Mens clothing

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Mens clothing

Postby Phoenix6570 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:05 pm

A couple weeks back I started a new job which allowed me to see more people in public. I spend a large amount of time in Home depot which lets me see many men. This has given me new ideas on the way both genders dress.

I'm inclined to say that womens clothing does a far better job at making them look attractive regardless of size. Even plus size women have options which show their curves and present them in a sexy attire. As for men I can't say the same thing. I believe men got the short end of the stick when it comes to clothes. Its very rare that I see certain clothing really make the man look good. I know that some clothing out there exists, but as a whole I think its harder for men to find sexy clothes. (By sexy I don't necessarily mean provocative just something shapely and showing figure.)

My prime example is jeans.I always see women wearing jeans which hug their butts and shapes it very nicely. However I never see jeans which do the same for men. Part of me believe that men aren't viewed as sexy so our clothing is rather baggy and generic. Whereas women are viewed as beautiful so all clothing must show their beauty.

Why do you think this is? Or do you think I'm wrong?
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Re: Mens clothing

Postby ispeaktexan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:45 pm

I think you're wrong, no offense. Everyone has their own point of views.
There are plenty of jeans that can fit guys in many different ways if they know where to look.

But for some reason I have always liked how guys look with those wrangler jeans on.

Sorta like those.
I don't know why, they just look good to me.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Vancouver has a wide variety of clothing stores, a few specifialy for men, and there is a lot to choose from but Vancouver folk are pretty casual about fashion and, some might say, don't care at all about fashion... unlike Montreal which is very into it, and Toronto where fashion is seemingly an important part of one's appearance.

As for jeans selection, there is a wide variety, most of which I don't care for (I'm the kind who likes them baggy and it's gone out of style). Low rise jeans are in and they only look good on really skinny people... and look horrible on most others. Jeans seem not to be designed to look good on the overweight man.

For me, I have large thighs and jeans aren't cut for that kind of guy, so jeans are always a problem as are shoes. There are no shoes made that fit me and I have the choice of having shoes hand made or settling for shoes that sort of fit, but don't. I had "New Balance" runners recommended for me but, alas, their wide sizes aren't wide in the right places (my toes) and I now have permanently damaged toes from years of poorly fitting shoes. I remember my mom crying in a shoe store when I was very young because she couldn't find shoes to fit me. And I don't wear shirts at all. They don't make the arms long enough and the specialty shops (Big and Tall) sell really dorky stuff.

Anyhow... style is a learned thing and many simply wear clothes they have seen in advertisements without learning what looks best on them. Men seem less inclined to try to look good than women. But there is certainly a wide variety of clothing choices available for men in Vancouver if one takes the time to look around. I have bought a lot of my clothes at a store that caters to hip hop styles and I like clothes sold at the many board shops we have here (outdoor stores that sell wake boards and ski stuff etc.)

What with the fact that a majority of people (including men) are now overweight, that presents the problem that most clothing is not cut to look good on (dare I say it?) fat folk... and there are a lot of them out there now. So if you are overweight, there is less to choose from for guys. When I was young, an overweight guy was quite rare, but it's getting harder to find the type of male that was normal to common in my youth. Chunky thighs and bodies seem quite common now.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:34 am

I buy clothes mainly for warmth and comfort....looks are secondary. Sweatpants seem to be the only thing that fit me properly, because I have a huge waist but long skinny chicken legs. :( I wore jeans in high school, but as I got fatter the waist was always way too tight sitting down and way too loose standing up.

I agree women have way more choice. Just look at the amount of stores they have in any mall compared to men. It's about a 10 to 1 ratio.

I don't really care about clothes on men....the only thing I find gauche is if a guy walks into a fancy restaurant wearing a baseball hat. That is just so tacky even I wouldn't do it! :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:14 am

Over all I think men look better in their clothes (when wearing them! LOL) then women. It seems a woman can look fat and frumpy if not wearing the right clothes. Where as a man can always look good generally speaking. Take a mans suit for example a fat man can look just as nice as a man with a trimmer body.
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Postby Phoenix6570 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:29 pm

All good opinions. No offense taken by any statements just wanted to see how others viewed the subject.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat May 01, 2010 7:15 pm

I find it quite different. Here in toronto, I think the young men dress great and look incredible. I've always been a fan of Levi's jeans and Calvin Klien too cause they make my ass look good.I think there is a great variety of clothes for men, and here, generally, men are taking great pains to look good. The women are starting to look slobbish.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Sat May 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Geez if someone didn't know me they'd think im the stereotypical texan. I just realized i posted a picture of a cowboy and my screen name has texan in it.
:lol:

nimby wrote:I find it quite different. Here in toronto, I think the young men dress great and look incredible. I've always been a fan of Levi's jeans and Calvin Klien too cause they make my ass look good.I think there is a great variety of clothes for men, and here, generally, men are taking great pains to look good. The women are starting to look slobbish.

Levi's are cool. Men look good in anything for the most part.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby backpacker » Mon May 03, 2010 1:42 pm

I think part of the problem is the trends that the stores thrust upon guys. I don't know where these came from but a lot of stores are selling these loud patterned t-shirts with print and stuff everywhere which is fine if you like that but I'm not a fan. I like very minimal graphics on tees, stylish but very plain. I go into stores now and all I see is patterns and prints, stuff that was popular when I was in middle school :lol: you have to really look now to find the few tees that still look simple. Bottom line is the choices I think are somewhat limited now. I can still find a good pair of jeans but I don't have an ass so no jean would ever be able to capture that :lol:
backpacker

Postby Daknee » Mon May 03, 2010 7:24 pm

ispeaktexan wrote:Geez if someone didn't know me they'd think im the stereotypical texan. I just realized i posted a picture of a cowboy and my screen name has texan in it.
:lol:

nimby wrote:I find it quite different. Here in toronto, I think the young men dress great and look incredible. I've always been a fan of Levi's jeans and Calvin Klien too cause they make my ass look good.I think there is a great variety of clothes for men, and here, generally, men are taking great pains to look good. The women are starting to look slobbish.

Levi's are cool. Men look good in anything for the most part.

NoWorries Tex we have guy that dress like here in AZ too.
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Postby ispeaktexan » Mon May 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Daknee wrote:

NoWorries Tex we have guy that dress like here in AZ too.

Yeah well I think those jeans fit kinda well. As for me, very plain I wear bullhead bootcut jeans from pacific sunwear.
And usually just a plain colored t-shirt, a band shirt, or a shirt from any activity i'm in.
And usually the same shoes. And in winter, always a black or blue pullover. Very plain, but that's how i like it.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue May 04, 2010 7:56 pm

I think part of the problem is that men's fashion are determined by teenagers. Who came up with the idea that guys should wear their jeans so loose that it falls off their waist with their boxer waistband showing? Whatever happened to tight jeans in a guy? :D

Same thing in sports. Remember when basketball players used to wear shorts that were...short? Now, they are almost like pants. How can they play like that? Only baseball still has the nice tight uniforms. :D :) :wink:

Fashion designers spend more time designing for women because designs change every year. Not so for women. Fashion trends may change once every 20 or 30 years it seems. The last major fashion trend for men was back in the 80s with the Miami Vice look.

I haven't found any good clothes for men older than 19 in the stores. You have to go online to retailers like L.L. Bean to get some good clothes for men. I have a number of shirts from L.L. Bean and I am very pleased with their craftsmanship.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby butch » Tue May 04, 2010 8:52 pm

I've been looking around at clothes lately and have decided it's going to be an off year for me. Nothing out there I'm into this year. I'm kind of old school hip hop... baggy jeans, skater shoes, oversize T. Pretty plain jane. This year is pretty retro to me... seen it a couple of times in my youth and mostly didn't like it then, nor now. The Sinatra area hats are "in" in Vancouver. Don't know what the proper name for them is.

Didn't care for them the last 2 times they came round and still don't. I've been looking for a new hat. Lost my favourite old one. Damn.

I've done baseball hats inside out and sideways... even before they were "in" and I'm into military looking hats or something that has to be completely different, somehow.

When I was young I couldn't find the kind of clothes I wanted in Halifax, where I lived, so I opened my own store and used designs I preferred. Kinda changed the face of men's clothes in Halifax, but that was right at the beginning of what might now be called "the fashion revolution" when the way men's clothing was sold underwent drastic changes as "fashion" stores began to open. They were just larger versions of what I was already doing in Halifax, except I had no competition at all.

Left that all behind when I fell in love and ran off to England in pursuit of my new love.

I've had an interesting path.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby qwertz » Fri May 21, 2010 5:46 pm

The paradox with guys is the less sexy they dress the more sexy they become. Guys are sexy no matter.
qwertz

Postby HunterAndCamper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Biggest problem with mens clothing -- all clothing -- is that it is made to be quick to sew, thus cheaper to make, not to fit.

I'm not skinny, but I'm not fat either -- my waist is 35, my chest 45. Can I find a shirt or a jacket for a 'more traditionally shaped man?'

Heck no.

'Athletic wear' (I lift, do significant cardio, and do martial arts so do count as athletic) is typically all nylon and stretch. It isn't tailored.

So I'd say right now few clothes fit anyone. I go more toward western shirts and Wranglers (though not the mass market store ones) because they do fit better. But only 'better' not great.
HunterAndCamper

Postby butch » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:54 am

I don't wear shirts... they don't make the sleeves long enough and a standard shirt length comes to about 2 inches above my wrist.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby crankycurmudgeon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:48 pm

To quote my father - "Have some consideration for people who have to look at you."

Maybe it is just age or the fact that I tend to be a cheap SOB, but I have been gravitating more and more to the classics - charcoal business suit for dress up, khakis and a white button down or polo shirt for casual wear, jeans and a polo shirt for casual wear. I've found that I'm willing to pay a bit more for good quality that I can wear from year to year.

Now gentlemen, your body changes as you mature and modify your diet and fitness regime. Get current measurements when you purchase your clothes and confirm that you are wearing the right size! Casual is not an excuse for slovenly.
Like a bad penny, some things just keep coming back.
crankycurmudgeon

Postby exairman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 am

In the past couple of years I've started dressing better and better. Part of it was getting out of the military, where you never have to think about what you are going to wear. I started enjoy the feel of nice suit, and looking decent in jeans. Due to holdover habits from the military my shirts and pants tend to be immaculately pressed, with creases that can split hairs, and my shoes and boots are mirror shined.

As far as trend following (not that male fashion has near the variance of women's), I don't really do that. I've always prefered tight jeans, and average fitting slacks. I aim for single color shirts (maybe simple patterns, but not usually). I prefer long sleeved button down shirts (I would rather roll long sleeves than wear short). All and all this never puts on the cutting edge, but never leaves me in the dust either. My personal touch is the combat boots, they can work in business attire, if you buy the right cut of slack/jean/kahki, and it tends to set you apart.

All and all I find that men's fashion is a really boring persuit since there is novariation (except slight diffences in cut, and various colors and patterns). Women have more options, and their fashion changes more significantly. I would just say find what works for you, and stick with it until it doesn't.

Side note: Guys in suits, they may be more clothed than other men, but a good suit is about the sexiest outfit in existence.
exairman

Postby anntaylor » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:13 am

dont know
Last edited by anntaylor on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
anntaylor

Postby Sweeet » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Fashion is designed for teenagers which is why you have to throw it out the window and go with style. Don't let the trends decide what you should wear. For the longest time, I didn't know what to wear. ( I was in the military, so it really didn't matter what I wore.) I don't like following trends but in order to look good or "hot", you are forced to wear what's "in". In order to feel comfortable, I had to start wearing what made me feel good.

I don't wear anything with a designer logo or name. Why should I pay designers hundreds of dollars for the liberly of wearing their names on my chest or ass. I know what I feel comfortable wearing and what makes me feel good. I just recently started wearing (dress) jeans to work. But to be honest, Khaki is my idea or casual work clothes.

You have to know your sizing. Not just S, M, and L. Know your measurements. I carry a card in my wallet that list my sizes as well as "dos and don'ts". I also don't wear pants with cuffs (I'm vertically challenged) or pleats. It's easy to go into a store and buy something that you like and then later decide you shouldn't have bought it. It's also easy to forget what you want which is why I have a "scratch" book that I carry when I shop for clothes. If I see a picture of a shirt, shoes or pants I like in a magazine, I cut the picture out and put it in my book. It might sound peculiar but it saves me time and money.

Esquire did a book last year, "The Handbook of Style: A Man's Guide to Looking Good". It's a great little black book
Different men often see the same subjects in different lights; and, therefore, I hope that it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen, if, entertaining as I do, speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve.-PH
Sweeet

Postby butch » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:57 pm

I had packed up my summer shorts and clothes in Feb. because I was supposed to be moving in May. So when summer came and I was still at my old place waiting for someone to replace me, I had no idea where my shorts were packed among the boxes. Went shopping at all the board shops and trendy stores to try to find the old style baggy below the knees jean shorts only to find the stores were selling mostly plaids and the extra short jean shorts we used to wear back in the 70's... the kind that are chopped off right at the crotch. Been there, done that. No thanks... and that style would look REALLY weird on an old fart like me.

Couldn't find any old style skater jean shorts anywhere, so I looked online and found http://drjays.com where they had tons of shorts. Bought 4 pair but my favourites are the RocaWear Basic R+ style. They are exactly the size they say they are but I bought a pair of 36 and a pair of 38's, just in case... it's not like you get to try them on. They have a good return policy but I didn't want to have that bother with shipping something back to the states. Both fit just fine, but the 38's are a bit looser.

I recommend this site for fast delivery and low prices (compared to Canada). They seem to have lots of sales too. The same shorts in Canada would have been twice the price... even with the shipping.

:P :P :P
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby westboard » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:33 am

I've always told myself ,"man, i'm glad i was born a guy!!" cuz to me it just seemed like girls had way too many options and styles and makeup and image expectations set forth by the media and all that stuff. Not to say that guys don't have "expectations" as well, it just seems like ours are more simple, especially when it comes to clothing. I'm glad we have less options because frankly i have other things i'd rather be worrying about than what i put on my back.

i like jeans and pants that fit well, not too baggy cuz then i can't make out their legs underneath, and not skinny because i dont like guys dressing like women. i mean...DUH!! same with shirts, fitting (but not tight) so i can kinda imagine what kinda sexy body they got underneath.

I see up-to-date fashion as a nuisance, it's just something you gotta keep up with or pay the consequences for not. For such things like interviews, professional business, etc i think it's necessary to keep up to date with basic fashion...or fall by the wayside for not.

But lucky for us, men's basic clothing is fortunately simple. I go to askmen.com and just look around there for "fashion rules" and make sure i get a few of the rules down and go out and get the fundamental clothing articles. But i dont think there's any need to go overboard, i'm not going to be more attracted to a man just because his closet is 3 times as big as mine. but i WILL be unattracted to him if his clothes don't fit well or if his method of dress makes me go 0_o
Drowning in the sea of love,
Where everyone would love to drown...
westboard

Postby anntaylor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:07 am

Yes I agree with You all, men looks perfect in almost any type of clothing except womens clothes :mrgreen:
anntaylor

Postby Rico » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:44 am

We have it soooooooooooo easy compared to women. To me men in most shapes and sizes can look sexy by keeping it simple with just the right choices.

When I dress for work I go for dark, flat-front slacks, a dark shirt, and a dark tie....like below. Since I don't like to wear suits, I keep 3 sports jackets (blue/gray/brown) at work in the event I need to put one on.

This is very sexy work attire and similar to what I wear to work every day:

In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:50 am

One trend in men's clothing that I am enjoying is the return of men wearing tight jeans again via the new "skinny jeans" fashion trend.

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Next

Return to Guy Stuff