Car Talk

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Car Talk

Postby olywaguy » Wed May 25, 2011 1:57 am

As you know, I am moving to a new city in Washington for a new job. The place that I am going gets a lot of snow during the winter, there are ski resorts nearby. That's gotten me thinking about the possibility of getting a new car. I have been told that all-wheel drive is the type of car for this kind of weather.

I currently have a 2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL (which is all paid for). My ex-roommate suggested that I get studded wheels for the winter. I will also need chains (required by law in WA State). At the same time, however, he is also interested in buying my car.

If I were to buy a new car, I would have preferred a hybrid. I have kind of been waiting for Hyundai Accent to create a hybrid version. So, far it hasn't happened yet. I have always had a preference for sedans. They just seem to be the right fit for me. The only other concern I ever had was for a large enough trunk that would fit a wheelchair (my younger sister's) and good gas mileage. Oh, I almost forgot. It has to be an automatic...can't drive a manual (been there, done that). Hyundai's AWD choices are the Veracruz, Tucson, and the Santa Fe.

http://www.awdreport.com/Content/Hyundai.htm

I've been looking at articles about all-wheel drive and already I have noticed that Subaru seems to be the leading automaker in that type of car. Seems like the Legacy and the Outback are the most popular.

I am looking at the 2011 Subaru Outback webpage and I have no idea what they are talking about. I have no idea what it means to have a certain type of engien (2.5i as opposed to the 2.5i Limited, Premium, etc.)

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/index.html

Believe it or not, car talk is a whole different language than English or Spanish and I am not familiar with its meanings and nuances. Also, what kind of AWD system should I be looking for since apparently there are different systems by different automakers.

I am hoping there are some car guys out there (especially Schlodess) who can give me some advice I can use.

Thank you for your help.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: Car Talk

Postby edu999 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 pm

I just bought a 2011 Outback a few months ago and I love it. It's the 3.6 Limited. It's missing a few creature comforts that I had in my old VW Passat (like auto-locking doors and rain-sensing wipers), but otherwise it's a solid, comfortable, dependable car. And the AWD makes it seem like it's stuck to the road, which is quite a pleasant surprise considering how big the car is and how high the ground clearance is compared to "normal" cars.

As for the gobbledygook...

2.5 and 3.6 are the engine sizes. 3.6 is a bigger engine, more powerful, but also more hungry for gas. As for i vs Premium vs Limited, those are just the trim levels (features, bells & whistles, creature comforts). Limited is the highest trim level, followed by Premium, followed by the basic i (for 2.5 liter engines) or basic R (for 3.6 liter engines).
edu999

Postby Davy » Thu May 26, 2011 3:58 am

If you're thinking of moving to a place that has a lot of snow in the winter, bigger is better when it comes to vehicle size. I don't know if I'd worry about chains unless you're going to be driving through mountain passes on a regular basis. I seem to remember when I lived in Snohomish County, that's the only place chains were required, but I don't know about Ellensburg. Studded tires do the job, but they're also a false sense of security. I find that I actually drive better on icy roads in the winter without studs, chains, or any of that, simply because I'm slowing down and paying attention to the road conditions. AWD is a good choice, but it's probably less expensive to buy a 4WD. Basically, the difference is that an AWD switches into and out of 4-wheel mode automatically, while 4WD requires you to manually do so. Manual transmission is probably better for driving on snow, but I cannot drive manual so automatic works just fine for me.

Now realize I am giving you this advice as someone who drives icy and snowy roads for 4-5 months continuously. The ice never melts between November and March because it never gets above freezing. You will be living in an area where the snow will melt after a few days. So you might even be able to make do with whatever you're driving now.
Davy

Postby randythomas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:46 am

Hyundai seems to have a good following on the North American market better than other Asian car manufacturers. I've been told that every car that Hyundai release have the design aesthetics that suites the American market. It looks like that every car today that rolls out of its assemble line in North America is designed by American engineers in which they carefully managed to research and develop the applications of American design to a Korean brand.
"Fate rarely calls upon us on the moment of our choosing"
randythomas

Postby nimby » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm

2012 Hyundai Elantra, North American Car of the Year.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:37 am

It's kinda sad how all cars look the same now. I was walking out of the mall the other day in the dark and knew generally where my car was, but I looked around and every car looked exactly the same. I put a steering wheel cover on in the winter months, so instead I looked for that and spotted my car instantly.

It's usually brighter in the summer time, so I can see better. But yeah what a shame. Boring, unimaginative world we live in.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:48 am

Earl I so agree.... there are few cars that excite me... I have to say that not only because of the HP they have either, but the new Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro I like... Vette's good too.. because they still have some originality and lines to them...

Not to mention that the blistering acceleration of the new gen of muscle / Pony cars would blow away the older stuff in a new york minute in every way.. maybe except timeless classic looks of some of the older stuff.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Schlodesss » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:22 am

Earl I so agree.... there are few cars that excite me... I have to say that not only because of the HP they have either, but the new Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro I like... Vette's good too.. because they still have some originality and lines to them...

Not to mention that the blistering acceleration of the new gen of muscle / Pony cars would blow away the older stuff in a new york minute in every way.. maybe except timeless classic looks of some of the older stuff.

Edit: Carlos, I dunno much about new new stuff I stopped caring about new cars about 7-8 years ago.... AllI can say is that somethign with ground clearance like a Subbie, all wheel drive, and turbo :mrgreen: [gotta have boost or you are missing out on life].

I say AWD, because I was in my buddies awd 1990 Laser RS Turbo [think the old eagle talons] and there was LITERALLY 6-8" of snow ON he roads it was blizzarding here, this was winter of 2008... so any ways he is giving me a lift home from where we were, and proceeds to pull out, floor it [remember this car has turbocharged so powerful as well] and pass this woman who was doing about 25-30 MPH and he just keeps winding it out and lets out about 80 MPH. Now, my buddy Dan is an exceptional driver however the stability this car had amazed me so, yah... i'm sold on AWD for winter, and areas where you get a lot, of deep snow, extra ground cleanrance..

So I vote something higher up awd and TURBOCHARGED... I also like turbo charged engines because to withstand the extra HP the engine will make the few times you use the turbo now and then, then engine is built with stronger components like forged pistons, better rods, sometimes better crank., oil squirters for the pistons to cool them, etc... So that said... the times you are just driving around civlized [most of the time] you have a virtually indestructable motor that will prob outlast the vehicle as long as you change the oil regularly... the days of unreliable turbos are a thind of the past they now complement vehicles and you get a better engine internally to go with it as well as sometimes stronger tranmissions, rear ends etc...

This gets my vote.... The 2012 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Turbo. Perfect for you Carlo.... seriously.. it's a sexy bugger in white... I entered a michigan zip code 48066 which I thin is Roseville MI lol.. so it would let me...
http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/forester ... hero_image
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby olywaguy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:47 am

Well, the time has come...my car was totaled last week when I slid on snow and ice on Snoqualmie Pass on my way to Olympia to attend a funeral. I am now waiting for my insurance to see how much they are giving me for my old car (2001 Hyundai Accent 4-door sedan).

So, now I have to think about buying a new car in the very near future. The town with the most car dealerships near me is Yakima, WA.

The Yakima Subaru dealership has this one available. I already emailed them for more information.

Still in need of an AWD, sedan type car. BTW, how is it possible for Subaru to have 2014 models already?
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:08 am

I got a new Chevrolet Cobalt three years ago when they had their employee pricing deal on. It only cost 10 grand. I wiped out on ice in my old mini van one time. The tires were bald and the road was a skating rink. I crashed into a curb. :oops:

Other than that, I've gone accident free for 32 years now. Mind you I don't drive much anymore. I've only got 18000 km on the Cobalt after three years. I think the next car I'll get with satellite radio. Our radio stations here suck balls.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby doctor dan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:57 am

Shop around on carsdirect.com. edmunds.com will show you which incentives are active now. maybe buy a new 2012 from last model year at a great discount.

A 2001 Elantra will get you next to nothing in insurance settlement, so you'll probably need to finance the whole amount for a new one.
doctor dan

Postby olywaguy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 am

I finally got the offer for my insurance.

$ 4,033.00 market value + sales tax + fees - $ 500.00 deductible = $ 3,899.24

Would that be a good start?
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby doctor dan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 am

Holy mierde! That's much more than I would have expected. Consider it a 20% down payment, and go for a $20K car. I still like carsdirect.com to research.
doctor dan

Postby nimby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm

olywaguy wrote:I finally got the offer for my insurance.

$ 4,033.00 market value + sales tax + fees - $ 500.00 deductible = $ 3,899.24

Would that be a good start?

Holy crap!!! Who is your insurance company? That is very generous.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:14 pm

GEICO
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby olywaguy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:30 pm

I finally got the check on Saturday and put it on my account this morning.

Went to Yakima on Saturday to look for a car at the Subaru dealership since I was looking for an AWD car. Test drove the 2012 Legacy. The salesman was with me and going back to the finance guy but the monthly payments they were asking for was too high. So, they show me alternatives...one of which was a 2011 Hyundai Accent...lol (my last two cars were Hyundai Accents). However, I did remember that the2013 Hyundai Accenthad a good price as well with all the bells and whistles. Besides, I didn't like the salesman pushing me to make a decision. I told him I needed to think about it.

So, I when I got home, I looked at the HyundaiUSA website and sure enough I could get a new 2013 Hyundai Accent with all the bells and whistles at payments I could afford. So, I sent an email to the closest Hyundai dealership to me which was Yakima. Talked to him on the phone this morning and will be meeting with him tomorrow morning. Taking my pastor with me for car advice, etc. this time around. The car that I want, however, is located at a different dealership (Idaho) and they would have to swap it out. But, they need to see a commitment from me. I financed my last two cars via Hyundai Financing so I hope it will be okay.

This car with the GLS Premium trim. No additional accessories.

Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 am

We used to drive through Yakima on our way to Denver when we lived there. We'd spend the summer in B.C.

For some reason, alot of people must pass through there. I see Yakima storage bins on top of cars here all the time. :mrgreen:
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Well, went to the Hyundai dealership today. Test drove the car, the salesman got my information for paperwork, etc.

The problem now is because I don't have a credit history even though I got my car via Hyundai Financing. They had turned me down initially, but the salesman let them know that I had financed my last car with them and now they are offering a 10.9 % financing which would make my payments at around $ 310.00. Wells Fargo (my bank) had offered 18.9% !!!

I'm being penalized for paying my bills on time!!! Uggggh
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby olywaguy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:41 am

Got my new car a couple of days ago....mileage 173!!

It is a 2013 Hyundai Accent with the premium package. Everything power whatever, cruise control. It is a 6 cylinder automatic but you can also change over to a manual. Comes with three months of free satellite music. Eco. 28/37 gas mileage. fog lights. Instead of fuel injection it has direct injection.

I had my first out of town trip today with the car. We went to Roslyn, Washington which is about half an hour from here. Known best as the fictional town of Cicely, Alaska in the TV show Northern Exposure.

Yes, my favorite color is red. This is Boston Red.

Hmmm, maybe I should pop up the hood so you can see what is underneath it.

Carlos

olywaguy

Postby DeckApe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:06 am

Looks like a fun ride, Carlos. :D

I drive a 2010 Scion xB these days... bought it from Toyota out of their loaner fleet (hey, at least I knew the maintenance had been done!). It's still a little strange to have friends who have been to that dealership say, "yeah, I think I drove your car before you guys bought it..."
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Carlos, are you sure it's a V6? I thought they came with the 1.6L 4 cylinder Gamma engines. Still plenty gutsy but very fuel efficient.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 pm

I am, by no any stretch of the imagination, a "car guy"....Been back in Europe for almost 2 years; don't have a car, don't need one, don't miss one...don't want one...

But, I know that I'll be moving back to the US and will have no choice but to buy one...On my last trip home I looked at buying a Mini ~ the style/size was what I was looking for (the smaller the better), but having a larger-than-life tachometer on the dash staring you in the face (instead of a traditional speedometer) would take a WHOLE lot of getting used to.

Commentary from guys that actually know-things-about-cars is requested and greatly appreciated.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm quite fond of our Scion xB. Can get 30 MPG on the highway if you mind it a bit, plus it's very accommodating for those of us who are over 6 feet tall and have short legs. Generally a very roomy vehicle, if you get one of the second generation units (2010 or later) rather than the first-round boxes (which got a surprisingly bad safety rating).
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby doctor dan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:16 pm

My hubby had a Mini Cooper S for a couple years before our daughter was born. Warning: It is a rough ride. Bladder-assaultingly rough ride. And our shoulders touched when we were sitting abreast. And there is a small shelf for a backseat, such that a car seat would not fit.

Gas MPG is pretty good. It was fun to drive. And super safe. But that ride...
doctor dan

Postby DeckApe » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 pm

doctor dan wrote:My hubby had a Mini Cooper S for a couple years before our daughter was born. Warning: It is a rough ride. Bladder-assaultingly rough ride. And our shoulders touched when we were sitting abreast. And there is a small shelf for a backseat, such that a car seat would not fit.

Gas MPG is pretty good. It was fun to drive. And super safe. But that ride...

I've ridden in my brother's Mini, and I'm totally stumped for how he does it. He's 6'4" or so, and I swear those things are only about five inches off the ground. I found it hard to get in and out of.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Guy Stuff