What's causing this 9 cent per day increase?

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Re: What's causing this 9 cent per day increase?

Postby J » Mon May 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks Nimby for what you said before, and you're right about price fixing! Maybe we should insist Wall St. pay to fill our tanks since their investors are getting mega loaded while we're squeezed for every cent.

On another note, this morning, gas was $3.98 (for 87) here this morning. By noon, it was up to $4.07. By 6pm it was down to $3.95. I was listening to NPR most of the day and apparently there's a lot of speculation (in OUR favor) since bin F##khead was killed.
J

Postby nimby » Tue May 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Now the most recent gas hikes have absolutely nothing to do with the price of oil. Plain and simple, we are being rooked. Corporate greed strikes again. I got an email like this the other day. I bet it could work...

"With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need
to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gasoline
come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing
their gasoline!

And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gasoline. But we CAN
have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea…

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest
companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any
gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.

If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But
to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas
buyers."

This whole gas thing is getting stupid now and something has to be done.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Davy » Wed May 11, 2011 10:29 am

Given that there are no Exxon-Mobil stations within 1500 miles of where I live, that shouldn't be a problem for me. Tesoro and Conoco-Phillips have a duopoly. They team up to fix...excuse me, set...prices.
Davy

Postby stevestr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Davy wrote:Given that there are no Exxon-Mobil stations within 1500 miles of where I live, that shouldn't be a problem for me. Tesoro and Conoco-Phillips have a duopoly. They team up to fix...excuse me, set...prices.

I boycott Exxon on a personal level because of how they treat gay employees. There aren't too many of them now that I am in Colorado anyway. They were a bigger player in California.

The real reason gas prices are going up and down is because of greedy speculation on the financial markets. A whole bunch of reserve oil was released today and the speculators panicked and now they are predicting gas will be back down to around $3/gal.

BTW, what happened to the $7 California gas promised in previous posts? I think currently California fuel is around 4-4.50 a gal.

Finally, inserting anything into your gas tank except the fuel nozzle is not going to magically make you burn less fuel. You could spend days on snopes.com reading up on each device or read the articles on Consumer Reports. The only thing that will save gas (or in my case, fuel, since I run Diesel) is to not drive as much. Americans have moved in that direction but are not willing to make the complete switch.

For California I used Los Angeles pricing as of 6-23-11: (www.losangelesgasprices.com) GasBuddy

Today's Los Angeles Price (87 Octane): 3.883/gal / US Average: 3.623
Yesterday's LA Price: 3.894/3.632
One Week Ago: 3.927/3.686
One Month Ago: 4.114/3.823
One Year Ago: 3.091/2.755

Further Reading about Today's Reserve Release: http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Governme ... 9-541.aspx
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Postby stevestr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:37 pm

J wrote:After receiving my "hand me up" '94 Honda Accord from my brother, I have made some modifications that have really increased the MPG on the car. I'm not kidding about this, I'm paying about a third of what I did for gas before, and I still only drive when I need to, seldom for pleasure, so after these modifications, I'm filling up about once a month (if that!).

1) I attached two strong ceramic magnets to the fuel line (like sides facing each other, which made it difficult) and secured them with zip (cable) ties. It only works on the rubber part of the hose closest to the metal intake. That saved me about 3 MPG.
2) I have a 15 gallon tank, and add about 3 ounces of acetone (some say add 2oz per gallon, but I'm afraid it'll damage internal parts) per fill up. Acetone is in most of the fuel saving products at Auto Zone. About a 2 MPG savings.
3) At each fill up, I add a Ferox fuel tablet to the tank. http://www.feroxfueltabs.com/ Saves about 6 MPG.
4) Installed an HHO device to the engine (look it up for details, it's a little complicated). This saves me about 10 MPG.

So with just the additives/modifications, I achieved a 21 MPG increase. That brought my previously 24MPG car to 45MPG.

Also, keeping the tires inflated/balanced, the oil and transmission fluid clean and not driving like a maniac, I have saved another 12 or so MPG.

That brings my car from 24MPG to about 57MPG (give or take 2 or 3 miles). And on a 15 gallon tank, I'm getting about 850 miles between fill ups. And that's what I typically drive in 2 months! So in reality, even though gas is about $3.49 in MA, I'm paying roughly $1.46 per gallon now!

As most of you probably know, I HATE big oil with a passion, and would bring it down in a heartbeat if I could. But the modifications I made to my car and driving habits have brought the gouged price WAY down for me.

Although I did just change the name of the thread to encourage a more constructive discussion.

Just thought I'd share my anti-gouging methods with you. To hell with big oil!

There is no way to prove any of these numbers without a methodology to how you calculate MPGs. Do you always log your miles each fill up? Do you always use the same pump at the same gas station? 24 to 52 is a big jump and I just can't see how it would happen. I drive a diesel and can get 41. Your biggest improvements to MPG will be in driving habits. You are probably also spending more in all these gadgets just to save a few MPG.

I would be worried about adding acetone to the engine in any format because of the damage it can do to rubber fuel lines and fittings on the vehicle. See: http://hamptonroads.com/2006/01/acetone ... oogus-idea
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Previous

Return to Guy Stuff