Gulf Oil Spill at BP drilling site

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Gulf Oil Spill at BP drilling site

Postby butch » Thu May 27, 2010 11:35 pm

If you haven't checked out the live video feed of the oil leak, you can see it at my news site... (scroll down a bit)

http://ButchNews.com
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Re: Gulf Oil Spill at BP drilling site

Postby Earl Butz » Fri May 28, 2010 2:24 am

BOONE Pickens was saying on Larry King last night this latest attempt isn't going to work either. BP was saying the odds of it working are 60-70%. BOONE said they need to dig a relief well, which could take another month or more. Yikes. :shock:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Fri May 28, 2010 6:42 am

Cajun! We need the inside goss :)
solat

Postby Cajun » Fri May 28, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm not allowed to discuss the matter, but you can check out the official live feed of the wellhead at:

http://www.bp.com

Plenty of time to discuss once it's over........
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby Rico » Fri May 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Too many things amaze me lately but I guess that comes with age. Lately, what amazes me most is how ignorant the American people are of how their government actually operates.

When there's a giant fu**-up anywhere about anything, it's the government we turn to fix it, and blame them when they can't. But on any other day, it's "get the government off my back!"

Who in their right mind believes that the U.S. government is in any position to mitigate this disaster right now? Is the U.S. government in the oil-drilling business? No. Does the U.S. government own the equipment necessary to plug the leak? No. Does the U.S. government own and operate equipment to drill relief wells, the only thing that will stop the oil? No.

So WTF do we expect the U.S. government to do? They can hold the bastards (both inside and outside of the government) accountable after this is over, hopefully provide some jail time for those deserving it, but that's about it.

If you want to know why this is....it's a long, complicated story. If you're interested, look into something called A-76....which basically states that the government can only do what's inherently governmental. Everything else MUST.....did you hear that?....MUST.....be left to the private sector. Here's a quote from A-76....the law of the land:

Rely on the Commercial Sector. The Federal Government shall rely on commercially available sources to provide commercial products and services. In accordance with the provisions of this Circular and its Supplement, the Government shall not start or carry on any activity to provide a commercial product or service if the product or service can be procured more economically from a commercial source.

Bottom line...the oil business is not inherently governmental. Stopping an oil blow-out is not inherently governmental, therefore the U.S. government is not equipped to do it. That's why BP and the oil companies are in the driver's seat at this point.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Fri May 28, 2010 9:19 pm

You should be working in PR.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sat May 29, 2010 7:40 am

butch wrote:You should be working in PR.

Thanks. :roll: It did seem like alot of spin, but it's facing reality knowing that the government is neither tooled nor equipped to stop the leak....and that's what I was talking about....stopping the leak. Most experts agree that the leak will be stopped when the relief wells are completed. The ironic thing is that if the U.S. government immediately took over responsibility for the job, they'd have to turn around hire the same folks (private sector) that are trying to do it now. It's similar with the clean-up. That non-governmental function will be contracted out to the private sector as well. The government is equipped at providing logistical support (e.g. C-130's) to tote stuff to the scene, and can monitor the disaster (e.g. satellites in the sky), but other than that and a few other odd chores, they're spectators.

Now as far as the government's role in getting us here in the first place, that's a an entirely different matter. They're almost as culpable as BP IMNSHO.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sun May 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Rico wrote:It did seem like alot of spin, but it's facing reality knowing that the government is neither tooled nor equipped to stop the leak.

Waiting for the government to fix anything is futile, I don't care who's in office. Look at Katrina, I feel bad for the people on the gulf.

Just read that this is now worse than Exxon-Valdez.
J

Postby Rico » Mon May 31, 2010 11:21 am

I guess I'll post this here even though it might be more appropriate in the Current Events thread "Drill Baby Drill", but since Butch started this thread and directed everyone to his website to see a video feed that's available on at least a million other sites, I'll post this here.

Even though I'm enraged that this will probably go down as the the worst environmental disaster in American history, I'm even more enraged at the Republican response, especially that of Louisianna's governor, and his rant about about how the federal government isn't doing enough to help his state. The prick spent the last 6 years railing against the intrusiveness of the federal government. And the MF'er is sitting on millions given recently to the state by BP to help locals, but his government has banked most of it, choosing not to distribute it to local communities.

Also, ignore anything you read about Jindall Drilling and Industries Ltd. Probably not a relation and it's just a coincidence. Where he comes from, the last name Jindall is the equivalent to the western last name, Smith.

And harken back to the Presidential campaign and the Drill Baby Drill strategy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf6fIBRbZ9w

Edited to add this:

GALATIANS 6: 7-9 (KJV) 7: Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8: For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. 9: And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Translation? 1. Everything that you do has repercussions. It comes back to you one way or another. 2. You cannot escape the consequences of your actions. What you do comes back to you. 3. You will see the long-term effects of your actions.

It's a lesson I think we're about to learn all too well. We can't have the oil, the cheap gas, and everything else too. Have to give something up for it, eh? And I only quoted from the Bible because it's a good story book....like Moby Dick. Lots of lessons there.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Mon May 31, 2010 5:55 pm

It's important to cite sources. Here's the one describing how Jindal is holding back funds from the locals. http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-14/1275200404226630.xml&coll=1 And yes, I know...Jindal has only one 'l". But IMO, he's still a dick....one "l" or two.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby backpacker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:01 pm

Well the first thing I have to wonder is why weren't methods to stop an oil leak in the event of a disaster not tested more thoroughly prior to deep sea drilling. Did they just think the automatic shutoff (that wasn't even working) was good enough or that nothing this bad would happen. It seems like a company as big as BP and other oil companies would have tried and true methods that work instead of shots in the dark.
backpacker

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:04 am

I guess there were problems a month or more before it blew up. Chunks of rubber coming up the tubing? That's snot good. :shock:

I think Obama should cancel the congressional hearings on this until they get it fixed, though. He's just making things worse from what I can see.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Excellent insight Mr. Butz! Fix the problem then deal with who's at fault.

I still can't get over the hypocrisy of Jindal. He must know that most Americans have short memories.

Although his current outrage is understandable, I doubt that he has forgotten that in February 2006, while serving as a member of the GOP-controlled US House of Representatives, he introduced the Deep Ocean Energy Resources Act. Passed by the House a few months later, the bill would have opened up the entire US coast to offshore oil drilling. Fortunately it didn't pass the Senate.

Jindal eventually threw his weight behind a more limited bill authored by Democratic senator Mary Landrieu. The Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act, which was signed by George W. Bush that December, gave states a cut of offshore oil royalties in exchange for opening up 8.3 million acres of the western Gulf to drilling, including 5.8 million acres that had previously been set off-limits by Congress.

Interesting read at http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/06/bobby-jindal-bps-best-friend?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Motherjones%2Fmojoblog+%28MotherJones.com+%7C+MoJoBlog%29.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:47 am

Cajun wrote:I'm not allowed to discuss the matter, but you can check out the official live feed of the wellhead at:

http://www.bp.com

Plenty of time to discuss once it's over........

Fair enough too.

They had a super-imposed oil slick graphic over NZ on the news this week to show how big it was.
Needless to say, I'd be swimming in it.
solat

Postby Cajun » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:09 pm

Here's a pretty good explanation of some of the work that's been done to date, from BP. I know it's lengthy, and I know it's technical, but it's a TRUE (trust me) representation of the multiple efforts that have been mounted to get this under FULL control:

http://bp.concerts.com/gom/kentwellstec ... 053110.htm
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby Rico » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:19 pm

I hate to keep picking on Jindal but he's a gift that keeps on giving. He's nearly up to his balls in oil, yet he finds it fitting to write to President Obama on Wednesday criticizing his decision to implement a temporary moratorium on deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico.
Rico
Veteran Member

Return to Guy Stuff