Satellite Radio... worth the money?

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Satellite Radio... worth the money?

Postby jkav » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:19 pm

Anyone have a satellite radio receiver? I spent all last weekend driving my grandma's car which had Sirius built in, and I'm thinking about buying one for myself.
Last edited by jkav on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Re: Satellite Radio... worth the money

Postby ispeaktexan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:32 pm

Yes. Its much better than regular radio. Has its variety, not great but its relatively inexpensive anyways.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Re: Satellite Radio... worth the money?

Postby lazyrascal » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:58 pm

If you already listen to AM/FM radio then its certainly worth the upgrade. I've had people tell me that once they went sat radio they would never go back to traditional radio. Best thing about it is you hear a far greater range of music unlike the top 40 stuff which can be get a bit repetitive on normal radio. More talk shows, sports channels, even a dedicated gay/lesbian channel. :D
lazyrascal

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:00 pm

I've never found a gay/lesbian channel and i have 3 cars with satellite radio...
But i did find a good metal channel, good oldies channel, good raggae channel, and some nice instrumenal/jazz channels.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby lazyrascal » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:07 pm

Yeah all those other channels are awesome, but there is a gay/lesbian channel. Its called OutQ radio. On Sirius.
lazyrascal

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:20 pm

Well i have 2 XM, and 1 Sirius, and i haven't found it. But its fine, i wouldn't be able to listen to it anyway. Those are my parents vehicles. My car has regular radio....and a CD player.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:58 pm

I've been a Sirius subscriber for about 3 years and I'm a huge fan of satellite radio with one HUGE GIANT WARNING....the Sirius-XM management and business model sucks big time, and they don't give a sh*t about their customers.

Satellite radio in the car is only worth it if it's built in with the car radio. Otherwise....you might furgettaboutit.

Sirius radios are getting worse with every upgrade...they're mostly plastic...most are unrealiable....and if you have them in the car you end up with wires all over the place, searching for an open FM station to which you can relay the signal, and are stuck with antenna wires so fragil that they crack regularly and require $40.00 replacements, etc. Bottom line....Sirius subscriptions are down, the stock has dropped nearly 1,000 percent, and they make their money selling crappy hardware. If I were in charge of the world, I would fire the entire management and start over with a customer-friendly company. I've never seen a company whose motto should be: "How can we screw our customers next?"
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Yeah all of ours came built in...
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby lazyrascal » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:40 pm

Rico wrote:I've been a Sirius subscriber for about 3 years and I'm a huge fan of satellite radio with one HUGE GIANT WARNING....the Sirius-XM management and business model sucks big time, and they don't give a sh*t about their customers.

Satellite radio in the car is only worth it if it's built in with the car radio. Otherwise....you might furgettaboutit.

Sirius radios are getting worse with every upgrade...they're mostly plastic...most are unrealiable....and if you have them in the car you end up with wires all over the place, searching for an open FM station to which you can relay the signal, and are stuck with antenna wires so fragil that they crack regularly and require $40.00 replacements, etc. Bottom line....Sirius subscriptions are down, the stock has dropped nearly 1,000 percent, and they make their money selling crappy hardware. If I were in charge of the world, I would fire the entire management and start over with a customer-friendly company. I've never seen a company whose motto should be: "How can we screw our customers next?"

I agree and disagree with some things you mention here. Yes, Satellite radio works the best when it comes pre-installed in a car. But it can work just as well when you add it to an aftermarket receiver that is "Satellite Ready" or to just about any make or model using an FM modulater/Aux input. It's also less expensive to add aftermarket SAT radio then taking your car to a dealer or buying a car that has it pre-installed. I'll break it down nice and easy: :wink:

If your car is equipped with it's original receiver (the thing with the volume nob and track up, track down) you have the option to buy a portable tuner which can range from $50-$300 bucks. Of friend of mine has a Stilletto which he paid good money for, its has a color screen, it saves his favs, and wholelotta other neat little features. Another buddy has a Stratus, which IS mostly plastic, paid like $30 bucks for with a mail-in rebate and works just as well....its just not as fancy. The beauty of portable tuners is that you can move them from car to car or even use them in your house. But there must be a DOCK every place you move them to (a dock is basically power, audio, and antenna by the way). It will cost extra to install a dock in another car or have one in your house of course. Since this is America and nothings free. Except HD radio but thats another topic. :lol:

If you go this route, SAT radio to OEM receiver, be sure to invest $25 in an FM direct connect A.K.A. FM modulator. This way the audio signal is connected directly to your cars FM antenna. Very clear reception!!!! The Sirius radio car kit comes with an FM transmitter which is not as clear. Its the same piece of crap technology that you always hear people complaining about. People buy those cheap FM transmitter ipod devices that plug in a cigarette lighter. Same thing with SAT radio. Stay away!! There dookie. If your doing it yourself make sure to mount the antenna on top of the car on METAL. Not on the dashboard. Personally I would have it professionally installed. When you do it yourself there will be wires all over the place like Rico mentioned, because lets face it do-it-yourselfers aren't professionals in most cases. This type of install should cost like $60 bucks + the tuner + the fm modulator. And depending on your car, an antenna adapter combo kit. like $30 bucks. You can easliy keep it around a $150 budget.

If your car's original receiver comes equipped with an "Auxillary Input." Well your in luck my friend, because you can screw the whole Fm Modulator deal and just buy a 5 dollar 3.5mm minijack and listen to SAT radio that way. Which gets the best audio out your speakers.

If your car has an aftermarket receiver with an aux input you can hook up a portable tuner this way as well.

If you car has an aftermarket receiver that is "SAT READY" or you plan on buying an aftermarket receiver that is SAT ready heres another option. You can buy what is known as Satillite Direct Connect. Which consists of three pieces: 1)the receiver.....say a Pioneer CD/MP3 Player 2) a SAT radio interface....the one that works with Pioneer and 3) the tuner.......which works with many brands, Pioneer, JVC, Clarion, Sony, Blaupunkt, etc. If you choose to go this route its very cool and convenient because the station, the artist, the title, and in some cases the bars of reception will be displayed on the LCD of the receiver. And everything is controlled with a remote control...if your receiver comes with one, or on the unit. If you already have a receiver that is SAT READY it should cost between $150-$200 to add it on, this is including install, interface, and tuner. Still beats what a dealership would charge to add it on.

I hope I cleared things up a bit. I don't work for Sirius/XM by the way. Just know alot about car audio and video. :D
lazyrascal

Postby Rico » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:26 am

Nice summary. TBH I haven't had much trouble with the low-end portables until now...even in the car, and that's with the antenna on the dash. Instead of clipping on to the base, so that they can be slipped off, taken to another car, or hidden in the glove compartment to prevent theft, the "improved" versions are hard-screwed into the base, which leaves them vulnerable to theft and damage from hot interiors. I wish I had a satellite ready receiver in the car, but I don't. I've also noticed the newer models don't have as powerful a built-in transmitter as the older ones, and now require yet another wire from the satellite receiver on the dash to move the signal closer to the car antenna.

I still use at home the first Sirius radio I bought (X-Act....antique, no? :lol: ), but it still works and has a built-in transmitter so strong that I keep the radio docked on the ground floor and transmit to FM radios throughout the house, from the basement to the attic.

Like I said, I'm a real fan of satellite radio, especially in the car on those long drives. But I really don't understand the Sirius-XM business model. The money and focus should be in subscriptions. A clever business might consider giving the damn hardware away just to get more subscriptions and get people hooked on the product. Like the man said who sold food at the carnival: "What you lose on the popcorn, you make up on the peanuts."
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Return to Guy Stuff