Resolutions & Goals for 2009

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Resolutions & Goals for 2009

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:12 pm

Mine are simple, so far. Plus since I am not a member of the proletariat (aka I am not working) I have plenty of time to work on my goals.

1. Project 365: take a picture everyday for 365 days.
* I've found 2 ways to do this, 1 being a picture of me everyday, the other being a picture of something else. I'll be doing both.

2. Max out Roth IRA- huzzah!

3. Debt reduction plan.
* Easy-breazy after orders start.

4. I have monthly and quarterly health goals being developed, much easier to accomplish than some obtuse or lofty resolution for the year.
Right now the common theme is weight/fat loss and improve my running.

5. Declutter: starting with a revamp of my filing system, then sorting clothes and books. And on to whatever else there is. It appears my possessions have doubled since I traveled the Oregon Trail. Must... stop... helping... economy of purchase and debt.

6. Finish the apartment. I've got bookcases up, but not mounted to the wall and filled with books. I'm lacking a desk/table and chairs/stools. And there's still nothing on the walls.

7. Explore the Pac NW.

8. I sense a March visit to AZ.

9. Finish all Bday and holiday shopping before I leave so I can just call or email "make sure to send Box #A to so-n-so by this date and Box #C to this person 2wks later"
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby Guinness Fan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Mine is a repeat from last year...Quit smoking.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby blackmet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:49 pm

1) No more than 2 fast food meals per week. I eat out way too much. Need to save money and eat better.
2) Hit gym at least 2X a week. I haven't been in over a month. My body feels it. And I can't take the kettlebell class I want to take because I'm taking a class for work.
3) Quit smoking -- I doubt this will actually happen, so I'm putting it further down the list.
4) Keep the apartment and car cleaner
5) Join a political group/bowling league/volunteer group. Something other than being at home working on my Word Mojo skills.
6) Be on time to work each day -- I'm so bad about being late. I'm rarely MASSIVELY late, but I'm late a lot. It's not cool.
7) Have a relationship. It's not like I'm too busy to have one, my life is just structured improperly for it. And I can easily fix the structural problem, just need to do it.
8) Increase minimum savings cushion from $1000 to $2000. Debt reduction is on the list as well, but things are going to be REALLY tight for at least the first few months of this year. Damn doubled in price health insurance and weird new pay schedule.
We can sit for a while and talk about
The things that bring you down
Like heaven and martini's
And boys that hang around
If if told you my biggest secret
Would you promise me you'd stay?
It isn't what you're thinking
It's simple in a way
blackmet

Postby dracuscalico » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:39 pm

New Year's Resolutions are like Birthday wishes when you blow out the candles. If you TELL, it's not going to happen. If you don't believe it, HOW many of your resolutions have you actually succeed at? 100%, 10%, or 1% ?
Last edited by dracuscalico on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Guinness Fan wrote:Mine is a repeat from last year...Quit smoking.

Mine, too. . . So far, so good. . . .
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:06 pm

I want to use all my vacation time this year. Carrying over PTO is for nerds.
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:21 am

I want to spend 25% of my days away from work (1 in 4) attending the Honey Do list. Just pick one and work at it.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Cachasa » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:19 am

1. Get into better shape by increasing the amount of weight I lift, the time I run, swim and train martial arts.

2. Graduate from University

3. Get my savings back up to 10,000$ from 9500$ (It's hard when your a student who only makes 500$ a month.)

4. Join the Canadian Military sometime in April/May. When I can get all of the paperwork regarding my degree together.

That about sums it up.
Cachasa

Postby Phoenix6570 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:25 pm

My main one is to continue losing weight, which is going fairly well. Other than that my only real goal is to find a boyfriend. I still have yet to be in a relationship (pathetic huh?) That and to get a car along with my drivers license.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby JakeMIke » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:18 pm

The only time I don't make goals or resolutions is New Year's, just to be contrary, I guess. You can make them anytime, you know.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:26 pm

^me too.

I don't see any reason to make special ones. Besides, if you set too many goals at once, then you crash on one and you give up on the others. Well, at least most people I know do it that way. So I just make small steps throughout the year.

The timing may seem suspicious, but I am going to try to kick the last little bit of the smoking. 2 or 3 cigarettes a day isn't much, so hopefully I can finally get rid of that last little bit in the next few weeks.
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:02 am

If I could smoke 2 or 3 cigs a day, I wouldn't bother trying to quit. The problem for me is that I use the "2 or 3" goal as a reason to keep a pack or two at hand.

I've been a heavy smoker to 30 years. Nothing short of cold turkey's going to work for me. . . . I'm on day 3 of it, by the way.
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:47 am

Well done Sasquatch! I fell off the wagon last night...Couple pints and then next thing I knew, half a pack was gone.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:50 am

We went out to dinner last night and I had a couple of Sam Adams with my steak. I expected to crave a smoke as those in Hell crave ice water, but it wasn't too bad. . . .
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:56 pm

^^^^

good job stay with it.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby DeckApe » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:22 pm

Good for you, 'Squatch!

So, are you finding a new hobby to keep you distracted from the nicotine?
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Freud said that smoking is a substitute for masturbation. . . . I'll probably be leaving the house again sometime in June. :?

Seriously, I've got plenty on tap to keep me distracted. I'm just hoping I don't start gaining a bunch of weight. . . .
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Zuzu, when people go off nicotine they gain weight. Ballet dancers smoke because it helps keep them lean. You're gonna have to pick up the pace with exercise to make up for it. Plus it's a great incentive not to smoke, when you are "sucking wind" to get through a workout.

(Somehow, I heard that smokers had an oral fixation.... :twisted: .....)
Last edited by dracuscalico on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:52 pm

Yeah, same here... my one "resolution" for 2009 is to quit smoking.

And I disagree about the "substitute for masturbation" part. I get sex regularly, jack off even more regularly, and still smoke. lol
edu999

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:22 pm

edu999 wrote:I get sex regularly, jack off even more regularly, and still smoke. lol

Unless you're a LOT more coordinated than I am, I hope for your sake you don't try all three things simultaneously. . . . :shock:
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:24 pm

It's anatomically possible...(and note how consistently "mellowed out' he is... :wink: )
Last edited by dracuscalico on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:25 pm

dracuscalico wrote:Plus it's a great incentive not to smoke, when you are "sucking wind" to get through a workout.

Sucking wind? Ewwww. . . .

I've read that I can expect my metabolism to slow down as my body adjusts to not being revved on nicotine all the time. . . Between that and the oral fixation, I WILL have to get some kind of regular exercise thing going. . . . Once it gets warmer, I mean.
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:26 pm

dracuscalico wrote:It's anatomically possible...

But think of the possible cig burns! :shock:
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:
dracuscalico wrote:Plus it's a great incentive not to smoke, when you are "sucking wind" to get through a workout.

Sucking wind? Ewwww. . . .

I've read that I can expect my metabolism to slow down as my body adjusts to not being revved on nicotine all the time. . . Between that and the oral fixation, I WILL have to get some kind of regular exercise thing going. . . . Once it gets warmer, I mean.

Buzzzzzzer ! No No No No No....

You have to start NOW, before the problems kick in.

You need to do it NOW while you are motivated.

You need to do it NOW like tell us what your workout was like by tomorrow!
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:40 am

Is the Boss paying you to hassle me? I'm currently getting this same grief from him, almost word for word!

Little bastards! Off my lawn, all of you!!!! :x
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Guy Stuff