hubby is working on securing a publisher for his murder mystery series at long last!), computer geeking, cards and games... I'll see if I can think of anything to add as well.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:49 pm

DeckApe wrote: learning how to repair antique radios,

I'll keep that in mind ~ I've acquired a couple during my travels - mostly 30's/40's Art Deco bakelite table models - one, a barn find, complete with rat's nest. I have gotten a couple of the repaired and are now in working order....the rats nest (since removed) one needs an overhaul.
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Guinness Fan wrote:I'll keep that in mind ~ I've acquired a couple during my travels - mostly 30's/40's Art Deco bakelite table models - one, a barn find, complete with rat's nest. I have gotten a couple of the repaired and are now in working order....the rats nest (since removed) one needs an overhaul.

Sweet! What makes/models? I have two Philcos, two Silvertones, and one each for General-Television-and-Radio, Motorola, and Zenith.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:52 pm

I'll let you know when I eventually move back to the States and unpack the stuff that I've left in storage...Forgotten what kind of "treasures" I packed away...besides a few radios there are a couple of rotary dial bakelite telephones that need some work.
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Return to Guy Stuff