Laced-up, Slip-on or Something Else?

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Laced-up, Slip-on or Something Else?

Postby Guinness Fan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:14 am

Speaking of shoes of course :)

I'm in a suit & tie 5 days a week...and wearing a suit requires lace-up (tied) shined shoes ~ although that seems to be changing with today's casual work attire...

Once a week I drop a pair of shoes off at my local shoe-shine / leather repair place...For $5.00 they do a GREAT shoe shine ~ MUCH better than I could ever hope to accomplish...

So ~ on a typical work-day, what type of shoes do you wear? Traditional lace/tie-up's, sneakers, loafers, boots, flip-flops?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Laced-up, Slip-on or Something Else?

Postby nimby » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:51 am

I prefer a nice slip on when in a suit, but thankfully that's not too often. I've been tied to a suit for way too long and I'm glad to get away from them.

But I am a bit of a shoe-a-holic. I had about 60 pairs before the fire, and that was after I culled the herd, so I'm slowly rebuilding the collection. I have Cole-Haans, Prada, Salvatore Ferragamo, Clark's in both formal and casual. But the best shoes I ever got were $10 blue suede shoes that were so comfortable, and lasted for ever.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:20 pm

nimby wrote:But I am a bit of a shoe-a-holic. I had about 60 pairs before the fire, and that was after I culled the herd, so I'm slowly rebuilding the collection. I have Cole-Haans, Prada, Salvatore Ferragamo, Clark's in both formal and casual. But the best shoes I ever got were $10 blue suede shoes that were so comfortable, and lasted for ever.

You're sooooooooooo gay!!! :P
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby olywaguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:25 pm

When I first started my career in libraries, I used to wear a suit to work minus the jacket. But, as time went on, with each successive job (two since then), I've gone a lot more casual and most of it is for practical reasons (bending down to look at books, dusting, moving things around, etc.).

My every day shoe is a pair of tennis shoes that I have that I get every year from my mom for Christmas. They are available at L.L. Bean. These are tennis shoes with velcro. For a very long time, tennis shoes would come with these extremely long and slippery shoe laces so that every time I took a step, they were always unraveling. I got fed up and began searching for tennis shows with velcro snaps...nowadays, only L.L. Bean has them. I wear them out in a matter of a year. My family knows this and they get me a pair every year for Christmas.

I haven't worn dress shoes or a suit in a very long time. I like wearing suit and ties, but the need to wear them no longer comes up.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby furface » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Got me 8 pairs of boots, from lizard to ostrich. Rotate 'em regularly. Also have a pair of some knock-of trainers got over to Wally World about 3 years ago for under 10 bucks. Only other footwear is a pair of L.L. Bean shearling slippers I got 2 years ago from my ersatz sister-in-law for Christmas.

Even when I wore suits daily, it was a pair of boots. I do love my Tony Lamas.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby mojo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Loafers are nice 'n easy when I need to dress for work or whatever---sneaks and boots, definitely, for casual. (A guy in jeans and work boots is a major turn-on, so I hope I can reciprocate for somebody once in a while--)
mojo

Postby nimby » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:40 pm

olywaguy wrote:You're sooooooooooo gay!!! :P

:oops: Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm known as Michael Marcos. But hey, you don't know how many of those are pumps.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:04 am

Tilt! Revoke Nimby's membership! :P

I wear black Nikes with flat rubber soles that don't slip on ice. I live in a city where it occasionally snows in July. :roll:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:36 pm

The shoes I wear daily now are a pair of boots. Other than that my favorite shoes to wear are slip ons but I don't have any of those currently. I tend to run my shoes down to the brim ( no joke) I desperately need to pick up some new ones...
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby matinee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:35 pm

I have 5 pairs of good quality shoes. Hiking boots, running shoes, summer sandals, and black and brown dress shoes. I replace whatever wears out or really is out of style. I cannot stand flip flops!
matinee

Postby edu999 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:05 am

All of the above. I'm Filipino, after all, and I come from the land of Imelda Marcos. LOL. A year or so ago I did major decluttering and winnowed my shoe stash down to about 30 pairs. Now I'm back up to over 50. The stash runs the gamut from oxfords to boat shoes, flip-flops to snow boots, loafers to trekkers.

With suits, it's always lace-ups for me. On a typical workday, it could be anything because my workplace doesn't care what people wear to work. The only kind of footwear I will never, ever wear to work is anything open-toed (i.e. flip-flops and/or sandals).
edu999

Postby nimby » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:45 am

edu999 wrote:All of the above. I'm Filipino, after all, and I come from the land of Imelda Marcos. LOL. A year or so ago I did major decluttering and winnowed my shoe stash down to about 30 pairs. Now I'm back up to over 50. The stash runs the gamut from oxfords to boat shoes, flip-flops to snow boots, loafers to trekkers.

Ahhh, a man after my own heart...
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Guy Stuff