What's causing this 9 cent per day increase?

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

What's causing this 9 cent per day increase?

Postby J » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:32 pm

After receiving my "hand me up" '94 Honda Accord from my brother, I have made some modifications that have really increased the MPG on the car. I'm not kidding about this, I'm paying about a third of what I did for gas before, and I still only drive when I need to, seldom for pleasure, so after these modifications, I'm filling up about once a month (if that!).

1) I attached two strong ceramic magnets to the fuel line (like sides facing each other, which made it difficult) and secured them with zip (cable) ties. It only works on the rubber part of the hose closest to the metal intake. That saved me about 3 MPG.
2) I have a 15 gallon tank, and add about 3 ounces of acetone (some say add 2oz per gallon, but I'm afraid it'll damage internal parts) per fill up. Acetone is in most of the fuel saving products at Auto Zone. About a 2 MPG savings.
3) At each fill up, I add a Ferox fuel tablet to the tank. http://www.feroxfueltabs.com/ Saves about 6 MPG.
4) Installed an HHO device to the engine (look it up for details, it's a little complicated). This saves me about 10 MPG.

So with just the additives/modifications, I achieved a 21 MPG increase. That brought my previously 24MPG car to 45MPG.

Also, keeping the tires inflated/balanced, the oil and transmission fluid clean and not driving like a maniac, I have saved another 12 or so MPG.

That brings my car from 24MPG to about 57MPG (give or take 2 or 3 miles). And on a 15 gallon tank, I'm getting about 850 miles between fill ups. And that's what I typically drive in 2 months! So in reality, even though gas is about $3.49 in MA, I'm paying roughly $1.46 per gallon now!

As most of you probably know, I HATE big oil with a passion, and would bring it down in a heartbeat if I could. But the modifications I made to my car and driving habits have brought the gouged price WAY down for me.

Although I did just change the name of the thread to encourage a more constructive discussion.

Just thought I'd share my anti-gouging methods with you. To hell with big oil!
Last edited by J on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J

Re: Big oil can suck me off!

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:58 pm

I traded my mini van in for a Chev Cobalt that was employee priced! Saves about $10 a fill up....$20 at the new rip off price for gas.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:23 pm

I've got a car but rarely drive...The more gas prices rise, the happier I am with taking public transport...High gas prices aside, it galls me the amount of profits the oil companies are making...it's obscene...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:44 pm

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Good point. Half the price in Canada for a gallon of gas is tax. :roll:
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:13 am

Any guess which responder works for the oil industry????
J

Postby Cajun » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:05 am

J wrote:Any guess which responder works for the oil industry????

Sure, but you agree with the data presented, don't you? If not, go ahead and refute it..........

The oil & gas industry makes billions in profits, because it sells hundreds of billions in product. If this country produced more DOMESTIC energy, and relied LESS on foreign imports, we wouldn't be in this mess again. You're dealing with a commodity, just like pork bellies. We have billions of barrels waiting to be tapped, but they're off limits.....

And if anyone wants to debate the reason why we halted ALL offshore drilling because of the Horizon incident, but didn't ground ALL commercial aircraft the last time a 747 fell out of the sky, be my guest :?

PS Jeff: Ever wonder who produced that amazing acetone that you're burning in your gas tank, and is burning UP your gas tank in those mass quantities???? You're welcome.
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby Davy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Cajun wrote:
PS Jeff: Ever wonder who produced that amazing acetone that you're burning in your gas tank, and is burning UP your gas tank in those mass quantities???? You're welcome.

If someone can find a way to reduce consumption of the product you appear to be pushing-- even if it means using another product made by the same industry, then it's well worth it. The oil industry has this country by the balls and they know it. Now they want the State of Alaska to hand them $2 billion a year in tax breaks just so they will think about investing. They'll be back next year to talk about bigger tax breaks so they will think about it some more. There is no excuse for giving away money to the most profitable industry in the history of mankind when that same money could instead be used to benefit the people who live here.

I agree. Big oil can suck my balls!!!
Davy

Postby nimby » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Davy wrote:I agree. Big oil can suck my balls!!!

Um, on here, that's a good thing, no? 8)
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Well who can blame Lane for defending the fast rising prices? After all, someone's getting rich off them, the oil barons (of which he is one), and knowing him, he's doing VERY vell financially.

Acetone sucks. I saved almost nothing with it. The HHO thing I installed, however, is saving me about 10 miles to the gallon (oil barons hate this because it saves 25-60% per tank, driving down their sales... Too bad, so sad! LOL). Strapping neodymium magnets to the fuel line has saved me at least 5-6 miles to the gallon. I've gone roughly 630 miles since my last fill up and I still have a quarter of a (15 gallon) tank left. So suck me off oil barons!
Last edited by J on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J

Postby nimby » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Don't forget the rampant price fixing and collusion that occurs in the industry. But since that goes on everywhere, that makes it ok too.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Davy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:57 pm

nimby wrote:
Davy wrote:I agree. Big oil can suck my balls!!!

Um, on here, that's a good thing, no? 8)

Um...good point.
Davy

Postby J » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Lane's just pissed off that I'm revealing ways you can save a lot of gas. I've met him, he's an oil baron, he's loaded, and I'm sure he'd be very upset if US gas comsumption dropped by 40% or more. He'd have to sell some of his many houses (that he's bragged about before) and God forbid, live a life of semi-luxury. Makes you sad, doesn't it? 8)
J

Postby foxeyes2 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:54 pm

I've met Lane as well. He is one of the nicest, kindest, most generous caring men I have ever had the honor of knowing. He is a good man with a great big heart, compassionate, open hearted and intelligent. Yes he does work for an oil company but he is not an oil baron. He has worked hard for years to be successful in his field but to say that he has many homes is a lie and what he does have he earned. To attack him personally is beyond the pale.

Knowing Lane he wants people to save money and be frugal. He encourages it and practices it himself.

Look at the graph. Compare the profit percentiles. Is there an outcry against the other companies making profits?

Yes we do need to decrease our dependency on oil but if someone were to "bring them down" then lots of people would be out of a job. People would go hungry, lose their homes, and do without medical care.
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. There is always a cause and affect. Think all things through to a logical end.

So I encourage you all to have an intelligent discussion about this topic and hope that the attacks on Lane will cease.
If not then the moderators should step in and deal with it according to the established guidelines.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby J » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:10 pm

You just don't get it, do you? Not that I care about you at all. What you said means nothing to me.
J

Postby nimby » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:16 pm

As the graph above is provided by The American Petroleum Institute, lets peruse anothe source.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/ ... index.html
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Administrator's Note

Back Off

the ad hominem attacks

Continuing will result in temporary suspension of privileges.

End Administrator's Note
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby nimby » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:49 pm

J wrote:Lane's just pissed off that I'm revealing ways you can save a lot of gas. I've met him, he's an oil baron, he's loaded, and I'm sure he'd be very upset if US gas comsumption dropped by 40% or more. He'd have to sell some of his many houses (that he's bragged about before) and God forbid, live a life of semi-luxury. Makes you sad, doesn't it? 8)

I, for one, don't give a crap who has how much of what. Doesn't interest me in the slightest. But I do believe in flaming the idea, not the person. After all, isn't this what we're here for, mature discussion on a variety of topics?

Geez. I just thought I'd present a more unbiased source of data. :shock: Not cool.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Davy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:58 am

The graph shows the percentage of the profit margin, correct or incorrect (I'm inclined to believe the latter, since it is produced by the oil industry). It DOES NOT show raw numbers. The oil industry is the SINGLE MOST PROFITABLE industry in the history of human civilization. And every day that we have to grab our ankles every time we gas up at the pump, that's another day that RECORD PROFITS flow into the hands of the oil barons. It's also money that flows into the hands of terrorists.
Davy

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:24 am

My dad made a nice living in the oil business....but we certainly aren't rich! I don't know about the U.S., but in Canada the big banks make even more obscene profits. Last year alone it was more than $20 billion. And it's been like that for 20 years now.

The price of oil used to go up and down at least. I know now it's mostly up, but it does tend to go back down depending on seasons. And selling gas is actually a lousy business to be in....they make more profits on the snacks and car washes! The profit on the actual gas is like 2 cents a litre or some pittance like that.

The reason oil costs so much is just simple supply/demand economics. When there's limited supply for something in high demand, the price goes up.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Davy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 am

It's not simple supply and demand, because the supply is manipulated.
Davy

Postby foxeyes2 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:57 pm

J wrote:You just don't get it, do you? Not that I care about you at all. What you said means nothing to me.

Are my feelings suppose to be hurt because you do not care about me? It is obvious the only person you care about is yourself. You personally attack Lane without cause. Remember several years ago when you were still in California and wanted to leave. You posted here on the board that you needed a place to stay. Lane stepped up and offered you a place but you rejected it because you didn't want to live in the South. So the man who you spew hatred about is the only one who offered to help you.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby Davy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Jeff's a good guy. We all have a bad day sometimes.
Davy

Postby nimby » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm

I think he's just feeling the economic pinch, like many of us are, and is fustrated. I'm glad he found one way to help himself. Now for big pharma...

BIG PHARMA CAN SUCK LABIA!!! :D
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Davy wrote:It's not simple supply and demand, because the supply is manipulated.

God. I'm defending the oil business. Umm....world demand for oil is huge. China is making things worse. They don't ride bicycles to work there anymore. Canada is self sufficient in oil, but not the U.S. You guys hog 25% of the entire world supply. And have only 4% of the world's population. If nobody wanted oil, the price would go down. bwah ha ha ha ha ha
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Guy Stuff