Would You Buy One of These?

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Would You Buy One of These?

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Just saw the Honda U3-X Personal Mobility Device...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuIJRsAuCHQ

Makes the Segway look bulky...would you buy one?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Would You Buy One of These?

Postby Gaydudelaf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Its cool as hell but how expensive would it be? Looks like it would be easier to just walk.
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Postby furface » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:35 pm

It's a prototype of a concept. Was never designed/built to be a commercial product. One of the real world applications it's aimed at is self balancing devices for the disabled. That could also be applied to an exoskeleton for troops/workers/disabled folks. I doubt they seriously expect people to use the thing other than as a novelty or a medical assistance thing.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:11 pm

I'm not sure if I would buy one of those but its freakin sweet! I can see how that technology could be used to really enhance the experience of things. Just imagine one of those in a planetarium or at an amusement park show. Its really nice because you still have complete use of your arms. I'm sure we'll be seeing many devices like this in the future.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 am

It doesn't look like either of those ladies have any disability/mobility issues. That gizmo, in one form or another, will hit the open market. Soon you'll see them wisking people to and from the local Jenny Craig office.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby glas_scot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 am

Science-wise, that is incredible! I love gadget and would love to have a go of one. For disabilities etc, this is a fantastic product if it is to make it past the prototype stage. However I'm sure if was to go on sale for the public, it would be one of those super cool Xmas gifts that gets used once then never sees daylight again.
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby DeckApe » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm

In terms of techincal jiggery-pokery, that is some high-octane cool. But yes, I don't think it's terribly useful. I like to walk... when I actually use my own two feet to get somewhere, I like having the time to think while motating.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Return to Guy Stuff